FreeZilla

• NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      :spade: A:heart: A :evil:

Hi PStrat,
      I've been playing Zynga poker for about a couple months now and decided maybe I should try to 'learn' wth winning is all about. Needless to say, I have no experience with 'real' poker, but I enjoy trying to move up tables. Accumulating over 1m off 300k I learned that you can make a lot of profit in a small amount of time. Losing it all in a matter of an hour I learned that it's not all about luck, bluffing and guessing. So I find myself here, introducing myself and hopefully moving up once again.
  • 10 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NateMilla
      I've been playing Zynga poker for about a couple months now and decided maybe I should try to 'learn' wth winning is all about. Needless to say, I have no experience with 'real' poker, but I enjoy trying to move up tables.
      be warned that real money games are much much tougher. that said, the games are still very beatable :f_biggrin:
      i'm currently working my way up from $50. i have ~$650 currently :f_love:
      you can follow progress in my blog, link on signature :D

that said, if you want to keep just playing Zynga, you'll definitely massively crush the games with the knowledge here :f_cool:

Losing it all in a matter of an hour I learned that it's not all about luck, bluffing and guessing. So I find myself here, introducing myself and hopefully moving up once again.
      going busto is something that can mostly be avoided by following proper bankroll management.
      you may want to read about that, and a little something about strategy :D link
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      This article is just the kick in the butt i needed to realize where all my money's going and why it's not in my bankroll!

"There is one simple rule in Texas Hold’em: You don‘t want to be the one to just call, i.e. the one who just goes along with the bets, without betting or raising yourself. "

I disagree with this rule in certain situations. A lot of the time checking can be very profitable. Especially if you check after a long pause and give the impression that you're unsure of your hand, in order to draw a higher pot than you could have bet-up. Especially in flush or straight situations.

Cold-calling... needed to read that.

In regards to playing position:
      So if you have a highly profitable hand, but the pot gets raised two seats before you, playing position would be to fold or check instead of re-raise the pot? Say you have Pair K, but that's also the highest card on the table. You assume for the worst, say 2 pair and fold?

I'm not following that part.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator

I disagree with this rule in certain situations. A lot of the time checking can be very profitable. Especially if you check after a long pause and give the impression that you're unsure of your hand, in order to draw a higher pot than you could have bet-up. Especially in flush or straight situations.
      Keep in mind that the article was written as an introduction. There are layers and layers on top of that.

It is dangerous, though to overthink things. I suggest passing the quiz, and get your starting capital on one of our affiliated real money sites, then start building a bankroll.

In regards to playing position:
      So if you have a highly profitable hand, but the pot gets raised two seats before you, playing position would be to fold or check instead of re-raise the pot? Say you have Pair K, but that's also the highest card on the table. You assume for the worst, say 2 pair and fold?

I'm not following that part.
      The essential part is that if you act after your opponent, you have more information when it is your turn to bet than your opponent does when it is his turn to bet.

click on the "beginners course" logo in my sig, and bookmark the page.
      Once you've passed the quiz, get started in on the course, and you will be well on your way.

--VS
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi NateMilla

Welcome to the community!

Good to see a zygna player found PokerStrategy.com!

Like you said checking behind can be profitable in some situations, but usually when you play against fish/calling stations it's better to just bet/bet/bet. They'll often pay you off with a worse hand!

Everything else is said really. Follow the advice that VS gave you! Pass the quiz, start with the No Limit Beginners Course and start crushing the micro's!

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask them!

RasTweet
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      Like you said checking behind can be profitable in some situations, but usually when you play against fish/calling stations it's better to just bet/bet/bet. They'll often pay you off with a worse hand!

Right on! I 100% agree with you. Mainly the situations I use the slight delay call method is when I'm playing someone I know has 3ok or straight and the opponent thinks I'm betting on a high pair or a hand pair lower than the 2ok showing on the river.

I'm going through the reading material right now, and it's all been pretty useful, but there are parts I disagree with just from personal experience. Escpecially with the part I'm reading right now on raise strategy, but I'll work it into my play today. Though I do perfer my betting to appear recklase and untactful "/
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      but there are parts I disagree with just from personal experience. Escpecially with the part I'm reading right now on raise strategy, but I'll work it into my play today. Though I do perfer my betting to appear recklase and untactful "/
      I don't want to be harsh but you don't really have real money experience. I would just follow the strategy's provided on PokerStrategy.com and start gaining some real money experience. After that you can change your strategy a bit.

Like I said before I don't want to be harsh, I just want to help you!

RasTweet
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      Not harsh at all. I didn't even factor that in when I said that. So its good to have you guys keeping my ego in check before I start playing recklase with my bank-roll (assuming I ever pass the quiz).
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Passing the quiz isn't that hard!

You have time enough and you can search for the answers to all the questions when you're doing the quiz.

Just take your time, relax and you'll pass it without any problems.

RasTweet
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      Oh I'm not worried about just passing the test, but having the basic understanding of the workings behind the 'first layer' of the poker strategy.

But I appreciate the vote of confidence :f_biggrin:
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      good old zynga, the king of poker rooms.