Table Position and software questions

• jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Hi all,

Looking at a table and instantly working out what table position I am is not easy. Is this something that comes with practice or do people use some software or setting to let them know instantly?

With constantly changing numbers of players on a table it seems a waste of energy to think too much about this pre flop. Is there some trick I'm missing?

With the HUD that runs with pokertracker (and I assume other software) do people run those concurrently next to their playing tables?

Cheers
      Jules
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by jules97
      Looking at a table and instantly working out what table position I am is not easy. Is this something that comes with practice or do people use some software or setting to let them know instantly?
      Hi, and welcome to PokerStrategy.com!
      Just practice. Some count forward from the BB, I count backward from the BTN.
      Forward hurts my head. When I play, I don't specifically name my position each hand, but I'm ALWAYS aware of where the button is in relation to me.

With constantly changing numbers of players on a table it seems a waste of energy to think too much about this pre flop. Is there some trick I'm missing?
      Nope, just practice -- or at least if the IS a trick, I want to hear about it too.

With the HUD that runs with pokertracker (and I assume other software) do people run those concurrently next to their playing tables?
      When you are running HUD software, each table position has a small window hovering over it that contains the stats.

Cheers,
      --BM
    • SokAr85
      SokAr85
      Bronze
      not sure i entirely understand what your asking, but its fairly easy to work out your position on a table. Every site will have a small button in front of the player who is the button (acts last after the flop). The blinds will always be the first two players to the left of the player with the button.

As for your hud, see image below, you can also see the dealer button

• jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Thanks both for your replies!

Hmm, ok I think i get it. The HUD is something that runs over the top of your normal playing table? I previously thought it was another table that you place next to your playing table where you make bets.

If that is the case, I assume it would be easy enough to get the HUD to tell me what what each players position is instantly in text format.

Counting back from the button seems like the best mental way to do it. But if I could get my HUD to do it with some text this would take the effort out of it and allow me to concentrate on other things.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Jules

I don't really think in which position I'm on on the tables, I'm just aware how many players there are behind me to act and who those players are.

It's the same principle but a slightly different way of thinking I guess.

RasTweet
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Jules, you having a good Tuesday so far?

Table position won't take you long at all to get the hang of you don't need to know exactly, for instance, all you need to know is I'm in early position (EP) you don't need to know that you're in EP1 or EP2 just a general idea of where you are in relation to the button.

As for the HUD, yes it runs over the top of your normal tables and gives you real time stats on players at your table such as; how often they enter a pot how often they make a continuation bet and how often they fold to one.

Have you tried any poker software yet? If not you should try Holdem Manager. You can get a 30 day trial to see how things work and if you want to commit to paying for it but it's definitely worth it, here check this link out:

Holdem Manager

Hope this helps you out, if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask them

Have a good evening
      Carl