From robusto to busto! [6max Hyper Turbo's]

• Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

my name is Lars and I open this blog to share my poker journey with you. First of all I'm from the german community, that's why you should not expect fluent english :P . Though I will try my best to make it readable. Anyway if you notice any major mistakes I'm doing feel free me to correct me - I'm even asking for that! I hope to improve my english a bit to be honest :f_love: but enough of OT for now.

I'm here to tell you about my poker journey. I'm going to play the 6max Hyper's on Pokerstars. Unfortunately my computer crushed like 2 weeks ago and I lost almost all my HH. Sample size was around 1.200, so not that big actually. I opened a thread 3 weeks ago in the SnG section where I posted a video.

[url=http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=188976][Video] Hyper Turbo 6max Pokerstars[/url]

You can see my graph there, it's 4% EV ROI on a sample size of 1.200 games as I mentioned before. I cashed out some of my money, that's why my bankroll dropped to $500.

So I'll continue with round about 150 BI's for the $3.50's. I hope that's enough because the swings are big. In case I experience a really big downswing I have 11k FPP to buy ~$100 bonus $$$ :f_p: .

My longterm goal is to play the 30's some day. For the rest of the month I want to play at least 1k $3.50's, that should be possible for me. I need ~2,4k VPP's to maintain GoldStar on Pokerstars, but this is impossible :f_mad: . I don't have any $$$ goals, I'm happy if my EV-graph goes up, rest is up to the variance. I usually attend the weekly coachings which help me a lot to improve. Most of the time it's 9max Turbo SnG content, but even that helps because it's just about ICM. I obviously have some leaks. One of my biggest is that I'm too tight in some spots. But I'm working on it :) .

By the way, any table tennis players around here? I'm playing for 12 years now and I just love it :heart: . Can't wait for olympia, will be epic.

That's it for now, going to update this evening.

See you.

---------------------------------------------

Here are some statistics and graphs:

---------------------------------------------

$3.50

• 22 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to the blogging section in the English Community!

Willingness to try blogging in English is far more important than everything being correct all the time, we've got people from all over the place and as long as you make an effort it can't go wrong!

6 max hypers, eh? I personally find the variance in hyper turbos quite offputting, but I'll be most interested in following!

Good luck with the mission to build from $500, what BRM will you be using for moving up? How many tables at the time will you be playing?

Will be following your journey towards the 30s!

Regards,
      Richard
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      I think you need to have a great mindset for those Hyper's. 30 BI swings are pretty standard + if you run bad you can easily drop 50+ BI's in one decent sized session.

I'm running a tight BRM. I'll probably move up to the 7's with at least 200 BI's I think. If I feel very confident for some reason I might risk a shot with 150, but I think it will be 200ish. Probably same for the 15's. I think the "skill gab" between the 7's and 15's is bigger than from 15's to 30's, but we will see (or not :( ).

I'm trying to focus on a decent ROI, not paying too much attention to the hourly. At first I want to find and fix my biggest leaks before I increase the number of tables and probably increase my hourly as well. More tables = bigger swings in my opinion. So I think I'll be either 4-tabling or 6-tabling. Since I had a ~3 week break I'll start with 4 tables and slowly increase to 6.

I'm just hoping for a good start anyway, will let you know later =)

Thx for your post :)

Btw, I obviously noticed that my thread name doesn't make sense and it should be more like "From busto to robusto", but since I'm a pessimist I feel ok like that :f_biggrin:
      I really like the first episode of From busto to robusto. Here's the Youtube link anyway, it's worth it imo.

• jimira
      jimira
      Bronze
      Hi Lars, here from Denmark.

Just watched your video, and you are right - too tight in some spots. Now Ghaleon had a pretty good review of your play, and though he also missed some spots, it was very much what i saw too.

I play the $7 6max hypers on Pokerstars and play is similar to the 3.50s (only with less fish) but i want to make a remark of one thing Ghaleon did'nt mention.

