Tilllltt!

• Thebridgedoc
      Thebridgedoc
      Bronze
      Well, not quite - I just want some thoughts... So I having poker tracker make me one of those pretty graphs showing All-in EV predicted versus reality and it turns out that I am down by $... - no wait hang on - that's useless for you to know.

I'm down 10BI at 100BB from where the graph should go - Aces, being cracked, completely legitimate shoves being rivered, that sort of thing. My BR is comfortable (it should be - I did a ranting post on it) but it looks to be under stress here. The green and yellow lines are diverging.

SO! I wanna hear your stories. - You got that right - a place to actually air your downswings... with one catch - I'd like to hear stories of those playing with a working BR management system... Barring that - vent away - how long did it last? How did you feel... heck... tell me the hands!

So there we are. I know my luck'll turn around but until then... tell me your stories
  • 16 replies
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Not many stories to tell...this is standard and happens weekly/monthly to alot of players (depending on volume). It's just a case of "same sh*t different month", just part of the game :)

As for how long it lasts, thats not possible to answer, short term results are just a random variable and anything can happen for an unspecified period of time. It's not until the long term that anything can be/is defined definitivly.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Personal record 11 000$ under EV over 40 000 hands, NL200-NL400, some NL1k.
    • Thebridgedoc
      Thebridgedoc
      Bronze
      I think I should clarify - I know it's part of the game totally - I'm completely happy with it.

I basically want to set-up a space to stop myself tilting by actually LETTING people tell bad beat stories. It's a light at the end of the tunnel thing basically.

So it's kind of already happy that down-swings happen, I know it - I wanna hear about it!
    • conquistadorrr
      conquistadorrr
      Bronze
      So yesterday I shove my AA vs 88 and the guy gets a straight. I didn't have the time for anything except say "pffff..." because the very next hand I get KK. But there was no time to refill my stack and I have 0.02$! And the same guy raises again! I slam down my mouse, curse a couple of times and push my 2 cents all in. KK vs QQ. He gets the Q on the flop and takes 0.02$ more from me. I felt sooo good! :f_biggrin: Because had I the time to refill the stack and lost 2BI's in 2 hands due to suckouts... I'd probably rage quit for the day, steam for a couple of minutes around the house and then just go do something else. Go out and have some coffee with friends, make a sandwich, watch a movie or some stand up comedy... and a couple of hours later I would be ready to crush the game again. I have slightly over 40BI's right now, I'm waiting for a bit more to move up the stakes so a couple of BI's bad day when it happens is not giving me any issues.

I think good BRM is great for reducing the tilt, because when you look at it - you can still keep playing normally even if some bad days happen.
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conquistadorrr
      So yesterday I shove my AA vs 88 and the guy gets a straight. I didn't have the time for anything except say "pffff..." because the very next hand I get KK. But there was no time to refill my stack and I have 0.02$! And the same guy raises again! I slam down my mouse, curse a couple of times and push my 2 cents all in. KK vs QQ. He gets the Q on the flop and takes 0.02$ more from me. I felt sooo good! :f_biggrin: Because had I the time to refill the stack and lost 2BI's in 2 hands due to suckouts... I'd probably rage quit for the day, steam for a couple of minutes around the house and then just go do something else. Go out and have some coffee with friends, make a sandwich, watch a movie or some stand up comedy... and a couple of hours later I would be ready to crush the game again. I have slightly over 40BI's right now, I'm waiting for a bit more to move up the stakes so a couple of BI's bad day when it happens is not giving me any issues.

I think good BRM is great for reducing the tilt, because when you look at it - you can still keep playing normally even if some bad days happen.
      If one bad beat already tilt you so much, you should really work on your mindset.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      SH/FR is suppose the one with the least variance, aka which leads to tilt. If you can't handle it, work on it or quit poker.

