This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] 50NL overpair against shove

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

CO ($57.45)
      Button ($10.10)
      SB ($12)
      BB ($19.50)
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($51.15)
      Hero ($54.90)
      MP2 ($50)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Jh, Jd.
      UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 raises to $1, Hero raises to $3.5, 5 folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($8.25) 2h, 7c, 2s (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $47.65 (All-In), Hero folds.

Villain is unknown that hand discussed in hand evaluation coaching.
      To me it is easy call, because:
      No overshove is reasonable- player either wants to protect his hand or want to bluff us out.
      Since he limp/called UTG he can only represent 77 or 2x that beat us hand. He would limp/raised with AA, KK, maybe QQ (I think he would probably open raised or chose again limp/raise method)
      I think we´re here against mostly pure bluff, smt like A3, 56, or pair 78, 33-66, 88,99.
      Since I´m not convinced that player is ahead here 50% of the time I´m happy to call overshove.

Thorsten please evaluate that hand:)
  • 5 replies
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

CO ($57.45)
      Button ($10.10)
      SB ($12)
      BB ($19.50)
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($51.15)
      Hero ($54.90)
      MP2 ($50)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Jh, Jd.
      UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 raises to $1, Hero raises to $3.5, 5 folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($8.25) 2h, 7c, 2s (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $47.65 (All-In), Hero folds.

Villain is unknown that hand discussed in hand evaluation coaching.
      To me it is easy call, because:
      No overshove is reasonable- player either wants to protect his hand or want to bluff us out.
      Since he limp/called UTG he can only represent 77 or 2x that beat us hand. He would limp/raised with AA, KK, maybe QQ (I think he would probably open raised or chose again limp/raise method)
      I think we´re here against mostly pure bluff, smt like A3, 56, or pair 78, 33-66, 88,99.
      Since I´m not convinced that player is ahead here 50% of the time I´m happy to call overshove.

Thorsten please evaluate that hand:)
      He didn't limp preflop. Or do you count a minraise as a limp?
      I think he is often holding pocket pairs or just pure air :P
      I think I would also go broke
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      True, didn´t see that min-raise. :)
      That makes it 3-bet pot, which is perfectly fine getting stacked with overpair :D
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      This is an easy fold! You have not invested a lot money.
      Let's see, what Thorsten says.
    • lilprincess
      lilprincess
      Bronze
      I would call, his line looks so bs, but this could also easily be an AI for value :P
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      If you fold, you sometimes fold the best hand vs. a worse overpair. However, I like the fold. The pot is tiny and he pushes all-in. Given his line preflop, this really looks like a big pocket pair. Many players make a tiny raise preflop to let people stay in the pot (they want money), but then overbet postflop to get it in as fast as possible. I agree with Kaitz that this line doesnt make sense, but I saw it so often at these stakes and most of the time it was a monster (that basically hopes to get a call from a hand like the one hero has).
      My thinking is: the line villain takes is a huge leak. I try to see a showdown and make a note. If he shoves with crap, I have an easy call next time, if its the monster line, I'll call him very often with small pockets, SCs to crack his aces.