opinions about zoom

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      i want to hear people's opinions about zoom poker.

i played a little nl2/nl5 FR zoom and it seemed harder than standard tables. coolers and crazy people shoving over my cbets with TPTK type hands. i would love to get more volume in and zoom would be cool but i don't know whether it's worth it.
  • 60 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      zoom = lower edge = higher variance

Lower edge because fish can easily fold hands like T8 (due fast fold) which they usually play them on normal tables.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      I play exclusively zoom ever since pokerstars put it online and I love it. I do not agree with the lower edge in zoom, it is just different. Many people will fall in love with their big pairs and AK, many people will play too tight, many people will play too loose, these are a lot of things to exploit.
      At lower levels I think TAG ABC poker is a good approach. Do not try to bluff too much especially under nl25. Play many hands to spot the regs and be carefull when you encounter resistance.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Silver
      i mean does it really vary so much from standard games? do you get people bluffing more there? more regs? im just trying to figure out whether it would be a good idea for me to start playing zoom.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      It is definitely different. You have to be more adaptable since you move from table to table every hand. There are less regs or, at least, you play less time against them because there are a lot of players who visit the zoom "pits". I played 62k at nl10 and have gathered data on 34k players.
      I think it is very important to have a good understanding of CG and some experience in this game before playing zoom, but it is, imho, very hard to go back to CG from zoom after several K hands because of the rhythm of the game.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrkhaan
      I play exclusively zoom ever since pokerstars put it online and I love it. I do not agree with the lower edge in zoom, it is just different. Many people will fall in love with their big pairs and AK, many people will play too tight, many people will play too loose, these are a lot of things to exploit.
      At lower levels I think TAG ABC poker is a good approach. Do not try to bluff too much especially under nl25. Play many hands to spot the regs and be carefull when you encounter resistance.
      The games are much different once you hit nl50. Maybe even nl25. Your edge will be really really low. Below that I guess a good winrate is doable but nothing beats the winrate of table selection on regular games. The problem is the volume aka hourly between zoom (lower winrate) and regular games (higher winrate).
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      at nl25 people already play back reasonably if you open 100% buttons. :f_biggrin:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      fr zoom - boring nit fest, sh zoom - 3bet/4bet fest.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney

The games are much different once you hit nl50. Maybe even nl25. Your edge will be really really low. Below that I guess a good winrate is doable but nothing beats the winrate of table selection on regular games. The problem is the volume aka hourly between zoom (lower winrate) and regular games (higher winrate).
      My bad, I should have said that I play micros (nl25). I can imagine that it gets tougher at nl50, but I think that everything gets more complex at nl50, whether it's zoom or regular CG.
      At nl25 bluffs finally start to pay, the tough part being to recognize total fishes (still plenty at nl25) from good regs (some of them are very good).

I'm not sure yet that I will continue zoom at nl50 once I have the proper BR because of the number of players that enter the pit. The more players, the more potentially profitable zoom is in my opinion.
    • janalissako
      janalissako
      Bronze
      the interesting thing about zoom poker i think is that u dont need to create an image to get an advantages. u can play very very tight and get paid off cause ur opponents doesnt notice it or u can play very very loose agressive and u will get a lot of pots uncontestet,cause they do not notice that u always bluff/bet. i think it maybe is even a disadvantage to play a normal middle tight agressive game cause u dont need to play loose to get action with ur strong hands and u dont need to play tight because u dont wanna get caught bluffing to much. i have to admitt that i only tryed it short.
      But maybe some reguar winningplayer can tell us if my suggestion is right.
      if 9 handed games are very nitty u should maybe raises 100% of ur hands and if the 6 max games are so gressive why u doesnt only play ajs+,88+,aq+ ( of course more in good position etc.)
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      well, there are huds for zoom so people sometime may catch on. some 5/4/60h guy is sad obvious :f_biggrin:

my approach for FR vs unknowns preflop (not very sure how good it is) is to open 100% btn, sb and nit up with the 3betting. that also has the benefit of increasing my overall vpip :D
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      I play NL10, I've play ONLY normal tables, after todays session i lost a two buyins from AA Vs KK ( One with KK and the other with AA) . After this major tilt spot I hit the NL25 Tables Zoom, I played for 10-25 Minuites played 47 hands and was up 44 Dollars . Tilt Over :f_biggrin:
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      It is definitely different. You have to be more adaptable since you move from table to table every hand. There are less regs or, at least, you play less time against them because there are a lot of players who visit the zoom "pits". I played 62k at nl10 and have gathered data on 34k players.
      I think it is very important to have a good understanding of CG and some experience in this game before playing zoom, but it is, imho, very hard to go back to CG from zoom after several K hands because of the rhythm of the game.
      i found it quite nice to go back to the reg tables and can even play 8 now whereas before i could only play 6.

the strategy for zoom i use is trying to find premium spots rather then premium starting hands. i open up my 3 betting range in the BU and SB and BB positions. I open my opening range to 30% utg, carrying over to even 50% around the CO, BU and SB.

The trick is to take advantage of peoples weak stats if you have history, and to play against unknowns tight pre and postflop, tight meaning lots of bet/fold and raise/fold. play a solid overall game and dont try to go out of your range just to 3bet with 56o because your on the button and the cutoff opened. put lots of logic and thinking behind your action rather then just playing with emotion.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney

My bad, I should have said that I play micros (nl25). I can imagine that it gets tougher at nl50, but I think that everything gets more complex at nl50, whether it's zoom or regular CG.
      At nl25 bluffs finally start to pay, the tough part being to recognize total fishes (still plenty at nl25) from good regs (some of them are very good).

I'm not sure yet that I will continue zoom at nl50 once I have the proper BR because of the number of players that enter the pit. The more players, the more potentially profitable zoom is in my opinion.
      I still prefer having 6-8 tables with a proper fish to my right. :D

Table selection is soooooooooooo underrated. But oh well, less people fighting for fishes :f_biggrin:
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      So ZOOM has now been around for quite a while, so what's everyone's opinions of the level of play and stuff? Heard many mixed opinions about how nitty it is or how much people love it!
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi Quadzzzzzzz,

I've merged your thread into a similar topic thread, hope you guys continue to discuss and give feedback!

Ingrid
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      Sorry, didn't even notice it and I had a little look, Thanks Ingrid!
    • Solidius
      Solidius
      Bronze
      Fish are not tight on zoom. I've seen people defend their blinds with hands like J2o,T6s even 72s. If it's suited, it's good. :D

Fish are loose and sometimes looser than regular tables. If you play with a hud you can spot them and take their stacks. From my experience if you keep notes, you can beat NL10 zoom or lower with a decent winrate.
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      Yeah i've heard that reviewing sessions and keeping notes give you a real edge as not many will keep the notes!
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Zoom is the nutz! haha I just love it