Wait until you see the variance of heads up games, especially hypers.
    • Thebridgedoc
      Thebridgedoc
      Bronze
      This thread may have been a mistake =P
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Thebridgedoc
      So there we are. I know my luck'll turn around but until then... tell me your stories
      Back on topic.

This is totally WRONG. Believing that after several downswings an upswing will come is WRONG, and vice versa. Variance is infinite and endless. Upswing and downswings are part of the variance.
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney
      Back on topic.

This is totally WRONG. Believing that after several downswings an upswing will come is WRONG, and vice versa. Variance is infinite and endless. Upswing and downswings are part of the variance.
      That is why you have to do everything you can to eliminate luck factor from the game as much as you can.
    • Thebridgedoc
      Thebridgedoc
      Bronze
      I know - I studied physics an know how random chance works - just it's equally stupid to assume I'm in a perpetual down-swing
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I know - I studied physics an know how random chance works - just it's equally stupid to assume I'm in a perpetual down-swing
      Upswing, downswing, break-even all meaningless.

In the end, there is only one hand, and that is the one in front of you.

Regardless of what went before, or what may come, you must play that one hand correctly.

In that hand, there are four possible advantages.
      • Card advantage
      • Position advantage
      • Stack size advantage
      • Skill advantage

In the long run the cards work out the same for everyone.
      Everyone gets to play each position in turn.
      The stack size just is what it is.
      [b]The [U]ONLY[/u] one of those [/b] that you control is your skill level.
      Your poker skill encompasses your knowledge of the game, your experience, your physical condition and your mental state.
      Building skill requires attitude and effort.
      Although there may be some in-born talents that make a good poker player, I believe that attitude and effort are the only two things you bring to the game -- besides a wad of cash of course.

Since attitude and effort are required to gain skill and experience, that is what we need to work on. Putting in effort to study the game, with all the material available to you here will inevitably lead to long-term success however you define it.

This applies to ANYTHING that you do of course, but poker is more difficult to master because of the continuous assault on your attitude cause by losses, and to a lesser extent by wins.

Sorry for the rant,
      --VS
    • Thebridgedoc
      Thebridgedoc
      Bronze
      I'll be honest - I just wanted to be light-hearted here and get a couple of stories. I know that the object is to play each hand optimally and try and minimise variance. I have a feeling I may have created a monster =P
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      @ VorpalF2F - excellent statement all of it being so true, it sounds like youve managed to master the mental side of the game which i think is the biggest part essentially like you say you can be the most skillfull player in the world but its no good if you tilt easily and lose your mindset and play badly. What game type/limits are you playing?
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      tbh the best I find to deal with bad beats, setups and other big pot losses is just to forget about them. I mean take a note on the bad play from the opponent if it is relevant, note your mistake so you don't do it again but the result is irrelevant.

be happy ;)

Thazar

just saw that as well: Bad Beat thread
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by grindshaft
      @ VorpalF2F - excellent statement all of it being so true, it sounds like youve managed to master the mental side of the game which i think is the biggest part essentially like you say you can be the most skillfull player in the world but its no good if you tilt easily and lose your mindset and play badly. What game type/limits are you playing?
      Thanks,
      Although I can put into words, I have a tough time putting into action.
      I did well at NL 10, but had a disastrous shot at NL 25.
      I didn't lose much money -- just a lot of confidence.

I'm currently back playing NL 2 FR, intending to move back up the limits.
      It is not going well, though, because I get so impatient.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by grindshaft
      Thanks,
      Although I can put into words, I have a tough time putting into action.
      I did well at NL 10, but had a disastrous shot at NL 25.
      I didn't lose much money -- just a lot of confidence.

I'm currently back playing NL 2 FR, intending to move back up the limits.
      It is not going well, though, because I get so impatient.

Cheers,
      --VS
      There is a huge gap between nl10 and nl25. Esp on stars. The gap is pretty huge. It took me like more than half year to crush nl25 and its getting harder and harder by the day.