Pot investment vs fold

• Gnillperker
      Gnillperker
      Bronze
      I just need one thing sorted out, however I'm sure it won't have an easy answer:

Here at PS I've learned that I must be willing to give up any hand if the situation is unfavorable and it will cause me to lose money in the long run, but, when is my investment in the pot big enough to continue playing?

Thanks

- Gnill
  • 9 replies
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      are you basically asking at what point you're pot comitted?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hi gnillperker

i guess it depends on your hand strength and your opponent's range. see when i was playing MSS, i was committed if i was going to bet and it would mean i had invested more than 20bb - in that case you shove. BSS is different obviously and i think it depends on your equity and if you are being given the correct odds to call. i tend to 'feel' committed if i have invested around 60bb. i don't actually know if there is a general cut-off amount, but im sure a more experienced player will be around soon with a better answer. but for me it is ~60bb AND if i still feel i have a chance of winning the pot.
    • Gnillperker
      Gnillperker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Slurpee
      are you basically asking at what point you're pot comitted?
      Exactly
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Generally a pleyer is considered pot comitted when his stack is below half the pot.
      In practice, let's say you and your opponent have 10$, the pot is 6$.
      If I bet 7$ and my opponent calls, i will have 3$ left on the river in a 20$ pot, I obviously commit myself to the pot by betting that big (one way to see it is that if I'm pushed allin by my opponent, I will have 3$ to pay to win a pot of 23$, 23:3 = 7.5:1 odds, you can't fold anything but a pure bluff here.

If I bet 3$ in it, I'll have 7$ left in a 12$ pot. My odds by getting pushed allin would be 12+7:7 = 2.3:1, which are much worse odds, there are still a lot of hands that I can fold if my opponent represents force.

But it of course depends on your hand's equity. If you have a 40% equity holding, you will be comitted to the pot way more easily than with a 5% equity hand.

As usual, the answer is: it depends :)
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      pot commited is just laymans terms for having invested soo much of your effective stack that you must call off the rest of your stack because of pot odds. Technically you could fold after investing 99% of stack OTR if you have a pure airball (23 on AKQ76 for example).
    • activee
      activee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by i5bet72o
      pot commited is just laymans terms for having invested soo much of your effective stack that you must call off the rest of your stack because of pot odds. Technically you could fold after investing 99% of stack OTR if you have a pure airball (23 on AKQ76 for example).
      Then you could miss the splitpot :D
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      AKQJ4 then?
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DoigteurFou
      AKQJ4 then?
      still split vs 23
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      Maybe but the split pot is even more rare that you will almost never get the odds to go and find it.
      But anyway, that's not the question :D