FreeZilla's Thread

• NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      This is just my thread to keep my notes, homework, questions, what have you.

I'll consolidate everything into sections for peer review and edit.
  • 4 replies
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I like to analyze things, comming out on top of a flush draw with an ace in my hand is a great feeling when you push someone to go all in. My hobbies have seemingly all revolved around some kind of statistic based games like video games. Poker is fun, it takes off a lot of the boredom that consumes me when I have free time. My 'motivation' is when I know that I have the better of an opponent and I collect the winnings using some-what deceptive playing strategy.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Over confidence, over confidence, and over confidence. Too many times I've bet up a two pair or three of a kind and neglected the straight showing on the board. Luckly I've been reading lots of basic strategy lately which has upped my game significantly.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Haha. Maybe this isn't technically correct, but from what I get its to piss the other person off so bad they start betting bad hands for big pots. Using counter agressive playing will to take out their bank-roll until they drain or quit.

*EDIT*
      First time I posted I read as follows: What does it mean to play [I]tilt[/t] agressive?

Tight agressive means to play only high profile hands and to raise the other person to make tough decisions when your in the propper position to put the opponents in defensive mode.
    • NateMilla
      NateMilla
      Basic
      Day One Starting Plan

Theory
      >Re-Review Basic Strategy Sheet
      >Basic Lesson Two

Zynga Poker
      >Play an Hour
      >Take notes on behavior

Theory
      >TBA

Thoery Section
      L2 Notes
      12% chance of landing on a pocket pair.
      Call only if you and the opponent have 20x the raise
      Strategic Raising
      -Raise 3x last raise
      +1x the raise for each player that played the raise
      Pre-Flop AA and KK beat other pairs by 80%
      Call 20 rule. ?
      Always call a min raise after you raise from a backward position. Your odds are better than fighting against a pocket pair, but dont fight for a low pair.

Video 2 notes
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/20368/ timemarker at 13:16

Math
      -Does this have a positve expected value?????
      -It's about making the right play and knowing the fold.

Odds and outs
      -Outs improve your hand
      --AK
      -Outs when you're behind and want to risk for pot
      -Outs make you the nuts.
      -9 usual flush outs

ODDS:
      -Probability of obtaining the desirable situation
      POT ODDS
      -Risk-Reward ration

:spade: Table Notes 6/11: :spade:
      Starting Bankroll - 7.7k
      Table 2/4 (Hi-risk)
      Max Buyins (9.625)
      Cap Limit (6.0/4.8k)

-I find my self calling or checking with junk hands when I'm BB or on Button
      -Spot a tilt aggressive oppertunity at the table
      -Playing more hands than I should still on big blind
      Raise Bankroll to (12.78 Max on 2/4)

Lesson 2 Homework

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Uhm. Calling suited J9/J8/QT on button or late buyin. Raising high pair (AA KK) to big blind x 10-15 in position. Calling up to big blind x 4 on AKo or raise x 3. Really its too early for me to make those kinds of decisions

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

YES! Is recklase (looking) betting good for a purely strategic player (analytical play) or is it better to play 'by the books'? Because I like to give the appearence, especially during tournament play, that I'll give away a small to large bluff in order to win a larger pot with a high equity hand later on in the match. Is this a good strategy or not?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Pre-Calculation Speculation:
      Well from the notes I've made, there's a 12% chance of connecting on a flop. Outs being A/K. So 6 outs. Not including a lucky straight. But still having advantage over a K-low hand and an A-low hand. Decent, I guess.

AKo Hand used: A:spade: K:heart:
      Odds for 88: 54.97%
      Odds for 99: 55.08%
      Odds for TT: 56.68%
      Odds for JJ: 56.65%
      Odds for QQ: 56.55%
      Odds for KK: 69.61%
      Odds for AA: 92.80%

Odds for JQ: 39.40%
      Odds for QK: 29.55%
      Odds for AJ: 28.36%
      Odds for AQ: 28.06%
      Odds for AK: 7.16% against 2.17% for AKo (90.67% chance of tie)

So I guess overall the fold equity is pretty high against the blind hand because this is just the top 5% of hands. So betting against a hand other than shown would be profitable in most situations. Thus raising a AKo would be a wise choice if you were to ask yourself the basic fundemental question of gaining money by playing poker.

Does this have a positve expected value?

My answer will be yes.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Do you plan to take the starting capital cause it seems that you are still Basic rank. :) Would get a lot more strategy content open.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Confidence is a question of experience. The more hands you have analyzed the more hands you have played the more confident you will get in your play. So don't worry about that so much but rather concentrate on your learning part and don't forget analyzing your game which is the most important aspect for beginners. Obviously not only for beginners but for high level players as well, you will never stop learning in poker.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

[QUOTE]First time I posted I read as follows: What does it mean to play [I]tilt[/t] agressive?[/QUOTE]
      It means that you are not playing your A-game and most likely spewing a lot money away. Playing during tilt isn't always the best solution cause you are more likely to lose money and pick up too fancy moves.

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Uhm. Calling suited J9/J8/QT on button or late buyin. Raising high pair (AA KK) to big blind x 10-15 in position. Calling up to big blind x 4 on AKo or raise x 3. Really its too early for me to make those kinds of decisions

Would strongly advice you to take a look at those hands, raising way too big at some point is the case that you are exactly representing a hand which you holding. People will realize that and adjust to and and maybe even fold a lot weaker hands.

YES! Is recklase (looking) betting good for a purely strategic player (analytical play) or is it better to play 'by the books'? Because I like to give the appearence, especially during tournament play, that I'll give away a small to large bluff in order to win a larger pot with a high equity hand later on in the match. Is this a good strategy or not?

Try to use the strategy articles, they have covered most of the books and even more content available. Not only for cash games but also tournaments. But for that you would also need higher rank.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

As you may see here that our equity isn't very good and we are even behind. Therefore in long run you ain't going to earn much profit if you going broke with AK. I'd strongly advice as well to post some of the hands you played and we can try to take a look where you overplaying them and where not. In the beginning a lot of players tend to overplay those type of hands.

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.