It's your play from smallblind. I have taken 3 hands (from many) where I would have played different:

at 21:26 BB20, you fold A4o first in from SB - this is def. a hand that you must play.

at 11:30 BB20 you fold T4o - you can play this also! You can limp-stab or even raise if you have a read on your opp.

at 31:10 you shove Q8s with 10bbs - shove is absolutely fine - but you can take an alternative route and raise fold! The idea is, that most players only reshove with hands they would have called your shove, and are ahead of your range. So if you raise and they shove, you can fold and still have 7-8bbs left and room to play.
      And the beaty of this is as mentioned above - you can raise T4o because they fold most hands.

Blinds+antes are som important in these hypers - so you have to fight for everyone! And it's actually not that often it's folded to you in SB - so take the oppertunity to steal those chips.
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      Yes indeed. Sometimes I don't really see the point in raising too much from the SB. You're always OOP and the pot isn't that big. Though it's correct that you should at least raise your Ax hands. A limp/stab with T4o doesn't seem to be too good though. I mean you can obviously do this with any two cards, but I think people calling too much on the $3.50's. I don't see people folding their bottom pairs and it's hard to 2nd barrel in Hypers because it gets expensive.

Anyway I worked on that problem today. Wasn't too happy though because I misplayed some SnG's. Altogether I'm quite happy about the result of the session.

I'm not sure at the moment how I'm going to document my sessions. I just might post an alltime graph in the starting post and update it whenever I've played a session or so. Will think about it. Got two interesting hands of the session.

1.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds 6 Ante (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

Button (t904)
      SB (t405)
      Hero (BB) (t474)
      UTG (t455)
      MP (t762)

Hero's M: 3.95

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10, J
      2 folds, Button bets t142, 1 fold, Hero calls t82

Flop: (t344) Q, 8, Q (2 players)
      Hero bets t326 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: t344

In game I was like this hand is too good to fold vs just a BTN steal. But if I resteal it he will never ever fold. So I decided to play a Stop'n'Go here. I mean the flop was fortunately just perfect for me although I would never ever jam my Qx hands here. Villain was a solid looking guy so far, decent stats. Default line is to fold preflop obviously. And it's the best play anyway. But if I know that his range preflop is very wide, this seems like a possible way to adapt to it. Stacks and everything were just perfect too, rare spot I would say.

2.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds 6 Ante (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (SB) (t2113)
      BB (t887)

Hero's M: 20.72

Preflop: Hero is SB with 10, A
      Hero bets t120, BB raises to t240, Hero calls t120

Flop: (t492) 10, K, 4 (2 players)
      BB bets t641 (All-In), Hero calls t641

Turn: (t1774) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t1774) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t1774

Results:

Hero had 10, A (one pair, tens).
      BB had A, J (high card, Ace).
      Outcome: Hero won t1774

Villain was a tight player. I was aware of his tight range preflop, that's why a shove is never ever profitable. Though the odds were great and I had position postflop. So I called to see a flop. When the flop came he was like thinking for maybe 3-4 secs and then jammed all in. I was tanking for round about 7-8 seconds and then called him. In that time I was asking whether he would ever just shove any of his value hands in this spot. I think if he had like AA or AK he wouldn't just shove. In game he seemed very polarised on that range: JJ,QQ,AJ,AQ. Vs that range I have 53,5% equity + the additional dead money it's a pretty clear call for me in that spot. And it worked :D . Maybe this sounds like total bullshit, but I think I had a pretty nice read ingame :) .

Anyway, great start for me. I'm going to watch football now and then go to sleep.

See you tomorrow guys.
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      Hey pokerstrategy,

little update from me. Played exactly 100 SnG's today so far and running pretty well.

