[NL2-NL10] NL6 888 JJ - raise sizing

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Given my hand I can only put villain on AX, something like A7+ here. I figured that a 3x raise didn't leave villain with a lot behind and looks just as strong as putting him all-in anyway.

888 Poker - $0.06 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $6.45
      SB: $4.02 UNKNOWN
      BB: $5.99
      Hero (UTG): $7.25
      MP: $11.69
      CO: $11.81

SB posts SB $0.03, BB posts BB $0.06

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.09) Hero has J:diamond: J:club:

Hero raises to $0.18, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.15, fold

Flop: ($0.42, 2 players) A:club: J:heart: 8:diamond:
      SB bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.78, 2 players) 5:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.45, SB calls $0.45

River: ($1.68, 2 players) J:spade:
      SB bets $0.72, Hero raises to $3.50, fold

Hero wins $2.94
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello muel294,

I'd raise the flop right away and protect my hand, if he has anyk ind of hand then he is willing to pay and we want to play for the stacks. :)

Best Regards.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      thanks veriz

I wasn't sure he would be strong enough to call a raise here since players usually DB/fold, but I guess those hands would rarely call the turn anyway and are mostly playing c/f.

At the time I thought: "oh I would play AX and floats this way as well", but then I realised that I would / should raise all my strong hands here and some bluffs as well, especially if I expect him to DB/fold a lot. Is it advisable to polarize in this way long run. I know its not essential at micros but I think it's good practice to think about it.

what would you do with AK and AQ here? I would feel compelled to just call and play way ahead way behind on AJ8r and more compelled to raise for value on A82r.

What do you think?

cheers
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by muel294
      thanks veriz

I wasn't sure he would be strong enough to call a raise here since players usually DB/fold, but I guess those hands would rarely call the turn anyway and are mostly playing c/f.

At the time I thought: "oh I would play AX and floats this way as well", but then I realised that I would / should raise all my strong hands here and some bluffs as well, especially if I expect him to DB/fold a lot. Is it advisable to polarize in this way long run. I know its not essential at micros but I think it's good practice to think about it.

what would you do with AK and AQ here? I would feel compelled to just call and play way ahead way behind on AJ8r and more compelled to raise for value on A82r.

What do you think?

cheers
      Can't really raise for value there -> WA/WB.