Fastest method to calculate Bubble Factor?

    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2011 Posts: 905
      Whats the fastest method to calculate the bubble factor of each player:
      (a) in a final table of 30-man final table where the payout structure is:

      1st 36%
      2nd 23%
      3rd 16.5%
      4th 11.5%
      5th 8%
      6th 5%

      (b) in 10/9 man SNG's with a 50/30/20 payout structure

      I saw this in a PS article and it made wonder how it was calculated




      Thanks guys! :s_cool:
  • 11 replies
    • savage1981
      savage1981
      Bronze
      Joined: 31.05.2010 Posts: 945
      There is no way you'd be able to do it in game.
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2011 Posts: 905
      Yeap, you cant do that while playing but if you know an approximate BF from a similar scenario you studied you can use it to assist you in your decision making

      In my original post I was refering to after game analysis :)
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Joined: 12.10.2010 Posts: 5,976
      Hi, maritsula!

      Did you check this article as well? Click

      I think it could be in a good help for you!

      Cheers!
    • Bobbs
      Bobbs
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2006 Posts: 4,264
      There is an AHK script that calculates bubblefactors but it has only four spots for the payout structure.
      Just google "Bubblefactor AHK" if interested.

      To actually calculate something that is way more useful than these odd bubblefactors, you can use Phzon's ICM Explorer.
      But you'll have to pay 20$ for being able to plug in your specific payout structure.

      Or you can read my article and do some calculations by your own, of course. :)
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2011 Posts: 905
      Originally posted by kurrkabin
      Hi, maritsula!

      Did you check this article as well? Click

      I think it could be in a good help for you!

      Cheers!
      Thanks Kurrkabin for the reply. I did read the article and thats where I first became familiar with BF. However my question is about how to calculate the bubble factor in a more efficient way. Because if I do by comparin equity before/after it will take forever;p
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2011 Posts: 905
      Originally posted by Bobbs
      There is an AHK script that calculates bubblefactors but it has only four spots for the payout structure.
      Just google "Bubblefactor AHK" if interested.

      To actually calculate something that is way more useful than these odd bubblefactors, you can use Phzon's ICM Explorer.
      But you'll have to pay 20$ for being able to plug in your specific payout structure.

      Or you can read my article and do some calculations by your own, of course. :)
      Thanks for the reply Bobbs. The article you refer to is the one in the strategt section of PS about bubblefactors?

      I think my best choice is get the premium version of ICM explorer
    • Bobbs
      Bobbs
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2006 Posts: 4,264
      Yes, you can see my name on the left upper corner of the article.

      Regarding the purchase of ICM Explorer:
      I have to admit that the $20 spend for this program were probably the best $20 I've spent poker-related. :)

      If you want to calculate the risk premium neeed, instead of the bubblefactor with ICM Explorer, just put in the payout structure and the stacksizes and set the blinds to zero. Then just use the difference between the printed equity and 50% to get the premium and add this to the pot odds you get when you only consider the chips.
      (This is of course only an approximation but for me it works incredibly well.)

      Btw. I am still finding tons of new possibilities to use ICM Explorer for really cool stuff. You have to spend some time to get into Phzons thought process behind all these buttons but if you are successful, this program let you calculate the important factors to consider in almost every situation imaginable in SnG play.


      Cheers,

      Bobbs
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2011 Posts: 905
      Originally posted by Bobbs
      Yes, you can see my name on the left upper corner of the article.

      Regarding the purchase of ICM Explorer:
      I have to admit that the $20 spend for this program were probably the best $20 I've spent poker-related. :)

      If you want to calculate the risk premium neeed, instead of the bubblefactor with ICM Explorer, just put in the payout structure and the stacksizes and set the blinds to zero. Then just use the difference between the printed equity and 50% to get the premium and add this to the pot odds you get when you only consider the chips.
      (This is of course only an approximation but for me it works incredibly well.)

      Btw. I am still finding tons of new possibilities to use ICM Explorer for really cool stuff. You have to spend some time to get into Phzons thought process behind all these buttons but if you are successful, this program let you calculate the important factors to consider in almost every situation imaginable in SnG play.


      Cheers,

      Bobbs
      Very helpful information man. Thank you for that.

      So to sum it up, it's better if I train with the risk premium instead (which is similar to BF) and phzon registered icm explorer allows me this possibility in any sng format.

      Btw, your article is excellent
    • Bobbs
      Bobbs
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2006 Posts: 4,264
      Yes, but be sure to set the blinds to zero to get something similar to bubblefactors.
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.12.2011 Posts: 905
      Why do we get a higher risk premium with 0 blinds though?
    • Bobbs
      Bobbs
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.01.2006 Posts: 4,264
      Originally posted by maritsula
      Why do we get a higher risk premium with 0 blinds though?
      This is exactly the idea behind the bubblefactor.
      The payout distribution forces us to pay some sort of premium/tax even if there are no blinds at all.

      If you look at my article about bubblefactors, you'll see that they are always calculated by supposing that there are no blinds at all.
      This is because the blinds will determine our pot odds.