Tables have been really soft. 6% EV ROI is nice, would be happy about 3-4% longterm so everything above is sweet :D . Going to make a little break right now. I'll probably continue later but no idea how much I can play. Another 50 should be possible anyway and 150 a day for the rest of the month would even be enough to maintain GoldStar. Though I really doubt that :f_cry: . Had a funny hand during the session which just simply shows how the villains act :f_biggrin:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds 4 Ante (3 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (SB) (t890)
      BB (t1379)
      Button (t731)

Hero's M: 12.36

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3, 2
      Button calls t40, 1 fold, BB checks

Flop: (t112) K, 7, 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Button checks

Turn: (t112) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Button checks

River: (t112) 7 (2 players)
      BB bets t40, Button raises to t80, BB raises to t120, Button raises to t160, BB raises to t200, Button raises to t240, BB raises to t280, Button raises to t320, BB raises to t360, Button raises to t400, BB raises to t440, Button raises to t480, BB raises to t520, Button raises to t560, BB raises to t600, Button raises to t640, BB raises to t680, Button raises to t687 (All-In), BB calls t7

Total pot: t1486

Results:

Button had 7, A (three of a kind, sevens).
      BB had 9, 7 (three of a kind, sevens).
      Outcome: Button won t1486

Obviously the wrong guy won. I'm not even sure if I reached the HU :f_confused:

Anyway, see you later.
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      Ahahahahhahahaahahahah this is so epic :heart:

Just played a few more and it was seriously epic. I guess like 10 first time ever poker players just sat at my tables.

3 hands should be enough to make you lol :f_biggrin:

1.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds 10 Ante (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

SB (t1984)
      Hero (BB) (t1016)

Hero's M: 5.98

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, K
      SB bets t200, Hero raises to t1006 (All-In), SB calls t806

Flop: (t2032) K, 8, 8 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t2032) 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2032) A (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2032

Results:

SB had Q, 6 (one pair, eights).
      Hero had Q, K (two pair, Kings and eights).
      Outcome: Hero won t2032

2.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 60/120 Blinds 12 Ante (3 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

BB (t836)
      Button (t1370)
      Hero (SB) (t794)

Hero's M: 3.68

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 9
      1 fold, Hero bets t782 (All-In), BB calls t662

Flop: (t1600) 4, Q, A (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t1600) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t1600) 3 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t1600

Results:

Hero had 9, 9 (one pair, nines).
      BB had 5, 8 (flush, Ace high).
      Outcome: BB won t1600

3.)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 40/80 Blinds 8 Ante (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (BB) (t1016)
      SB (t1984)

Hero's M: 7.47

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5, 7
      SB calls t40, Hero checks

Flop: (t176) 3, 5, 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, SB bets t160, Hero raises to t928 (All-In), SB calls t768

Turn: (t2032) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2032) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2032

Results:

SB had 6, 9 (one pair, nines).
      Hero had 5, 7 (one pair, fives).
      Outcome: SB won t2032

Though they sucked me out few times i ran pretty decent :P . Was hilarious small session anyway :D

BR is $593 right now, I'm seriously afraid of the upcoming downswing.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Another 6 max hyper blog now we re talking :f_biggrin: btw couple of the hands I looked at

JT hand: i can see where your coming from that he's stealing wide and won't fold to a resteal, but you were planning on jamming any flop right? Personally I'd just fold it pre, not point in getting yourself in trouble in this spot

AT hand: Wp sir, he never has a king that he's over shoving the pot there unless he's really sick at levelling, nice call

Good luck at the tables
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      I would not jam any flop. Like for example on A63r I would just c/f because it hits his range and I can't represent much. QQ8r is dry too and I can't really represent anything as well, but it doesn't hit his range often enough. A Q is really unlikely for him to have and vs his 8x hands im flipping most of the time. I think it's ok to have such a play in your repertoire. Until now I probably did it like 5+ times and it always worked me so far :P , no sample size I know ^^.

I also recorded a video this morning. It was pretty nice imo, but I should have checked the sound before. My breathing was really loud, to me it was really annoying. So I'll probably do a second attempt tomorrow and hopefully it will be better. Had a nice hand during the video anyway. No idea if it's standard for you guys, to me it more or less is.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds 10 Ante (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (SB) (t1714)
      BB (t1286)

Hero's M: 10.08

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, 9
      Hero bets t200, BB calls t100

Flop: (t420) 10, 3, 9 (2 players)
      BB bets t1076 (All-In), Hero calls t1076

Turn: (t2572) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2572) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2572

Results:

Hero had Q, 9 (two pair, Queens and nines).
      BB had 7, J (high card, Queen).
      Outcome: Hero won t2572

