The good, the bad and the ugly: Mutterings of a newb

• Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Games: NL25 SSS, $5 SNG
      Bankroll: $200
      Claim to fame: Came second in local South African tourney cashing about $1250.

Hi everybody,

I am a physics student from South Africa….. and yes I’m addicted to poker too. I started playing poker in November last year and joined PS in February this year. Since then I concentrated on SSS with some success (meaning that I haven’t gone broke yet)

30k hands of SSS: (Good)
      Building my BR steadily on the NL10 tables to $150 then switched to NL25 were I’m at the moment. I believe that BRM is certainly the most valuable tip I received from this site since I’m not the luckiest poker player around (refer to the bad and the ugly sections). I had no major up or down swings on the NL10 tables, but the NL25 has been a real roller coaster ride. Up to $260 at one stage then down to $170 and then up again. Some days I should just take a break because nothing seems to go right. I remember at the beginning playing NL10 one table at a time… waiting an hour for a playable hand just to get busted. Since then I learned to multi table up to 6 six tables before my computer grinds to a halt. Mansion poker writes the stats in a very inefficient way to the hard drive. I used the trial version of Poker tracker and it was really interesting to plot the winnings and to discover leaks. Can’t wait to get 2000 Strategy points and for PS to sort out the bugs in Elephant. One leak I discovered was my PF aggression was only 0.5 because I called the SB when there was no raises in front of me. My AA’s I got like 40 times and 36 times they held up giving me the bulk of my winnings. AQ and AJ is bad news and I’m only about break even with them due to playing them out of position and wrong continuation bets. Learned my lesson! If you deviate from the SSS you might win on the short term but you’ll surely pay DONKEY TAX at some point.

SNG: (Bad)
      Tournament play is really fun and I believe that the real returns in poker come from cashing out in big tournaments. So I’m learning play SNG and I’m only about break even in these at the moment. Winning 31/137 and a few 2nd places in the $1 tourneys but losing the profit on $5 tourneys. I prefer the slow blinds, waiting for quality hands and then play them like a hungry beast. My favorite suckout story: Bubble time in 30 player $5 tourney sitting in second place. Got 63 in bb and nobody raised. Flop 754. So I went all in with my straight and big stack calls with K4! YES! Turn 4. NO! River 7. NOOOO…. Busted by a 44477 full house. Poker I guess… Seem to happen a lot around the bubble in the $5 tourneys. I’m sure that I could show profit in the long run since sample size is too small to make meaningful conclusions.

300k tourney: (Ugly)
      So I was naughty and used my TAF money to deposit $50 at Party Poker. I bought into a $3 qualifier for 300k Sunday tourney (No BR to do that, I know) and came 3rd out of 350 players. I played it last night. Double up with 99 , hitting set very early, then lost chips hitting TPTK then not calling river all in. Other guy had Q9 two pair calling preflop raise with that and hitting on flop. Build up again to 10k chips, got AQ again hitting Q on flop, no flush or straight draws, big stack just calling my raises, turn 6, river 9. Check behind on river… He shows 69 two pair! What a donk! A little while later with 9 bb’s left I raised with QQ hoping for caller and to go all in if no overcards on flop, same big stack raised me all in, I push… He shows KK. I had fun none the less and I’m happy with the way I played.

Community tourney:
      I played in the community NL tourney last night as Mathemagic26. Got some great cards like AA twice, QQ twice in a row and KK, AK preflop. But in poker the hand is not won preflop...AA cracked twice with preflop all ins, KQ (runners for straight) and JJ hit another J to cripple me. Busted with A5 short stack push in SB vs BB with K10. Was really fun.

My overall goals is to learn and play poker in a mathematical optimal way and then to block out results and to have fun playing poker. Ok I’ll stop now... Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
  • 10 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Termi8r very interesting read - welcome to yet another South African (Another South African) :)

It is good to hear that you are analysing your game and looking for leaks! While PT or Elephant are great for this, you should never underestimate how valuable it is to post hands and to evaluate other peoples hands in the hand evaluation forum. I hope you take advantage of this :)

If you want update this post with future developments I can move it to the blog section by the way. There will probably be more readers there :)

Best regards,
      Johannes
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Yeah plz move it to the blog section. Thanks
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      wow nice read.

remember to post your tougher hands in the sng/tourn forum! i'm usually quite bored, only judging ~5 hands a day on the english board :D
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Games played:
      NL25 SSS
      NL10 BSS
      SNG $1 & $5, $5 MTT’s

Current bankroll: $300

(Good) I am finally playing something resembling SSS. Sticking to the SHC now and it is saving me loads of money. In the past I couldn’t fold stuff like AQ, 10 10 etc in early position and went all in with JJ with over cards on board out of position. I would win a few hands then lose it all then win again. Also I am learning to take bad beats in my stride. Usually my session would start with AA being beaten by something like a four card flush then I would get KK against AA and 10’s with 10’s turning into trips…by not tilting I could bring it back and make some profit. So even by playing something resembling SSS you could make you some profit. By playing it 100% you maximize your profit, at the lower limits at least. Higher limits require modifications as explained in the gold section articles but I’m not there yet.

