What's a normal FL FR downswing?

• Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      What's a normal FL FR downswing?

I was grinding for a couple of hours and I grinded away 72BB :(
      I wanted to move to SH today or tommorow, but it's not likely now...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(

Somebody comfort me ;(
  • 21 replies
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      BB as big bets, right?

I think less than 100BB isn't problematical, 78BB is a lot too and I know, it's frustrating, but it could be even worse :)

For example, on 21st of May I lost more then 50BB, but I didn't worry, because I knew I played good. And you shouldn't worry either.
      But as I can see you do, that's why if I were you, I wouldn't play for a day or two. I even wouldn't read any articles or any other poker related stuff.

Just stop thinking for some time about poker. Then come back, play as you know best (I'm sure you play well) and you'll be up again.

(btw, from 22 till today I made 120BB :) ) Variance...
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      300BB is easily possible (not on one day).

Maybe you should stop when losing more than 50BB in a session because you might start playing worse without noticing it.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      for CoreySteel: Don't worry I'm not worried, I'm just sad :( Really wanted to move to SH, I was almost there, damn :P

for ciRith: You already gave me that stop when down 50BB advise :D 300BB!!!!!! Are you sure? Seems a lot. At higher limits playing SH I would take that as a normality, but at FR low limits it's a bit much if you ask me, well depends on how well you play too. My worst one was 150BB :D .

PS: I wanted something like:
      -there there it will get better
      -it's not that horrible you'll get back up
      etc.
      from this thread, oh, and the answer for my question, which I got, thanks.

Now comfort me :D
      (never mind I'm loosing it :P )

Good night!
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Well just because there are 300BB downswing doesn't mean that everyone gets one. :D

Well for SH you can go with a 500BB downswing. Have fun. ;)

And ok: Yeah keep on playing. 72BB hurts but is just normal. You better orientate yourself at the mistakes your opponent did when you lost a pot. This prevents you from tilting (hopefully). :)
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      Well just because there are 300BB downswing doesn't mean that everyone gets one. :D
      LOL :D

Well for SH you can go with a 500BB downswing. Have fun. ;)
      Gee, thanks a lot :P , I don't think so! I'm gonna dominate it and be at the 5$/10$ limits by the end of the summer :D (my plan)

And ok: Yeah keep on playing. 72BB hurts but is just normal. You better orientate yourself at the mistakes your opponent did when you lost a pot. This prevents you from tilting (hopefully). :)
      Thank you :D :D :D
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Hm i cant really member how much BB's my downswings were at fullring but i remember playing at the pokerstars .25/.50 tables like 5 months ago with $50. Ended up with $120 within a few weeks and dropped back to $35 within a week. And i still consider myself a "winning" player (thats 170BB's btw).

All in all...my whole poker career seems to be a big downswing seeing all my pokertracker stats are colored in red :D but i managed to grind myself up to the level i am today just by making good money with the bonusses and rakeback (and a little bit SSS:P ),

But tbh just keep your head clean and play your game. Its the only way to get there(5/10$ right?:P ) i wonder if im ever gonna make it =) but hell u gotta have goals in live right? Good luck!
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Go for a video @wilm and Dippy19!
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Hm thats actually a pretty good idea ciRith =) to be continued!
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      He he :D :D :D , the last time I tried to make a video... in the first try I forgot to put on the voice, so I kept babeling to my self for an hour, in the second try I made it and it took me a whole day to upload it and the you said that you can't download it, becouse it's too large and you would have to be a premium member at megaclick :D Remember?

Maybe I'll make a SH video when I get there(hopefully in less than a week)

@wilm: One big downswing you say :D , red numbers :D . Well mine are all green for a couple of days at a time and I move up slowly most of the time and then I get a hit :D , I make like a 100BB in a couple of days(lets say 4 days) and then I lose 70BB in one day :D I move up overall, but I have one sick pattern if you ask me, and I almost never get an upswing.

EDIT: I think I played a nearly perfect game today, and my downswing extended to a 100BB :P This has got to end soon...
    • hova
      hova
      Bronze
      The height of "normal" downswing amplitude results solely from your (true) winrate/standarddeviation. A friend of mine, who plays 30/60 with 2BB/100 and 100/200+ (good lineups) with 1-1,5BB/100 will usually swing 40-50BB each session in both directions, but he still has a clear edge with 2BB at the end of the month. I think he's never had worse than 400BB downswings and plays only 2-4 tables targeting fish on different sites.
      Let's assume you play 1/2 where the rake has a much bigger impact than 30/60+ and you are 1BB/100 winning player mostly winning hands by showing down (that's what you usually do on lowstakes). You would be up against worse swings and a peak swing of 500-600BB might be reasonable. Since you don't win enough without showdown you will be getting sucked out on more, you won't be able to bluff people out of pots in spots where you have near 0% equity etc.
      I'd recommend you take some shots at a lower SH limit if you want to switch. SH will be alot more fun, more thin valuebetting and you can practice good hand reading abilities.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Nice post hova. :) Is your fried from PS.com?

@Dippy19: Yes I remember that. ;) Maybe you compress the video next time to speed up the downloading? (With a movie make or so like VirtualDub.)
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      @Dippy19: Yes I remember that. ;) Maybe you compress the video next time to speed up the downloading? (With a movie make or so like VirtualDub.)
      The next one will work, don't worry :D

@hova: Really great answer, but I hope that that 500BB DS won't hit me :tongue: . Which limits do you play? I think that at 0.5/1 SH you have some fold equity, but not much, aldough I played it only for a short time, that was my impression. At 0.5/1 FR you have a lot of fold equity, imo players get really tight, except later in the evening and at night.
      I am playing 0.25/0.5 SH during the day when 0.5/1 FR tables are too tight and I'm running quite good, but at 0,25/0,50 SH you have absolutely 0% fold equity at all time :P
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Don't worry Dippy, I'm right there with you.

I'm currently on a 70BB downswing.

Every draw my opponents have is coming in, every draw I have is missing.
      I've lost with AA the last four times, and I've lost with KK four out of the last six.

I'm winning the odd small pot and losing lots of big ones.

What fun.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokerHammer
      Don't worry Dippy, I'm right there with you.

I'm currently on a 70BB downswing.

Every draw my opponents have is coming in, every draw I have is missing.
      I've lost with AA the last four times, and I've lost with KK four out of the last six.

I'm winning the odd small pot and losing lots of big ones.

What fun.
      Keep fighting :baby: , you know what you get after every downswing? AN UPSWING :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm back, wuhu!!!!!! Maybe I'll even reach those SH tables till the end of the month, like I planed :)

Keep playing your best PokerHammer, no downswing lasts for ever and it makes the upswing all the sweeter :)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      But what if the upswing never comes?
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Glad to see things are looking up again Dippy. :)

I'm not bothered about a small downswing, I've played long enough to get used to it, so I'll just keep putting in more hands.

Yoghi, if the upswing doesn't come then I'll start playing an easy game, like no limit, just to get moving again. :D
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Just thought I'd give an update on my downswing.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been beaten by 3 and 4 outers on the river!

Downswing currently stands at 143BB!!
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      That really sucks PokerHammer. Just keep ur head clean and grind out that downswing!
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wilm
      That really sucks PokerHammer. Just keep ur head clean and grind out that downswing!
      I had a break even day yesterday! I'm nearly a winning player again!!