I think we can argue about shoving this preflop or not. I know some players would tell me to shove this preflop all the time. I think raise/fold a decent line preflop especially if you see urself ahead of your opponent. Anyway, he called preflop and almost insta-jammed. He represents nothing really. I mean his play will never be good without decent reads on the opponent. I would put him on KJ,KQ,QJ - just broadway type hands that have straightdraws. For a second I was afraid of K9, but that should be the only hand in his range that beats me on the flop. Didn't really have reads on villain so it was just a call vs the random player on the $3.50's.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by Lasso
      I would not jam any flop. Like for example on A63r I would just c/f because it hits his range and I can't represent much. QQ8r is dry too and I can't really represent anything as well, but it doesn't hit his range often enough. A Q is really unlikely for him to have and vs his 8x hands im flipping most of the time. I think it's ok to have such a play in your repertoire. Until now I probably did it like 5+ times and it always worked me so far :P , no sample size I know ^^.[/QUOTE]

Nah i understand where your coming from but personally if i was villain there i probably wouldnt be folding A high or K high there, however yu do have equity in the pot :)

For the Q9 hand, you played it perfectly imo, you can shove, but i prefer min raise fold unless you know hes gunna resteal yu really light, OTF, standard call, i duno what he was thinking he was repping by shoving 2.5x but hey cant complain ;) I may have played with yu, ill keep a look out on my tables ;)
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      Yes maybe, though I'm trying to dodge most of the "regulars". I mean I can't really call them "regs" because there aren't really good ones playing on the $3.50's - at least not many. Though I got a few I like to play with. Most of the regs are shoving hands like A6o in the first hand first in from UTG. I mean that's sometimes even better to play vs random fishes :D . I also got some who are playing like 16/10, which is way too tight. So it's really easy to abuse them.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      ahh thats no fun, besides im the only good reg at the $3.50s ;) haha theres only one person ive avoided and thats this supernova
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      I think there are at least 2-3 Supernova's grinding the $3.50's. I had one on the tables this morning and he didn't hide from search feature. He was playing 15+ tables at the same time and he didn't seem to be that solid. I probably would sit at his tables if I notice him. While 15+ tabling ranges from such a guy are more than obvious and you can just exploit him. I think his nickname starts with a B, but have no idea what it exactly is. Would be nice to just take a quick look at his VPIP/PFR. He's most likely playing something like 18/15 or less I think.
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      Just got raped few minutes ago.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds 3 Ante (4 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Button (t734)
      SB (t316)
      Hero (BB) (t913)
      UTG (t1037)

Hero's M: 16.02

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3, 4
      UTG calls t30, 2 folds, Hero checks

Flop: (t87) 5, 6, 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets t60, Hero calls t60

Turn: (t207) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets t150, Hero raises to t820 (All-In), UTG calls t670

River: (t1847) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t1847

Results:

Hero had 3, 4 (straight, six high).
      UTG had 8, 7 (straight, nine high).
      Outcome: UTG won t1847

Damn what a cooler. Villain was a big fish and I was joking to myself like "Ahahahahahha he probably has 78 lawlz". I mean he doubled me up like 2 hands before this or so with that hand lol.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds 3 Ante (4 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

BB (t397)
      UTG (t683)
      Hero (Button) (t440)
      SB (t1480)

Hero's M: 7.72

Preflop: Hero is Button with 10, Q
      1 fold, Hero bets t60, SB calls t45, 1 fold

Flop: (t162) 3, 10, 7 (2 players)
      SB bets t60, Hero raises to t377 (All-In), SB calls t317

Turn: (t916) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t916) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t916

Results:

Hero had 10, Q (two pair, tens and sevens).
      SB had K, 9 (two pair, nines and sevens).
      Outcome: Hero won t916

So nasty QQ. EV ROI says 12% for today anyway so I'm pretty happy so far. Have played 48 SnG's and I'm break even at the moment. Hope to play at least 100 today. Will update later. I by the way updated the OP with a graph and some stats. Not a big sample size so far but I thought some pictures would be nice :f_cool: .
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds 4 Ante (3 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