(Bad) I took a shot at NL10 BSS. I am about breakeven at this point. You have to get SSS out of your system if you want to play BSS, the point is not to go all in with only an over pair. Lost 2 stacks with QQ. Have to study some more to absorb all the content properly before playing BSS. I’m going to start playing FL. The articles on FL are very well written and by playing FL I learn all the basics with much lower risk. Once I’m comfortable with FL then I’ll move to BSS.

(Ugly) Looked up my stats on SNG tournaments on the free search you get on the website that must not be named. Terrible! I played 180 tournaments on Mansion. Ranging form $1, $5 and $5 MTT’s (a lot of the latter). I hardly cashed in the MTT’s and in total I squandered $280! I going to stick to $1 and $5 single table SNG’s from now on. Have to reread the SNG articles and practice the ICM a bit more.

I’m standing in front of two nice milestones at the moment. Getting the Elephant license with my 2000 SP and clearing my additional $100 bonus from Mansion. I can’t wait for to get the new version of Elephant that includes Mansion. Once I get the software then I’ll start spamming PS with hands. Most questions I have at the moment could be answered by rereading the articles. I guess everyone starts out completely ignorant and you only become a good poker player by continuous study.

Cheers

[x] SSS works
      [x] I’m a feeeeeeesh
      [x] Poker is fun
      [ ] I’m making money form MTT’s
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Hey all,

I finally got Elephant to work on my computer with all the database issues and all. So I imported all my hands from Mansion up until the 15 may. Switched off the stats because it slowed down the software and I didn't have a tracker program then. Here is the results...

[img]C:\SSS graph.png[/img]

[img]C:\stats.png[/img]

Since then I approximately doubled number of the hands and made a further $160 with some huge downswings on the $0.5/0.25 blinds. Discontinued play there for now. Playing only $0.30/0.15 blinds and 100% SSS. These results look fudged!

Cheers
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Hello again,

Since the last update I received my extra $100 bonus and my bankroll went up to $450. So I decided to give NL50 SSS a bash. Initially I had a nice upswing and was at $480 for a while then suddenly everything changed and I started to lose more than I win...It seem that they play way more aggro at NL50 than NL30 at Mansion. People calling preflop raises with 10 8 and AK continuation bets doesn't scare off and hitting the 10...Getting coolers all the way. Anyway so I started playing last night with starting bankroll of $411 already irritated with my lack of progress then with in a short space of time I got these hands:

Known players:
      Hero:
      $8.50
      MP1:
      $10.00
      BB:
      $23.75
      UTG+2:
      $35.50
      UTG:
      $58.44
      SB:
      $50.86
      UTG+1:
      $59.56
      BU:
      $70.44
      MP2:
      $46.28
      CO:
      $81.93

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.50 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , K:heart:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, CO raises to $3.50, 3 folds, Hero raises to $8.50 (All-In), CO calls $5.00.

Final Pot: $17.75

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows high card ace with king kicker (As Kh)
      CO shows a pair of eights (8s 8h)

CO wins with a pair of eights (8s 8h)

Known players:
      Hero:
      $9.50
      CO:
      $35.77
      MP2:
      $59.44
      MP1:
      $47.17
      MP3:
      $58.81
      UTG+2:
      $72.19
      SB:
      $39.14
      UTG+1:
      $81.48
      BU:
      $57.25

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.50 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:diamond: , J:club:
      6 folds, BU raises to $2.00, SB folds, Hero raises to $4.50, BU raises to $7.00, Hero raises to $9.50 (All-In), BU calls $2.50.

