Rake?

• Gnillperker
      Gnillperker
      Bronze
      Hey!

I can't find any good information on this site explaining the concept of rake and how it works.

Can anyone explain this to me or direct me to a place where I can find this information?

I'm playing at PP.

Thanks,
  • 17 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Gnillperker!

The best explantation about rake you'll find in our glossary. I searched rake for you now. Click the link below.

Rake

The exact rake on PartyPoker I don't know by heart. I'll try to find it or to find someone that knows.

Regards

RasTweet
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I'm back!

How much rake PP takes out of every pot depends on the limits that you play.

Click on the link below to find out more.
      Rake PartyPoker

Hope this helped? If you have more questions don't be afraid to ask!

RasTweet
    • Gnillperker
      Gnillperker
      Bronze
      Thanks for helping me out, i found it now.

A hand that a) a player participates in (dealt cards) and b) has generated at least $0.01 in rake for that player. Generated rake is calculated as; total pot, divided by the number of players who contributed to the pot and then allocated as a proportion of the actual money each player contributed to the pot.

That's what they say at their site. I'm afraid my english isn't good enough to grasp this slightly confusing explanation . Does this mean that the each rake is equal to the amount of each pot divided by the number of people vpip as long this new amount is at least 0.2 dollars?

Let's make things as difficult as possible:

Say I play in a multiway pot with 4 other players vpip and the flop comes. Turn 2 of those players call my bet, and I go to showdown with 1 player and win. How is the rake calculated in this example?

I play at nl2 where rake is defined as 0.01 per 0.2

And, when do they claim the rake? I never visually register that money is being deducted from the pot/ my account.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Gnillperker,

Wow im lost in this thread now:D here is how rake works,

Everytime a hand is played a small amount of the pot is taken by the room, this is how they make their money and this is what is referred to as the rake. Each room takes different amounts of rake at each different limit. We have a detailed breakdown of the rake on different rooms that i can find for you if you like?

It's probably designed to be taken at times when you don't notice so that recreational players who have no clue about rake don't feel like they are getting ripped off when all of a sudden some of their stack goes missing when they leave a table. What happens is say you raise to 0.10c and somebody calls so the pot is 0.2 as the chips go into the middle and the flop is dealt the pot size will change to 0.19.

Does this answer all your questions?

Let me know if you have anymore :)

Have a nice evening
      Carl
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      It's probably designed to be taken at times when you don't notice so that recreational players who have no clue about rake don't feel like they are getting ripped off when all of a sudden some of their stack goes missing when they leave a table.
      About the only time I REALLY notice it is when you I split a huge pot and both myself and villain end up with smaller stacks.

--VS
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Gnillperker

I think on 888 they take rake on every street, but I'm not sure though. Just keep an eye on the pot, do the maths yourself and you'll know when they take the rake. Just count I bet.... + he calls.....+blinds = ........ And thats probably 1 cent more then there will be in the actual pot.

And it doesn't matter how many ppl there are in the pot. The rake is just a percentage of the pot.

Regards

RasTweet
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi,

RasTweet is partially correct regarding 888. While they deduct the rake from the total pot at the conclusion of each betting round (street), that money is still in the pot, (although it does not show up when you see the "Pot total" on the table. This is shown best when you are first to bet into a pot and you chose to "bet pot". The size of your bet is then slightly larger than the total shown for the pot. The difference is the rake that has already been calculated and "virtually deducted" from the pot.

Hope this helps.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      This might help:
      http://888poker.bz/limits&rake.htm
      It does not mention that rake is collected on each street, however.

I can't be certain, but it seems to me that the rake on each street would be on the additional money going in to the pot.

If they did it any other way, then hands that went to the river would be raked much more severely than hands that just saw a flop.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that hands that do not see a flop are not raked.

--VS
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F

I can't be certain, but it seems to me that the rake on each street would be on the additional money going in to the pot.

If they did it any other way, then hands that went to the river would be raked much more severely than hands that just saw a flop.

