Turn the heater up its getting cold (BSS NL25/NL50)

• grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      Hi there i thought it was time i made a blog and ill start by telling you a little about myself, im from England more specifically a small place in Lincolnshire called Scunthorpe, im 24 years old and have been interested in poker for around 5 years, i was made aware of pokerstrategy.com roughly 2 years ago and began to study the strategy and play SSS with some reasonable success after a few months moving upto NL50 and making a small profit, all this was while i was out of work and although i enjoyed the thought of playing poker for a living real life demands raw cash more frequently than zombie grinding micro stakes can deliver so i soon got back in work and before i knew it id withdrew my bankroll and put poker on the back burner for other aspects of life. Fast forward a couple of years and now im in a new line of work where i work shift patterns which consists of 4 days working 4 days off (2 12 hour day shifts followed by 2 12 hour night shifts then the joyous 4 days off) which in my mind i thought gives me the opportunity to pursue poker again as when the shifts fall my friends etc are also at work so im left with a lot of time to myself.
      I deposited $600 on pokerstars to receive the 100% deposit bonus and got cracking with learning some of the MSS strategy as SSS is now basically defunct and started off on nl25 with a few little swings i gradually got back into the swing of things. I'd never played a cap game before so was curious and started playing some NL50cap which was the same buyin as NL25 MSS but soon realised it was just like playing a full table of short stackers, which from the SSS strategy was simply not profitable as they're all just waiting to shove 2 cards and hope for the best essentially.
      I gained silver status and got access to more strategy articles and made the decision to try BSS once my bankroll allowed, it took some adjusting to start with but i feel im getting to grips with it now.

I mainly want this blog to track my progress whether it be winning or losing and i dont really want to set any unrealistic targets in stone, although i will post things i want to achieve so i suppose ive contradicted myself already haha

Anyway ive read lots of blogs on here and find it interesting and inspiring to see how other people are taking on poker (and life) so heres my take on it, feel free to comment as and when you like and tell me if you think im a badass or even if you think im retarded :)

I know i always skim to peoples graphs and results so lets start here (its not a coincidence im starting this blog on a heater)

BR:$1463.69

I hope the graph works and i want to know how to do the spoiler thing i find that quite amusing :f_grin:

GRINDSHAFT
  • 17 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogging section.

That sounds like a really rather nice pattern of working to squeeze in some sessions, both on your days working nights before work and on your days off!

Glad to hear you moved on to BSS, it's the most "real" poker experience, after all, and you don't have to be as bothered by changing tables every time you double or tripple up.

And, of course, the obvious question "Do you play Zoom or normal tables?", so hard to know for sure with people on Stars these days.

Nice graph, and nice BR increase, seeing how you only registered about 3 weeks ago with us!

To add spoilers, just write [.spoiler] test to hide [./spoiler] around what you want spoilered. (but without the full stops)

Will be following your progress for sure, so hope you keep updating!

Regards,
      Richard
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      Thanks for the welcome fruktpuff, yeah i much prefer the shift pattern than a normal monday to friday grind im basically working 6 months of the year with 6 months to do as i please haha. BSS is definitely the way forward like you say it feels like im actually playing real poker now instead of just fold fold fold shove with SSS, as for the zoom ive played a few hands of it but i found it rather random to be honest and poker tracker doesn't show any data for players so it just felt like i was in a random situation with all unknowns every hand and that i had no edge, so in short no im just playing regular FR.

In the previous post i mentioned taking shots at NL50 and thats what ive been doing the past couple of days slowly switching tables over from NL25, it got to the point last night where i was playing Nl50 exclusively and its going well i feel quite comfortable but i suppose running hot helps. Im still adjusting slightly but my main target is to just get on the fishy tables and at certain hours there's still plenty to be found although i have lost some money in some tight spots and even spazzed off a couple of full buy ins but thats all part of the learning curve i guess.
      Anyway heres my graph for NL50 so far and my first attempt at hiding something

Stuff i could really do with doing this month
      Learning how to blog properly
      Learn how to post hands and get some of the trickier spots analyzed by a judge
      Watch more strategy videos (i used to watch a lot of hasenbraten videos when i was playing SSS before i was impressed with his knowledge, is he still around/making videos?)

If anyone reading this is also playing BSS on similiar limits and fancies a chat or w/e please hit me up as im wanting to compare my stats to other peoples and see if im going wrong anywhere, well thats my blogging done for the day time to hit the tables :s_cool:
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      Just had a bit of a marathon session, played the biggest volume of hands for a day to date (4877)
      Playing mostly NL50 i started off playing 6 tables but as the session progressed i got greedy and ended up 15 tabling for the majority, i feel my play was suffering but at the same time i was getting horrible suck outs quite a lot so running well under EV. I think my ability to cbet and fire 2/3 barrels was greatly reduced its a lot harder to judge when under the time pressure its easier to be passive i suppose. Played a few misjudged bluffs as well costing me some $ but its official the heaters cooled down for the moment :f_mad:

Graph:

On the upside i played 2 $15 18man SNG's and won one for $100.02
      I also watched a video of a session by a player called hitman being analyzed and commented on, was a good video picked up a few bits from it think im going to watch part 2 tomorrow
      Think im going to buy into the sunday million as well seems as thought its half price, i used to dream of playing in it when i first discovered online poker so i know its ludicrous bank roll management but its only a one off :s_cool:
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      Just hit platinum status :f_cool: not really got time to update my progress as im back to work today and imageshack is not playing ball, will post when i finish work tonight though
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      15 tables NL 50, with 30 BI's ? That's craaaazy for me :f_o:
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Congratulations on the platinum!