Final Pot: $19.25

Hero shows a pair of jacks (Jd Jc)
      BU shows a pair of aces (Ac Ah)

BU wins with a pair of aces (Ac Ah)

Known players:
      Hero:
      $9.50
      BB:
      $23.25
      SB:
      $27.43
      CO:
      $16.58
      MP2:
      $53.91
      MP1:
      $43.27
      MP3:
      $63.18
      UTG+2:
      $25.15

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:spade: , J:heart: . MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
      2 folds, MP2 raises to $1.75, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5.00, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $13.75, Hero raises to $9.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $24.00

Hero shows a pair of jacks (Js Jh)
      MP2 shows a pair of aces (As Ac)

MP2 wins with a pair of aces (As Ac)

Known players:
      Hero:
      $9.50
      MP2:
      $76.20
      UTG+2:
      $49.50
      CO:
      $62.82
      MP3:
      $49.43
      SB:
      $131.64
      UTG:
      $48.27
      MP1:
      $51.78
      BU:
      $42.08
      UTG+1:
      $48.00

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , K:spade:
      7 folds, BU raises to $2.00, SB folds, Hero raises to $9.50 (All-In), BU calls $7.50.

Hero shows high card ace with king kicker (Ah Ks)
      BU shows a pair of jacks (Jh Jc)

BU wins with a pair of jacks (Jh Jc)

Known players:
      Hero:
      $9.45
      MP2:
      $51.55
      CO:
      $50.00
      UTG:
      $99.45
      UTG+2:
      $88.40
      MP1:
      $54.70
      BU:
      $49.00
      MP3:
      $48.85
      UTG+1:
      $35.15
      SB:
      $13.70

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , A:diamond: . CO posts a blind of $0.50.
      6 folds, CO checks, BU folds, SB calls $0.25, Hero raises to $2.00, CO folds, SB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.50) A:spade: , 5:club: , T:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($4.50) J:club: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.50, SB raises to $10.00, Hero raises to $7.45 (All-In).

River: ($21.95) Q:spade:

Final Pot: $21.95

Hero shows three of a kind, aces (Ah Ad)
      SB shows a straight, ace high (Kd Jd)

SB wins with a straight, ace high (Kd Jd)

So the right thing that I was suppose to do is to STOP! But no! (FFS! why don't I listen to myself) Went off like a canon trying to win it all back! Utter stupidity! Calling all ins with QJ and going all in with 99 etc. For example:

Known players:
      Hero:
      $9.50
      BU:
      $50.63
      CO:
      $9.00
      MP3:
      $9.50
      UTG+2:
      $36.84
      UTG+1:
      $66.75
      MP1:
      $9.00
      BB:
      $63.62
      MP2:
      $18.33

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:heart: , K:club:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, 3 folds, Hero raises to $2.25, BB folds, MP2 raises to $18.33 (All-In), Hero raises to $9.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $28.33

Hero shows high card king with queen kicker (Qh Kc)
      MP2 shows a pair of sixes (6c 6h)

MP2 wins with a pair of sixes (6c 6h)

So to conclude I lost another 4 buy-ins and my bankroll is now $330. I'm feeling better now and will read more about downswings and the rest. I'm certainly a very typical example of a beginner hitting his first real downswing. I'll take a break of playing and study a bit more. Furthermore I'll move down to NL30 and grind my way up to at least $430 before playing NL50. Guess how I react is going to define me as a poker player...

Cheers and good luck at the tables!
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      About time for an update...

I have played around 100k hands SSS so far. A lot of hand histories got lost with PT2-elephant-PT3-change of laptop-switching mansion stats off for performance issues. I switched to Poker Stars now with elephant hud.

Current bankroll: $430

Here is my SSS graph so far for the 45k hands or so I have:

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Grant\Desktop\SSS.png[/img]

I identified some major leaks:

[x] Too many tables ("downswing" of graph = multi table (12) * tilt)
      [x] Inability to fold good hands
      [x] Tilt

Only do 4 tables for now and reread some articles.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      I moved up a limit to NL50 SSS with a bankroll of $450. Here is some hands I played last night. I stayed on the tables with lots of bad players until I have about 30 bb. Comments welcome about that.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $9.50
      BB:
      $180.95
      BU:
      $31.75

Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:diamond: , A:spade:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO folds, BU calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, BB calls $2.00, 2 folds, BU calls $2.00.

Flop: ($8.50) 7:heart: , 4:club: , 5:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $7.00 (All-In), BB calls $7.00, BU calls $7.00.

Turn: ($29.50) K:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, BU checks.

River: ($29.50) 2:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $7.00, BU folds, BB gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $29.50

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      CO:
      $11.25
      Hero:
      $7.75

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:heart: , Q:spade:
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, 3 folds, CO calls $2.00.

Flop: ($6.25) 5:diamond: , 7:heart: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $5.25 (All-In), CO calls $5.25.

