Need help

• lmfundal
      lmfundal
      Bronze
      Hi everyone. I'm from the Philippines. I play poker for recreational purposes and for extra income. I have a problem. My parents think that poker is gambling. They asked me to stop but I love playing poker. I need to convince them that it is not pure gambling. They're quite conservative so I am having problems explaining to them. Any ideas on how to explain the nature of poker to them?
  • 6 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      This is always going to be a touchy subject - especially with parents. I have had the same struggles with my mother. After 5 years though - she just doesn't ask anymore :D

It will be interesting to hear what our community has to say on this topic...
    • gigenieks
      gigenieks
      Global

I have a problem. My parents think that poker is gambling.

You have a problem? - not the right perspective. It's their "problem". It really is..
      So what does it (your parents thinking poker = gambling) change? I mean, really why it's so important to change their opinion? Btw, they probably trying you to change your opinion - kinda ironic. :s_biggrin:

They asked me to stop but I love playing poker.

Good "comeback" would be:
      So you don't want me to enjoy life? You want me to be miserable? Wait, did I understand you correctyl, you will stop doing something which you love only because someone will say "stop do it", will not support it ? etc

Don't argue, don't be defensive. Because it doesn't matter what "convincing facts" you will present to them - they will ignore them (will not hear). You need to show - earn some money. First time - they will say "you get lucky" or something, 2nd - "lucky again!?", 3rd - they will start to doubt themselves.

For now, ACCEPT that they don't understand poker, and you can't convince them VERBALLY.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      You may want to check these two threads out, they are quite similar but have quite a nice views on the subject, hopefully some of them will help you out.

Explaining Poker to Friends / Family
      Telling People/Friends You Play Poker?

If you're only playing for fun then I don't see how they can have a problem, unless you play in high limits.

Playing a little bit of poker can often be cheaper than a night out on the town which can easily burn £50, do they have some hobbies? Compare it to them! Say you're actually spending less than them with a chance to actually keep what you started with and even turn it into more. Do they Smoke? Again, compare it to anything they spend money on such as Hobbies Habits and Fun in general.

Poker allows you to pay $1 and have several hours enjoyment in one tourney, find better value for money elsewhere!
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      i dont even bother trying to explain to people anymore.
      my nan used to go to Bingo every friday night, i dont remember anyone busting her balls about that

i think the best thing to say is. yeah your right there are people who play poker to gamble and some of them may have a problem but call me a bad person but its thos players im looking for because that is were the bulk of my profit comes from, open holdem manager show some stats and graphs and say look at this shit im not just sitting here and pressing buttons wtf do you take me for some kind of fucking degen? :D
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      or just say look im innocent untill proven guilty,

you prove to me that poker is pure gamble and i have no edge

open up poker statagey forum and 2+2 and they can find out for themselves
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lmfundal
      Hi everyone. I'm from the Philippines. I play poker for recreational purposes and for extra income. I have a problem. My parents think that poker is gambling. They asked me to stop but I love playing poker. I need to convince them that it is not pure gambling. They're quite conservative so I am having problems explaining to them. Any ideas on how to explain the nature of poker to them?
      Hi lmfundal,

Hows it going?

I understand you frustration. To most none poker players the game appears to be a game of pure chance, with no skill or strategy involved.

However, I managed to find the following article(s) which may help to convince your parents that poker is more a game for strategists, rather than gamblers! Simply click on the link below to access the main article:

Poker: Skill VS. Chance.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and best of 'luck' at the tables!

Mark