Will you have any time to study our learning material and attend coachings for the new status between the grinding?
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      @ DeMarcohsp - Yeah i think you were right about the crazy part maybe it was a bit much to go from taking shots to 15 tabling in a few days well my graph seems to think so anyway lol

I used to use the old poker tracker maybe 2 or 3 and it used to have your EV adjusted money, i just assumed that the All in adjusted was the same principle could anyone shed some light on this? I placed my stat box inbetween the enormous gap between the 2 so i hope i am just running badly and im not trying to push the aggression too far, are you also playing NL50 id like to chat and maybe compare some stats, ideas etc if your interested.

When i realised the graph was going in the wrong direction i decided to drop back down to NL25 mainly and just pick out fishy NL50 tables here and there instead of just multiabling with shortstackers and regs and what a session i seemed to of forgot how much of a bigger percentage of fish there are compared to the higher limit :s_biggrin: i ran great which was a nice change of scenery

Heres my NL25 graph to date

@ Fruktpuff - Yeah i plan on doing a little study after i finish work and maybe designate one of my days off as study/other poker things only, tonight i watched Nascar1949's NL400 HU video which i found fascinating the way he thinks hands through is unreal, ive always been interested in HU and im definitely going to learn all i can about it so that can be another goal that im not supposed to be setting myself

I played in the sunday million no cash thought unfortunately i played rather shitty its been a while since ive been in tournament mode suppose it was a silly thing to do but at least i can cross it off the list of things to do before i die incase my heater runs out and i go busto :f_biggrin:
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      Well just finished my 2 days shifts now i get a 24 hour break until my night shifts start so time to squeeze into some grinding, my plan for the night is watch a couple of HU videos then play 1000ish hands BSS full ring and then play maybe half hour HU NL50
      Will update with graphs later (hopefully the kind that go up)
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      Well just finished my last night shift YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS :D
      Now 4 days off to pursue some poker, ive played a few hands after some work shifts but its definitely not +EV working for 12 hours through the night and then trying to multitable

At the minute im sat with 6 bottles of Fosters GOLD a tray full of magic tobacco and im watching "Major leaks on NL50" Part 1 by hasenbraten (his accent and flow of talking makes me laugh and concentrate deeply at the same time)

Will get on the grind when i get up later on tonight hopefully just in time for the massive amount of fishy traffic on pokerstars :f_biggrin:
    • TrueMortem
      TrueMortem
      Bronze
      nice, I'll be following this blog :) good luck and a lot of run good :)
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      Hey TrueMortem thanks for having a read, what games/site are you playing?

The NL50 Leaks video was quite insightful and got me thinking about a lot of differences between NL25 and NL50, hasenbraten talks about the majority of regs that are semi decent players but either are too passive pre/post flop or overly aggressive and how to exploit each player type. I felt i learnt a lot about the limit and im going to change my view of how to play it, im using PT4 with the hud but i feel like im not using it to its full potential and not really knowing the true meanings of a lot of the stats so my next aim is to stick to 4/6 tabling for a while and concentrate on looking at players stats (which ive got a substantial amount of hands on) whilst playing with them and seeing if i can use the information to exploit them in spots i would otherwise just c/f, b/f if i was playing a ridiculous amount of tables. Ive changed some of the stats that are displayed on the main hud and im going to experiment to see which combinations are best (with some snazzy colour coding of course)

Basically i feel the message ive learnt is try to look at beating the limit by winning BIG BLINDS as in try to outplay the regs to make small amounts of money instead of just mindlessly grinding waiting to get my money in with the nuts

Gonna watch part 2 of the series later then play a few hands :s_cool:
    • TrueMortem
      TrueMortem
      Bronze
      Originally posted by grindshaft
      Hey TrueMortem thanks for having a read, what games/site are you playing?
      switching between bwin, stars and pokerheaven... in nearest future i am going to play at WPT because of tracking...
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      Nice mate have you got a blog?

Well had a real good day today after a few bad ones, actually running above EV at NL50 for once :f_o:
    • TrueMortem
      TrueMortem
      Bronze
      Originally posted by grindshaft
      Nice mate have you got a blog?

Well had a real good day today after a few bad ones, actually running above EV at NL50 for once :f_o:
      yeah, look into my signature ;) that's a link to my blog :) btw nice run :)
    • grindshaft
      grindshaft
      Bronze
      As if i didnt notice it lol thats pretty good could you tell me how i could do one for my blog, thanks it feels good after a few bad days im massively under EV for NL50 its unreal ill have a read of your blog anyway mate need a break from the grind
    • TrueMortem
      TrueMortem
      Bronze
      just go into -> Forum and then in upper left corner are 3 little buttons : your profile, search and favorites... all you need is go to your profile there you will find " edit signature " :)

//edit: btw you need to deactivate the BBCode if you are going to insert a link ( it is in options there )
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Glad to hear the cooler's turning finally!