Final Pot: $16.75

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $9.30
      BB:
      $41.80

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: , Q:spade:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.00) A:club: , J:club: , 8:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, BB raises to $5.00, Hero raises to $7.30 (All-In), BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $14.00

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.60
      MP3:
      $57.95
      BU:
      $49.75

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q:diamond: , Q:spade: . CO posts a blind of $0.50.
      Hero raises to $2.00, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2.00, CO folds, BU calls $2.00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($7.25) 8:diamond: , J:diamond: , K:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, 2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $7.25

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $8.30

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:spade: , Q:heart:
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $2.00, CO calls $2.00, Hero raises to $8.30 (All-In), 4 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $6.75

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG+2:
      $64.75
      Hero:
      $15.75

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:diamond: , K:heart:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, 2 folds, SB calls $1.75, BB folds, UTG+2 raises to $15.50, Hero raises to $15.75 (All-In), SB folds, UTG+2 calls $0.25.

Final Pot: $34.00

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $49.50
      MP1:
      $16.30
      Hero:
      $13.15
      MP3:
      $37.60

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q:spade: , Q:diamond:
      2 folds, MP1 raises to $1.00, Hero raises to $3.00, MP3 calls $3.00, 2 folds, SB calls $2.75, BB folds, MP1 calls $2.00.

Flop: ($12.50) 5:heart: , 3:heart: , 9:diamond: (4 players)
      SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $10.15 (All-In), MP3 folds, SB raises to $21.00, MP1 folds, SB gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $32.80

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $11.50
      CO:
      $108.65

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A:club: , K:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, MP3 folds, CO calls $2.00, 3 folds.

Flop: ($4.75) 7:club: , 6:heart: , K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, CO raises to $5.00, Hero raises to $9.50 (All-In), CO calls $4.50.

Final Pot: $23.75

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP1:
      $50.85
      MP2:
      $23.95
      Hero:
      $11.30

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:spade: , J:heart:
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $2.00, MP2 calls $2.00, 2 folds, Hero raises to $11.30 (All-In), 2 folds, MP1 calls $9.30, MP2 raises to $20.60, MP1 calls $9.30.

Flop: ($53.25) 4:heart: , 2:club: , K:heart: (2 players)
      MP1 bets $3.50, MP2 raises to $3.35 (All-In), MP1 gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $59.95

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $6.70
      BB:
      $50.00
      Hero:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with J:diamond: , J:heart:
      6 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, SB calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.00) 9:diamond: , 7:diamond: , 8:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $8.00, Hero raises to $8.00 (All-In), SB folds, BB gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $22.00

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP3:
      $50.00
      Hero:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:diamond: , J:club:
      3 folds, MP3 calls $0.50, CO folds, Hero raises to $2.50, 2 folds, MP3 calls $2.00.

Flop: ($5.75) Q:heart: , 3:spade: , J:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $3.00, MP3 raises to $8.00, Hero raises to $7.50 (All-In), MP3 gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $20.75

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $29.50
      Hero:
      $9.25

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:diamond: , Q:club:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, BU folds, SB raises to $8.00, BB folds, Hero raises to $9.25 (All-In), SB calls $1.25.

Final Pot: $19.00

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $9.25
      MP2:
      $59.30

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:heart: , Q:heart:
      UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 raises to $1.00, 4 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($5.75) 2:spade: , 9:club: , 7:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.75 (All-In), MP2 calls $6.75.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $11.65
      BB:
      $41.05
      Hero:
      $9.00

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:heart: , K:diamond:
      2 folds, MP3 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, BU folds, SB calls $2.25, BB calls $2.00, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($8.00) Q:club: , 9:heart: , 7:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $3.00, Hero raises to $6.50 (All-In), SB folds, BB calls $3.50.

Final Pot: $21.00
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Mostly nice hands.

4th hand - bet more - atleast half the pot (2/3 presumably).
      8th hand - again - bet more 2/3 the pot
      11th hand - would just fold it - Villain looks tightish (might be trapping with monster), first of all I would make the raise to $4 and then go all-in but with your small bet and villains raise it's no point of going all-in.
      13th hand - make it $3 preflop

Yeah, I think you should generaly bet more on flop.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Yeah the AJ hand was dumb and one of the only obvious mistakes I could find. I posted the hands because I ended the session 9 buy-ins down, which is $90! Not having the best of times on NL50. The level of play is not much different to NL25 but I seem to hit a brick wall as soon as I go to NL50. I know that anything can happen over 1500 hands or so.

Coolers and bad beats all the way. I will move down to NL25 again and try and repair the damage. It is really dissapointing when you grind your ass off and then put your money with good in and loose all the hard work. I wish that I could get to the point were it doesn't affect me that much but still have a long way to go.

[x] Variance (?)