Introducing Someone new to Poker...

• mccol001
      mccol001
      Bronze
      So I have been playing poker for around 3 years, only seriously the last 1.5 - 2 years, my brother has also been playing for 1-2 years, we are both making profit (not much atm but it's always increasing). We are both very serious about poker and are hoping to do this long term.

Our third (oldest) brother has played a bit of poker like a year ago and seems to think there's nothing to it, he knows nothing about positioning, bet sizing, BRM, ranges, anything at all but seems to think he knows how to play poker well. When we say stuff to him about positioning he seems to think it doesn't matter. He has no idea how complex poker is, he thinks it's a simple ABC game... We just want him to sit down with us for a few hours whilst we try to explain more complex poker concepts but he won't listen... He is a typical fish.

It is incredibly frustrating to know what I know and then to hear him say this. Has anyone got any good suggestions to how I can convert him? Any videos/articles I can show him?

Sorry if something similar has been posted before, thanks. :)
  • 9 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      there are ignorant fish and stubborn fish.

the difference is that ignorant fish just don't know better, and stubborn fish just don't want to know better.
    • mccol001
      mccol001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      there are ignorant fish and stubborn fish.

the difference is that ignorant fish just don't know better, and stubborn fish just don't want to know better.
      Guess he's pretty much a stubborn fish. :) He's actually quite clever though which is why I'm trying to get him into poker lol.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      you may want to present him some hand histories in which you demonstrate some thought processes and turn out to be right. :f_biggrin:
    • mccol001
      mccol001
      Bronze
      Haha we was just sitting here going through some hands to show him. :D
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      learn heads up and then play with him for real money :) once he will loose his last shirt, he will understand :D
    • Jimanyjerk
      Jimanyjerk
      Bronze
      Agreed with speed fanatic, there's nothing like losing to make someone realise that they aren't a winner :P

It's also possible that he might not want to play it seriously. I'm curious if there are any other suggestions though!
    • stevegold87
      stevegold87
      Bronze
      What I suggest you do is show him a couple of sharkscope or PKR of pros that are huge winners over huge sample of hands / tournaments.

Anyone with a brain and logic that sees that can't just say poker is only luck. 100% true. Works when I show that to friends that can listen.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      What stevegold said. Admittedly, I just don't understand that thought process.

Me: Yeah, Poker's just a luck game.

PokerStrategy.com: Hey bro, check out these Basic articles.

Me: Holy shit! Poker is AWESOME!

That's all it took. Beautiful thing about Poker. It's the only game in the world I know about where you can be a good, but not incredible player, and still make money long-term. Even a professional Poker player is nowhere near as skilled as a professional Chess player or a professional baseball player, because only the top few hundred or thousand of those players in the world can hope to make a living. Any good NL100 reg who puts in the volume can be a Poker pro. And while that's hard, it's orders of magnitude easier than becoming a pro at literally anything else ever.
    • StrategyLofthouse
      StrategyLofthouse
      Bronze
      If he stays the way he is (stubborn) and just plays without any strategy then he will lose more and more.
      He will then realize that there is more to this game than luck and come to you for help and advice.
      You can't force him to listen to you at the beginning. Just wait for him to ask for your help.