very bad run....

• cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      hey everyone I do not know what to do .. Maybe I am not constant, maybe I do not know how to organize my time or I do not play full concentrated... I do not know what I am doing wrong but I have lost lately almost 170 of my stack and now I have only 69 €...maybe I do not watch so many videos? or I do not read too much? I have played (with intervals) 1 year and half to make this bankroll, only playing.. and now losing everything... if you open my contact there is my skype, is possible to create a community and discuss or play live? thanks
  • 12 replies
    • gigenieks
      gigenieks
      Global
      Site? NL? What 3 things you consider most important to progress in poker? (I mean what you do in practice :s_grin: )
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      Don't play on stakes where you can lose most of your BR in a few games.

If you lose 2 max buy ins at a single table leave it ASAP, take a break for half an hour then come back on a new table.

If you win 2 max buy ins on a table the same applies.

Try and make notes on every player at the table, if you cant thin of anything to say then chances are they are pretty solid players and should mark them as such.

Don't just stick to one style of poker, change your style depending on the player you are playing.

Mix in a few MTTs every now and then, if you make a deep run you can really boost your BR and can often recoup any losses you may have made in cash games.

If your losing alot then only stick to 2 tables max, it will help you make notes and concentrate on the players, never play more than 2 tables on a bad run, it wont help matters.

Be prepared to move down stakes if the losses start really hurting your BR.

Don't play poker when you are tired or if you've been drinking.

Try and work out when your most profitable time to play is and just play that time slot.

Those would be my tips for getting over a bad run, I'm sure everyone has their own system, that is what works for me though.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      There is good advice in this thread.
      I would add:
      • After each session review your play, take note of your mistakes and how you got into those situations.
      • Post troublesome hands to the hand evaluation forums
      • Take time to read strategy articles that relate to the type of poker you play
      • Take time to attend coaching sessions
      • Be sure to use proper bankroll management (BRM)

Good Luck,
      --VS
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      ;)

I know exactly where you're comming from on this thread. I play lots of free poker online, but still take it very seriously.

My BIGGEST mistakes to date.

Mistake
      >Holding a poket pair or high pair and betting or calling against a card.
      Correction
      >Fold or call 2nd highest pairs or only take small bets.
      >Remember there are 'invisible' cards and pairs that may factor.

Mistake
      >Over-confidant 2 pair (applies to previous as well)
      >More focused on my card than the river
      Correction
      >Same as previous

Mistake
      >Betting up a straight/betting up a flush

Correction
      >Let the opponent bet up their flush and force over-confidence
      >Remembering that there could still be a high straight or flush
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      :spade: Today I realized that I've been losing more than I've been winning, so I changed my strategy entirely. :spade: .

Note: This is either entirely insane or may help a lot, but it works for me.

Let's say my bank roll is at $130.00 and I want to buy into a max $80 table. What I'll do is imagine that I have $2,000 in my bank-roll. What this does is decrease my odds of making a bad call in order to make a quick win and allows me to make raise-checks on the fourth card to push-out bad hands and possibly evaluate the position of other players and my odds of winning with a low or middle pair.

Hope that makes any sense what-so-ever.
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NateMilla
      :spade: Today I realized that I've been losing more than I've been winning, so I changed my strategy entirely. :spade: .

Let's say my bank roll is at $130.00 and I want to buy into a max $80 table. What I'll do is imagine that I have $2,000 in my bank-roll. What this does is decrease my odds of making a bad call in order to make a quick win and allows me to make raise-checks on the fourth card to push-out bad hands and possibly evaluate the position of other players and my odds of winning with a low or middle pair.

Hope that makes any sense what-so-ever.
      what?

