when to use the add on option

• Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      I was in a sunday mill qualifyer last night 10$ buy in. At first break I was at 5K chips 6th place. "starting chips was 1K" Blinds were at 150-300 after break.

I was watching the addons and almost everyone was adding on "I was now in 15th out of 30 remaining without adding on". I decided to get the addon after thinking for 4mins. I figured in the end adding on would let me see an extra 30 hands.

Should I have used the addon?

Ps- I was dumb and tried stealing the blinds with A4 on the button. buddy called with Q10 he showed after I folded. He had hit 2 pair on the flop. I was now at 2000 chips :( . finished 18th
  • 10 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      always add-on, no exceptions. simple reason is, the chips cost less than at the start of the tourney (e.g. 10$ tourney w/ 3k starting chips, the add-on is usually 10$ for 4.5k), but even if starting chips = add-on, it's usually a good idea to take it
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      What about if you have a 50000 stack and the add on is 1500 :D :P
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      it's still +ev
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dippy19
      What about if you have a 50000 stack and the add on is 1500 :D :P
      Then you are massive chipleader and will win the tournament anyway.
      ^^
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      If the add-on chips are available at a discounted rate then you should NEARLY ALWAYS take them.

If the add-on chips are available at a flat-rate (ie. the same price as your starting chips) then it is not a straightforward decision as whether or not to add-on. Your decision will depend on how useful the extra chips might be when considering their "skill-adjusted value". EG. In the situation in question perhaps some extra-chips are worth having since you will likely be able to maintain fold-equity versus late-position-stealers for an extra few orbits. Having an edge in skill will in general make you more likely to add-on.
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Originally posted by swissmoumout
      always add-on, no exceptions. simple reason is, the chips cost less than at the start of the tourney (e.g. 10$ tourney w/ 3k starting chips, the add-on is usually 10$ for 4.5k), but even if starting chips = add-on, it's usually a good idea to take it
      Agree.
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      Great thanks for the feedback
    • sw0ldo
      sw0ldo
      Bronze
      add-on's are always +EV, except if you have like 90% of the chips in play.
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Always? Even if they only add another, say, 10% to your stack? If we're deep stacked in relation to blinds then does it make that much difference?

ICM plays no factor? If I have 10k chips in a $10 buyin mtt and I get an add on for 2k more chips at the cost of $10 my chips nearly halve in value, assuming I haven't rebought yet.

Maybe it's wrong to discuss whether it's plus +$EV because it's a MTT?

Good question OP.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i usually add on

but i remember a tournament where i had 120k and the addon was for 2000... i chose not to add on..

gigabet dillemma, and all that.

btw any other case and it's always advisable to add on!!!!!