MTT-ing myself a bankroll

• ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Greetings Poker Strategy members!

My name is ains (not my real name, but has been my nick online for the last 8 years or so) and I'm here to add to the ever-growing selection of blogs you guys have. I'm 23 and just graduated university (studied philosophy) and now taking a year out before I continue with my education. And what better to do in a year off than play poker?

Haven't really had much of a chance to play while at uni, so been mostly reading and messing around at nl4/6 at 888. But now summer is here and there are no jobs to be had ... so I'm gonna start playing properly! I had an initial $15 deposit on my 888 account which is now up to a bank roll of $280.

I'm playing mostly 96c 40 man MTTs at 888, and also some daily $1-2 MTTs. Also playing some NL3/6 SH every now and then, but it drives me crazy: I can literally never tell when someone is shoving/re-raising because they're looking for excitement or because they've actually got something, and it makes me rage. Will start playing more cash games when I got tilt under control and larger bank roll (the guys at these limits are just unbelievably inconsistent).

I'll just be posting graphs and any interesting hands and stuff, the usual thing. But if anyone wants to talk poker or philosophy give me a message, always up for it, and got lots of time atm. Here's my tourny results from this month so far:

Can you see where I started playing 200+ participant MTTs ^^? Running pretty good atm ofc, and feeling good. But I know it is only one side of the coin: variance is variance. Waiting for that long stretch with nothing at all.

Goals for the immediate future

:spade: Increase bankroll to over $500
      :spade: Watch more videos about end-game and HU play in MTT
      :spade: Attend coaching every week for MTT and NLSH
      :spade: Review hands in HEM before starting each session

Don't know if anyone will read this, but if you do, feel free to post about anything. I'm based in Brighton btw.

peace x
  • 6 replies
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      I read it, good luck :) will follow.
    • Tiltmeifucan
      Tiltmeifucan
      Bronze
      Don't worry about no one reading your blog. :s_love: You'l see people are friendly here, and in time there will be bunch of people following you. :heart:

That also depends how interesting your blog will be. :s_cool:

Well whatever Good luck with your goals :s_thumbsup:

Subscribed

Best regards, Tilt
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogging section.

From $15 to $280? That's quite a nice start, good luck taking it to $500!

I'll be following your progress through the blog.

Regards,
      Richard
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      good luck and enjoy the freedom ains :)

don't think there is a better way of working on tilt than playing cash games. should give it a shot because it will greatly improve your game!

where did you study philosophy? that must have been heavy but it sounds like you enjoyed it so happy days. what are your plans for the future?

Lewis
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Thanks for the comments guys.

Dr Dunne: I studied at Sussex university, and it was pretty awesome. Philosophy is a great subject and really something that I'd recommend to everyone. Hopefully I will get on to a decent postgraduate course and see where I go from there (if it goes well, hopefully a shot at a PHD / academia).

Today has been not so good on the table front: haven't made ITM in anything all day. Fair number of bad beats, but also a lot of bad plays from myself. Need to take a break and do some studying I think. I have some major leaks. One I've started to note is that I'm calling raises with hands that I'm folding post-flop in situations where my stack just isn't large enough to be doing so.

Hopefully tomorrow things will pick up a bit, but who knows!
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Greets all.

Been playing a fair bit of MTT this past few weeks, with more $1-3 200+ seat and less 96c 40man. Going very well so far, average ROI of 75.3% over 340 or so games. Running good and enjoying it: there are some really bad players in these tournaments @ 888, especially at weekends. Makes for a nice Sunday afternoon. Here's the graph continued:

Also: finally graduated from uni and found out I got a first, which I'm pretty stoked about. Probably going to start looking at some unis for postgrad soon, probs somewhere in London or something.

Tried some more NLSH3/6 to little avail. I do enjoy it but it tilts me so much still. Will keep reading and hopefully once I've got a decent bankroll I can mix in cash games as standard to my sessions.

Bankroll: $290

Still a long way to go, but feel like I'm learning more and more each day.