I hope someone agree's with what im about to write, but if you have $130.00 in your bankroll, then dont play NL80 (if this exists).. If you have $130 play max NL5.

dont 'raise for info' hate this saying, and its a waste of money, bet/raise for value, bluff or dead money.

dont 'push out bad hands' , you are never going to get someone to fold TPTK for instance on a dry board. use this to your advantage also for VALUE.

odds of winning with a low or middle pair = thin value, not paying money to evaluate..

hope some of this makes sense, and i hope someone agrees.
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      Originally posted by Spungeh
      I hope someone agree's with what im about to write, but if you have $130.00 in your bankroll, then dont play NL80 (if this exists).. If you have $130 play max NL5.

dont 'raise for info' hate this saying, and its a waste of money, bet/raise for value, bluff or dead money.

dont 'push out bad hands' , you are never going to get someone to fold TPTK for instance on a dry board. use this to your advantage also for VALUE.

odds of winning with a low or middle pair = thin value, not paying money to evaluate..

hope some of this makes sense, and i hope someone agrees.
      Hmm... I'm new and I've been using 'raise for info' in this sense

My hand: J:heart: 8:heart:

Table: K:club: J:diamond: 3:heart:

In this scinario I'd raise double min bid vs. checking to keep my hand blind.

Sorry I'm not claiming to be good/pro/advanced or anything. I've been playing free poker on Zynga for only a couple months, but I had no idea how to phrase what I wanted to say. It sounds like this guy is playing on tables vs. tournaments. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I imagine that I have muuuch more money than in my bank roll in order to mentally trick myself to gain an advantage that would have kept me from playing my best.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey cekpirus88 i guess the best thing you can do is just study. what helps me play my A game is i pretend a better player or coach is watching me play and that makes me reason every decision. i dont necessarily have a winning session if i do that but i dont tilt as much and i feel like my decisions are much better.

@ natemilla.. you should check out the strategy section. you will learn a lot from there. but most importantly imagining that you have a bigger bankroll to stop you making bad plays is irrelevant. bankroll management isnt a concept to stop people making bad plays, it is there so we are protected from variance (e.g. when you win in a situation 80% of the time but lose 20%). best thing you can do is just learn learn learn. good luck! :)
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      but most importantly imagining that you have a bigger bankroll to stop you making bad plays is irrelevant. bankroll management isnt a concept to stop people making bad plays
      Thank you! I just wrecked my brain on that page as well as basic strategy. I'm going out into the field now with a combination of 'professional' poker and my own strategy to see how I do.

Thank god for free poker :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      but most importantly imagining that you have a bigger bankroll to stop you making bad plays is irrelevant. bankroll management isnt a concept to stop people making bad plays
      Thank you! I just wrecked my brain on that page as well as basic strategy. I'm going out into the field now with a combination of 'professional' poker and my own strategy to see how I do.

Thank god for free poker :)
      Hi NateMilla,
      I'm not sure what you mean by "imagining that you have a bigger bankroll".
      I just imagined I had 10,000, but no matter how hard I imagined, it wouldn't show up in the cashier. :D

--Sorry, I could not resist.

Bankroll management is probably the single most important skill you will learn on your way to being a successful poker player.

The first step on the journey, though is to pass the quiz and gain access to basic articles.

Once you've done that, register for the "NL Beginners Course", and you're on your way.

Back to the bankroll thing.
      When we say "bankroll" here, we mean the money you actually have at a poker site, whether it came from PokerStrategy.com, from bonuses earned, from winnings or from deposits.
      You should NEVER include money that you have in your own bank account as part of your poker bankroll.
      That way lies madness -- bankruptcy too.

Good luck,
      --VS
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      Hi after 2 years of playing poker I decided to "specialize" in NL 5-10. Big Tourneys I guess are not for me.. if you loose the concentration you can loose the pace of the game and while in NL5-10 or bigger you always play the same, in tourneys you play according to blinds and stack.. Maximum I do sometimes some cheap sit and go, just to vary my game and because sometimes I like to play live (there I usually do not loose concentration). But what do you mean with STUDYING poker? it is something that I do not get so much.. how do you start? do you randomly watch videos? here in this site there is so much material that you do not even know where you can start... I have watched some videos but without any order and now I do not even remember so many because I do not have a specific discipline. What do you suggest? thanks so much
    • cekpirus88
      cekpirus88
      Bronze
      As I understood it s not possible to publish any address (e-mail, skype, msn and so on). So I was guessing who wants to speak online could add me as friend and I will write my contact. is this right? thanks