Lossing control an raging "tilt"

• Sirfred007
      Sirfred007
      Bronze
      How does one control his emotions, example i hit a str off the flop rasie 3x pot value, the bingo player with the gutshot flush draw go's allin i obvly have to call just for this donk to hit both 4th and 5th street hearts, or AA vs Ak and ofc the AK hits a str. after this i cant help but play like a noob and threw everything away, ive done this time after time, its like a cant even help it wtf ?

like ill play hundreds of hands good but after few srs bad beats i rage

sry for the bad english im horrible at it.
  • 25 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      if you can't control yourself just find some way to force yourself to quit after the suckout.
      you also get better at tilt control with experience...

if you want to really get to the roots of the problem you should do something like a self-analysis. just why do you tilt? is it logical at all to rage against someone getting his money in with 5% equity?
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      I'm new to poker but I've been trading financial markets for the last 15 years. I think (hope :) ) the risk management and psychology transfer.

You must come to the realization that an individual hand and even large series of hands have random results. The two ways to judge success are the monetary results of a very large series of hands and your adherence to your plan.

If you catch yourself emotionally unable to play well, you MUST stop. Go for a walk, do something else. But stop. For an hour, a day, a couple of weeks. However long it takes.
      If you are not used to losing, then a stop playing at % lost in a certain amount of time could help. This is on new traders.

The concept of bad beats is new and strange to me. It seems counterproductive to think like that. Making the right decision and losing is better in the long run then making the wrong decision and winning.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by jules97
      I'm new to poker but I've been trading financial markets for the last 15 years. I think (hope :) ) the risk management and psychology transfer.

You must come to the realization that an individual hand and even large series of hands have random results. The two ways to judge success are the monetary results of a very large series of hands and your adherence to your plan.

If you catch yourself emotionally unable to play well, you MUST stop. Go for a walk, do something else. But stop. For an hour, a day, a couple of weeks. However long it takes.
      If you are not used to losing, then a stop playing at % lost in a certain amount of time could help. This is on new traders.
      Jules:
      Very well put.
      I am willing to bet that the psychological skills that are essential to high-risk high-volume trading are very much the same as those required to grind poker.

You are spot-on when you say, "very large series of results" and when you say, "adherence to your plan".

I had something very similar to this posted on the wall above my monitor for months,
      "Making the right decision and losing is better in the long run then making the wrong decision and winning."
      It's great to have you on the forums, and look forward to more,
      --VS
    • AleksandarPPA
      AleksandarPPA
      Bronze
      :diamond: if u rage call girl / wife to make u happy and then when shes outa your room and u had pleasant sex / making love continue to make $$$$$
      :diamond: if u rage find something to hit - NOT WALL something soft i hit pillow about 10 times if that makes it better (pillow is oke with it )
      :diamond: if u rage stop session by going out runnin with your mp3 on with chillax music not METAL
      :diamond: if u rage - go spent a night with friends party ... makes u relax and throw off poker for a night and those awesome bad beats
      :diamond: if u rage - masturbate (joke not healthy at all)
      :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:
    • Sirfred007
      Sirfred007
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for your replys, it might just be poker isnt for me i dont think a walk is going to help here its all about the feeling and emotion, one cant simply change himself overnight~

"By feeling i mean how the hands turns out
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      "Thanks everyone for your replys, it might just be poker isnt for me i dont think a walk is going to help here its all about the feeling and emotion"

Any emotion has chemical implications in the brain. When you get angry you produce a lot of adrenaline and you need endorphin to calm down and stop the process. Take deep breaths and let the adrenaline wear out. If you cannot calm yourself this way, any physical activity will help you produce endorphin. Stop playing, do 20 push ups at once then allow yourself to cool off and see how you feel.

In time you will stop feeling these outburst if you rationalize the bad beats and everything will be easier. To play poker you need discipline, and lots of it. To be disciplined you need to control yourself and to control yourself you need to rationalize.

Good luck at the tables.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Discipline and patience I totally agree.

Something that I had pasted my own monitor: 'Decision correct, Result Irrelevant.'

I'm still a long way from getting the first bit right, so then I can have no complaints about the second part can I?

