Hi, I'm Jules

• jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Hey all,

My name is Julian, I'm from Australia.

I studied economics and computer science when I was younger and have been trading financial products since I was 18. For banks, funds and myself. I have done marketmaking, discretionary trading through to HFT. I'm currently doing some longer term macro stuff (dont get me started on the euro and EU :P ) which has given me some time to learn poker.

I have mainly traded index futures, but have traded almost every product out there from currencies,swaps & options to live hogs & wool!

I hurt my leg a few months ago, but before that I liked to keep active by running 4 times a week and doing some kind of exercise the days I'm not running. I think it's important mentally and physically to keep active and healthy. My leg is just about healed and I'm a little scared how low my fitness level has become and the pain I will have to endure when I start up again soon. haaha :D

My poker ability and knowledge is solidly in the beginner category, but I'm working through the resource you have here. Which I'm really happy I found. I recently decided I wanted to learn to get better at poker and I was worried about where to start to learn efficiently, but this sight looks very impressive and very useful for someone like me.

I think that I can transfer a lot of the skills (and painful and expensive lessons!) I've learnt from trading to poker and I hope they can speed up my learning. I plan to take learning to play poker profitably seriously and am writing up my plan and goals here. I'll continue to update them as I go. I really have no idea as far as some basic poker decisions go at the moment. But I'll trudge along and get there.

Nice to be here :)
  • 15 replies
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      I am currently studying international relations at the University of Sydney. It includes a bit on financial history and the influence of economic relations on foreign policy so is slightly related to your field of work. :)

Where did you study and what game/limits are you looking to start with?
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi jules and welcome to our poker community!

It sounds like you have plenty of experience of sheep then!? :)

Anyway, I would like to hear what game type and limits you are going to start from.
      I see you've already made a great decision and joined the NL Beginners course, you will not regret that one. :)

I would also highly recommend starting a blog. It's a great way to get to meet like-minded people and you can post hands for discussion and join sweat sessions - these are sessions where someone watches you play [or vice versa] and you can learn from each others play and discuss strategy -
      The link to our blogs forum is:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1435
      Think of a funky title and off you go!

There are also our hand evaluation forums where experts will analyze any tricky hands you post for them to look at and give you the best play in that situation. They are an invaluable source of knowledge.

That's quite a lot from me, so if you need anything else just ask away ok?

Very best regards and have fun!

Mal.
    • pswyatt
      pswyatt
      Bronze
      Hey jules97,

Welcome to our community! :)

I'm sure that you'll find all the information and guidance to help with your poker career here. I'm also pleased to hear that your leg is healing up as I hurt my ankle a few months ago playing football and it's really frustrating when you're restricted!

If you have any questions then just give us a shout!

Best of luck,
      Darren
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Hey guys thanks for the reply,

BobamaJr, I went to Adelaide Uni. I know a guy who did international relations and he was a commodities trader for a while. He's just finished his MBA and has more lofty ambitions then trading I think lol. Plenty of different paths you can go with your course.

I'm going to learn NL first.
      I'll be playing smallest of the micro stakes and freerolls until I'm decent and have played a lot (100,000+) of hands. If I manage to run up a small stake a little I'll just follow standard BRM stuff that is being taught here.

I have a lot to learn and and practice. No point giving money away while doing that. The rake is more than enough for me to pay!

Thanks for the tip about starting a blog. I was going to keep diary. But a blog where I can participate in some discussion and do things like sweat sessions sounds great.

I have a hand evaluation for later on when I just work out how to get pokertracker to cooperate lol.

Dinnertime now!
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Hi jules97,

Welcome aboard!

I've sent you a new Customer Service ticket with regards to your account, simply click here to access your ticket.

If you require assistance, please reply to your ticket and I'll be happy to help.

Take it easy,

Mark
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey jules,

Welcome to the forum.. You sound fascinating and would love to hear more takes and your conquest on poker. From sonebody who is looking to get into trading and investments it would be great to hear how your experience is going the "other" way.

I swap you poker for investment coaching? :D

Why don't you start a blog?
    • trgovcic
      trgovcic
      Bronze
      you ll be disapointed with poker resources on this site, try to use forums maybe some will write something good
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by trgovcic
      you ll be disapointed with poker resources on this site, try to use forums maybe some will write something good
      You are always welcome to pop into our feedback and suggestions board and tell us how to improve :)

Regards,
      Gary
    • sridneel
      sridneel
      Bronze
      you ll be disapointed with poker resources on this site
      ??? :facepalm:
    • magicadil
      magicadil
      Bronze
      Why so negative? This site has the best resources I have seen on the web and I have been a part of many of their competitve sites as well.
    • sridneel
      sridneel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by magicadil
      Why so negative? This site has the best resources I have seen on the web and I have been a part of many of their competitve sites as well.
      +1
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      gooduck jules, don't break too many mouses playing poker
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Hi, good luck! I think a trader's mentality will help you a lot in playing poker, all you need is time to invest in it.

I'm also into trading, started a few months ago into a prop-trading company (scalping). Any advice would be greatly apreciated. :D
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      My three tips :)

1. Be super anal about risk management. And then when you think you are there, double it.

2. Keep your costs down as much as possible, be very aware of and track your profit/commissions. Try to make some money for yourself and not just your clearing firm.

3. Pester, flatter or whatever the better traders into helping you.

Good luck. Like anything, you get what you put in. Mixed with a healthy dose of luck.
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Well done of gold. Always a good milestone for us low level ballers :D