[NL2-NL10] Folding AA to turn shove

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I was playing quite aggressive on this table and 3-Betting quite lightly. His stats kinda made me believe that he had a set. I've been shown a set many times here lately and was a bit cautious this time so wanted to know if it was the right fold.

I did show him my cards and asked him if I made a good fold, he didn't reply and left the room just about 2-3 hands later.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $10 (100 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)
      SB: $23.86 (238.6 bb)
      Hero (BB): $22.33 (223.3 bb) 23/18/2.8/10.6/41/104
      MP: $10 (100 bb) 15/11/3.0/4.8/17/47 Agg Freq 33%

Preflop: Hero is BB with A A
      MP raises to $0.30, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1, MP calls $0.70

Flop: ($2.05) 5 8 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, MP calls $1.30

Turn: ($4.65) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.10, MP raises to $7.70 and is all-in, Hero folds

Results:
      $10.85 pot ($0.49 rake)
      Final Board: 5 8 9 3
      Hero mucked A A and lost (-$5.40 net)
      MP mucked and won $10.36 ($4.96 net)
  • 13 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello maheepsangari,

Preflop: 3bet it bigger 4x being OOP.
      Postflop: No way I am folding here, he could as well have worse hands JJ-KK or whatsoever. Way too good odds as well.

Best Regards.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Man I'm having a real hard time with overpairs.

Ok so why can't he have perhaps flopped a set like 99 or 88. He is a tight player, aggressive post flop but with such low VPIP I'd expect him to be fairly aggressive. If he had KK-JJ why wouldn't he want to shove on the flop itself fearing an overcard could fall like an A? If he really did want to play his overpair that aggressively he would want to do it on the flop itself to protect against draws.

Same logic also goes for why he can't have perhaps have a set since he'd want to protect against draws.

So at that time I thought, turn raise, tight player, hasn't really bull shit a lot recently, willing to shove in a 3-Bet pot, must have a strong hand and I folded.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well, what do you think he is doing with JJ+ for example?
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      And as far as odds go, with an overpair on the turn I either have huge equity or very little equity. Against a set a huge underdog and against an overpair far ahead so I didn't think odds would really matter here. It was either he has it or he doesn't kind of situation for me.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      And as far as odds go, with an overpair on the turn I either have huge equity or very little equity. Against a set a huge underdog and against an overpair far ahead so I didn't think odds would really matter here. It was either he has it or he doesn't kind of situation for me.
      You can't put the opponent on either sets only or overpairs only... you put the opponent on a range and vs that range we can easily Call.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by veriz
      Well yes JJ+ might shove but thats the thing, everytime I put them on JJ+ kind of hand they roll over a set and I feel like an idiot overplaying my hand.

Again if he had to shove JJ+ and wasn't slowplaying why wouldn't he do it on the flop itself?
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Ok, what range would you put him on? TT-JJ as I think perhaps QQ and KK would 4-Bet against the way I was playing on that table and get it in pre-flop.

so TT-JJ, 88, 99, 55, or max some broadway flush draw.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well yes JJ+ might shove but thats the thing, everytime I put them on JJ+ kind of hand they roll over a set and I feel like an idiot overplaying my hand.

Again if he had to shove JJ+ and wasn't slowplaying why wouldn't he do it on the flop itself?
      Why not? :) Maybe just wasn't sure what to do with the hand. So it's actually a pretty easy Call-down cause I would assume his range could easily be towards JJ-KK and even if we don't add JJ/QQ we always have to add some combos of those hands what we have beat and for it the equity is good enough to call.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold

Board: 5:diamond: 8:heart: 9:diamond:  3:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      SB     43.51%  43.51%   0.00% { JJ-88, 55 }
      BB     56.49%  56.49%   0.00% { AhAs }

If I add flush draws and QQ or KK my equity increases further.

Hmm.. I guess I'm tilting with overpair situations. I'm gonna post every freaking overpair hand now, I really need to learn how to play them.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black

Board: 5:diamond: 8:heart: 9:diamond:  3:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      SB     43.51%  43.51%   0.00% { JJ-88, 55 }
      BB     56.49%  56.49%   0.00% { AhAs }

If I add flush draws and QQ or KK my equity increases further.

Hmm.. I guess I'm tilting with overpair situations. I'm gonna post every freaking overpair hand now, I really need to learn how to play them.
      They ain't easy to play and often people tend to play them totally different that you should be playing, at least you ain't playing towards always going broke. :)
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      They ain't easy to play and often people tend to play them totally different that you should be playing, at least you ain't playing towards always going broke. :)
      :)
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Had the turn been Q :heart: instead then would you lean more towards folding since some overpairs would be reduced from his range?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Had the turn been Q :heart: instead then would you lean more towards folding since some overpairs would be reduced from his range?
      Then the range is more towards nutty hand cause then we beat less combos and JJ isn't going to ship.