True! It's probably just on the additional money. But I think they do it on every street and not the total pot at the end. I'm not sure though.

I'll try to remember and take a look this evening when grinding.

RasTweet
    • Gnillperker
      Gnillperker
      Bronze
      Wow I'm suprised your not totally sure on how they do it! Sounds like some rigged conspiracy shit! Well, I agree with you that they probably rake the total pot on each street, but it would be great to understand the details completely!

EDIT:

So I asked support:

At PP the rake is calculated like this:

Depending on the limits, the system takes the total final pot and divides it by the total number of people seeing the flop. As long as that divided amount is equal to or larger than the required amount for rake, rake is deducted.

So: In my limit 0.01/0.02 $, 0.01 is raked per 0.2 $

This means that as long as the total pot divided by the total amount of players seeing the flop is less than 0.2, the system doesn't rake.

Furthermore, the total pot won gets raked before the amount is added to your stack, even though I haven't seen this yet, although I haven't really paid attention.

Thanks!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, gnillperker,
      I also checked with support, but you beat me to it.

Good to know!

--VS
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Rake is evil, rakeback is cool.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Rake is evil, rakeback is cool.
      The Coolness can only happen if there is Evil? That doesn't sound too right now does it! :D

Gnillperker, I hope you're all clued up now on Rake? Or do you have a few more questions for us? :)
    • Gnillperker
      Gnillperker
      Bronze
      Oh yeah thanks, at I´m all good rakewise except that I don´t know what rakeback is :P

Got some info on that?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      I thought of this thread today when I played a hand with betting on several streets.
      I recorded the pot as displayed at the end of each street.

Here is the hand:
      Party, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $1.27 (63.5 bb)
      BB: $2.63 (131.5 bb)
      MP2: $0.59 (29.5 bb)
      Hero (UTG+1): $2 (100 bb)
      MP3: $1.88 (94 bb)
      UTG+2: $1.37 (68.5 bb)
      CO: $0.83 (41.5 bb)
      SB: $0.58 (29 bb)
      MP1: $1.94 (97 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K A
      Hero raises to $0.08, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.08, MP2 calls $0.08, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.08, SB raises to $0.58 and is all-in, BB folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, 2 folds
      Pot displayed on table as 1.83
      Rake so far: 0.09

Flop: ($1.92) 2 3 5 (3 players, 1 is all-in)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks

Turn: ($1.92) 4 (3 players, 1 is all-in)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks

River: ($1.92) J (3 players, 1 is all-in)
      Hero bets $1, MP1 calls $1
      Pot displayed on table as 3.73
      Rake so far: 0.19
      This is consistent with adding 0.10 rake for the additional $2, rather than adding rake for the whole pot once again.

Results: $3.92 pot ($0.19 rake)
      Final Board: 2 3 5 4 J
      Hero showed K A and won $2.81 ($1.23 net)
      SB showed K A and won $0.92 ($0.34 net)
      MP1 mucked J K and lost (-$1.58 net)

Final Tally:
      Main Pot:  1.92
      Side Pot:  2.00
          Rake:  0.19
           Net:  3.73

Paid to SB:  0.92 == (1.92 - 0.09)/2
      Paid to Hero:  2.81 ==  0.91 + (2.00 - 0.10)
      So villain got the benefit of rounding.

It seems then, that calculating rake street by street means that villain paid no part of the rake in the side pot, which seems rather fair.

--VS
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Gnillperker!

So you know what Rake is, Rakeback is just money that you can get back. Different rooms offer a different kind of rake back % and every room has a different way to give rake back.

You can find the proper explanation in this link.

Any further questions? Just ask!

RasTweet
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I can see why OP got confused. The glossary definition of rake gets a bit muddly between rake and rakeback (vip systems). The first paragraph is fine, but when talking about dealt rake, you'd expect to go on to timed rake and % pot; not contributed vs communal for vip systems.