SB (t989)
      BB (t924)
      Hero (Button) (t1087)

Hero's M: 15.10

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, J
      Hero bets t80, 1 fold, BB calls t40

Flop: (t192) 10, A, 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t60, BB calls t60

Turn: (t312) Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t160, BB calls t160

River: (t632) Q (2 players)
      BB bets t379, Hero calls t379

Total pot: t1390

Results:

Hero mucked K, J (straight, Ace high).
      BB had 10, Q (full house, Queens over tens).
      Outcome: BB won t1390

Can I ever fold here? Villain was a fish, that's why I did cbet so small. Don't need to balance anything. Turn was the money card. He called pretty fast and donked the river even faster. I was thinking for a while there. I'm sure sets would raise the turn. He would probably even shove 88 or TT preflop, because he was a big donkey. When looking at the river there aren't many Qx hands in his he would play like that. I don't even see QT in his range, because he probably go broke on the turn with that. So i was surprised to see that actually. The only hand that made sense was either AA or KJ. Because both hands have high nut potential so he would slowplay both of them. I mean if he shove the river I call too. It's so weird somehow, don't see how I can ever fold to such a guy.

Anyway, today's been very swingy so far for me. Peak was 30 BI's under EV lol. At the moment it's only 18, working on a comeback :f_p: . Basically im running pretty bad today. I got some sick setups with double stacks with blinds like 20/40, that costs so much EV longterm :( . Trying to get to break even and stop hopefully. Way to go though ^^.
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      I'm done for today. Guess I better dodge the run bad for the rest of the day :f_zZz:

Though I'm happy that I was able to keep the red line in the plus.
    • jimira
      jimira
      Bronze
      Well - that downswing had to come after how good you run yesterday :(

I also just play 4-6 tables, but without tableninja. I just got a trial yesterday to try and get up in tables, and I saw in your video that you could "pre-click" the foldbutton on a table even if it was not your turn.
      I can figure out that you have "table under mouse" but when I use that setting and click "F" for fold it does'nt work? Do I have to use another button?
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lasso
      I'm seriously afraid of the upcoming downswing.
      We all knew it :D

I can tell you how to fix the Tableninja thingy. You just don't have to choose just "Fold". Go to "Action Hotkeys" -> "Advance Action Hotkeys" -> "AA Check/Fold" it is and choose a prefered hotkey for it. This allows you to fold if it's either your turn or if it's still the turn of a random villain who's acting before you. So you can fold at any time. This is the most epic shortcut feature TN provides imo :) .

I'm going to bed now anyway, see you tomorrow :D
    • Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      As promissed my video for this weekend. Hope you enjoy it. Would love to get some feedback from any of you guys here. :)

• Lasso
      Lasso
      Bronze
      Hey,

already played 100+ SnG's today. Running ok'ish so far. Was experiencing an ugly downswing during the last SnG's that made me quit. Probably not for the rest of the day, but at the moment a little break seems good for me.

I was playing really good poker, crushing the retards pretty hard.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 40/80 Blinds 8 Ante (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (SB) (t1556)
      BB (t1444)

Hero's M: 11.44

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 7
      Hero bets t160, BB calls t80

Flop: (t336) 7, K, 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t120, BB raises to t1276 (All-In), Hero calls t1156

Turn: (t2888) A (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2888) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2888

Results:

Hero had A, 7 (two pair, Aces and sevens).
      BB had 8, 7 (one pair, sevens).
      Outcome: Hero won t2888

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds 6 Ante (3 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Hero (SB) (t900)
      BB (t1257)
      Button (t843)

Hero's M: 8.33

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 2
      1 fold, Hero calls t30, BB checks

Flop: (t138) Q, 9, 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets t60, BB calls t60

Turn: (t258) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks

River: (t258) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets t240, Hero calls t240

Total pot: t738

Results:

Hero had A, 2 (one pair, threes).
      BB had K, 10 (one pair, threes).
      Outcome: Hero won t738

I'm still running with 5% EV ROI which is good, but it could be better. Just hoping for a little bit more run good in the 2nd half for today :D .