Responding to MID stack (40-50BB)shoves pre and post flop.

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      I have been leaking a fair amount of my winnings to the mid stacks lately. I obviously have a bad winrate against them and they are just so pesky. some of them are tight, and some of them are loose. some of them just shove to any raise if their hand is good enough preflop.

the question i have for the members here is :
      What is your strategy when facing a shove from a mid stack in a cash game? post flop? preflop? vs tight range SS(5vpip/4pfr-12/10)? vs loose SS(20/18-24/20)? vs medium agressive but not too tight SS(16/14-20/17)?

i seem to be getting dominated too often especially with my TT JJ AQo AQs AJs type hands preflop
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, ilovemagic
      Since this is a strategy question, I moved it to the strategy section, where it is much more likely to get answered in more detail.

--VS
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Just use the equilator to check how wide they are getting it in with and you can easily determine your calling range like that. You will see if you should 3bet or call their shoves w AJ, AQ,.. It's possible you've just been on a cold streak vs them.

By SS, do you mean 20BB? At my network it's 35BB, some shortstackers, I 3bet and 4betbluff regularly because they fold often to this.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Ok, i screwed up i meant 40-50bb, mid stackers. Im going to do a runthru of some all ins or more if i can find them and see their ranges. I figure QQ+ AQs+ AKo should be a good range for calling an all in vs an unknown, i make too many calls.im going to start posting those hands too in the eval forum.

Magic
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I play MSS w 50BB and obviously it is very dependent on the situation but with insignificant info on the opponent my shoves to a 3bet will be with JJ+ and AK if that helps as a guide against an unknown, so maybe take AQs out of that range and call against an unknown with QQ+ and AKo/s and you'll generally be good.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Sounds good. Thats a good range to play all in vs their shove.

Im not sure what my 4 bet range would be if facing a small reraise preflop, but i assume it could just depend on the person, prolly just ak and Kk+ vs unknowns.

My 3 bet range would be pretty wide however around lp and blinds. Possibly even a 15-20% range depending on their ft3b stat.