This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

when to use the add on option

• Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      I was in a sunday mill qualifyer last night 10$ buy in. At first break I was at 5K chips 6th place. "starting chips was 1K" Blinds were at 150-300 after break.

I was watching the addons and almost everyone was adding on "I was now in 15th out of 30 remaining without adding on". I decided to get the addon after thinking for 4mins. I figured in the end adding on would let me see an extra 30 hands.

Should I have used the addon?

Ps- I was dumb and tried stealing the blinds with A4 on the button. buddy called with Q10 he showed after I folded. He had hit 2 pair on the flop. I was now at 2000 chips :( . finished 18th
  • 10 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      always add-on, no exceptions. simple reason is, the chips cost less than at the start of the tourney (e.g. 10$ tourney w/ 3k starting chips, the add-on is usually 10$ for 4.5k), but even if starting chips = add-on, it's usually a good idea to take it
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      What about if you have a 50000 stack and the add on is 1500 :D :P
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      it's still +ev
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dippy19
      What about if you have a 50000 stack and the add on is 1500 :D :P
      Then you are massive chipleader and will win the tournament anyway.
      ^^
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      If the add-on chips are available at a discounted rate then you should NEARLY ALWAYS take them.

If the add-on chips are available at a flat-rate (ie. the same price as your starting chips) then it is not a straightforward decision as whether or not to add-on. Your decision will depend on how useful the extra chips might be when considering their "skill-adjusted value". EG. In the situation in question perhaps some extra-chips are worth having since you will likely be able to maintain fold-equity versus late-position-stealers for an extra few orbits. Having an edge in skill will in general make you more likely to add-on.
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      always add-on, no exceptions. simple reason is, the chips cost less than at the start of the tourney (e.g. 10$ tourney w/ 3k starting chips, the add-on is usually 10$ for 4.5k), but even if starting chips = add-on, it's usually a good idea to take it
      Agree.
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      Great thanks for the feedback
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      add-on's are always +EV, except if you have like 90% of the chips in play.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Always? Even if they only add another, say, 10% to your stack? If we're deep stacked in relation to blinds then does it make that much difference?

ICM plays no factor? If I have 10k chips in a $10 buyin mtt and I get an add on for 2k more chips at the cost of $10 my chips nearly halve in value, assuming I haven't rebought yet.

Maybe it's wrong to discuss whether it's plus +$EV because it's a MTT?

Good question OP.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i usually add on

but i remember a tournament where i had 120k and the addon was for 2000... i chose not to add on..

gigabet dillemma, and all that.

btw any other case and it's always advisable to add on!!!!!