Oh and your English is just fine; it must be to get so many replies! :)

Hope it turns for you,

Mal.
    • streamXQQ
      streamXQQ
      Bronze
      i would strongly sugest to download holdem mananger if you play on some popular rooms, it helps alot to analyze what hand strenght you realy have, but dont think this piece of software will know all right decisions! use it to only calculate odds and see how strong is your hand, and yes sometimes it tells good advice.
      F.E.
      Once got pocker queens and flop bringed another 2 queens, and since i was first to act mananger told me to just check, and it was right, oponent started beting and i got some nice profit from him :)
    • trgovcic
      trgovcic
      Bronze
      finally some thread with potential !!!!

thanks SIrFred !!!

this is hard question, everybody tilts, but the way you are dealing with is the key.

someone tilt in a way of going on bigger limits, 3betting a lot more and so on,someone goes in a rage mode and starts smashing things...etc etc

theres is so called pasive tilt, when you believe that you arenot tilting but you are in a way of playing bad....

when someone says that he never tilts he is probably lies....

phil galfond have excellent videos for mindset, and tilt control and tommy angelo has also great videos, dont be lazy and watch them and try to understand them.... thats the best advice I can give to you
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      just pretend you are a robot and you don't care. if you get it in with AA/KK pre and they get cracked dont even blink because you made the right decision!
    • trgovcic
      trgovcic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      just pretend you are a robot and you don't care. if you get it in with AA/KK pre and they get cracked dont even blink because you made the right decision!

this is easier to say then do... yeah in vacuume this is the perfect thing to do, but we are humans and we cannot pretend as robots
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

I moved this to learning to win where some of the psychology guys can perhaps have some input.

Thanks
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      Tilt was/is my biggest downfull in poker, i have desimated a few bankrolls in my time, get a bad run a few bad beats get crazy and boom self destruction

on a scale of 1-10 my tilt score was 8-10

now its about 4 on a bad day

what did i do? well i come to terms with variance because i understand it much better now
    • yankomania
      yankomania
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      you also get better at tilt control with experience...
      Just keep playin', keep good BRM and try to manage your Stop-Loss limit or maybe even take day, week, month off from the poker ;)
      Shit happens!
      Best of luck at the tables! :f_biggrin:
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      I had written on here about quitting altogether etc etc and really believed that I shouldn't play anymore as was being out played etc. However what was really happening was I needed to make only a few adjustments and to gain experience and to evaluate my tilt levels.

When you are in a really bad tilt stage think about why it is. Did you play badly? where you given bad beats?. Also think about how long the streak was and most important stop playing . Don't be hard on yourself if you got outplayed its only one session plus you have all the ideas and hand evaluations on here to fix your leaks.

Somedays we all play bad everyone. Somedays we play badly without even knowing it, balance is subtle.

the really bad tilts are when a 15 buyin drop is experienced and something needs adjusting in the game but because of not liking to be a fish for some reason we play on and are even more of a fish lol. If you have really bad losing streaks seek playing advice on here it will help and try a coach.
    • AleksandarPPA
      AleksandarPPA
      Bronze
      i got perfect advice for you 250 buy in strategy ^^ you cant loose ? or can you ! :evil: :s_evil: :rolleyes: troll :s_mad:
    • surfwell1818
      surfwell1818
      Bronze
      Hi some tips I have found helpful from the stratgey videos.
      1)If you get sucked out on.Be happy that there are players out there that make really bad playing decisions, then suck out, then think they are playing great and have a special poker gift,then make the same mistakes again and lose, then think Hmmm I wasn't so lucky this time but I'll be lucky again next time.
      2)Don't play Angry, distracted, when you should be doing something else, tired, drunk.
      3)Take notes on your opponents.If they get it in weak, note it and use when you see them again.They'll think if they remember "Im so lucky against that guy", I'll re-raise him all-in with 9 10's.
      4)Focus on the game.If you begin to lose focus then take a break.
      GL
      Peace
      Simon :pokerface:
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there,

there isn't a simple solution to your problem, and you need to identify the causes of your tilt first. I suggest that you take a look at Jared Tandler's book "Mental game of poker", it is IMO far better than the generic advice which a standard non-tilting poker player will give you :) .

-SF
    • VTomukas
      VTomukas
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sirfred007
      How does one control his emotions, example i hit a str off the flop rasie 3x pot value, the bingo player with the gutshot flush draw go's allin i obvly have to call just for this donk to hit both 4th and 5th street hearts, or AA vs Ak and ofc the AK hits a str. after this i cant help but play like a noob and threw everything away, ive done this time after time, its like a cant even help it wtf ?
      The Mental Game of Poker

Helped me A LOT. Still a lot of work needs to be done working with my mindset, but it helped a lot.