Should I stop playing poker?

• Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      (EDIT: I've redone the whole post after checking my bankaccount. :D )

I've lost about 1000$ and 100€ since I started in January.
      I'm NOT a highroller. This is alot of money to me.

Current BR is crap.

Should I stop or just keep on pushing untill i start cashing large?
      Will the abovementioned happen? :O

I've spent so much time studying NL Hold'em, and still do.

What to do, what to do.
  • 11 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      err.. BRM... bankroll build from a small amount, imo..
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Keep grinding it out at the lower limit that you've already won before and grind bonus' to keep you afloat during the downswing.

I'm down 1 K on my current limit (2-4$ FL SH) but I'm working on my game just keep posting hands and *try* to keep a positive attitude, maybe make a video of your session and post it in the self-study so other people can analyse it etc.

Good luck!
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      Add me on msn. Så kan vi snakke litt poker.
      sondreDOTTholvikKRØLLAVFAgmailDOTTcom
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Snodreliss
      Add me on msn. Så kan vi snakke litt poker.
      sondreDOTTholvikKRØLLAVFAgmailDOTTcom
      Adda deg. Fett.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      My advice: quit. I don't think you'll ever win, since depositing players don't often turn into big winners. To make that amount of money you lost, you need to play pretty high limits, and if you can't even beat the low limits, then I'm sorry, but nothing will help. If you really want to play on, then take the losses on the chin, and start over with ~50 bucks, and read articles, post hands, play micro's. This won't be for winning money, this would be for fun. If you don't like playing micro's/developing your game on low limits, then my advice would be: quit.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      what nick said^^^
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      My advice: quit. I don't think you'll ever win, since depositing players don't often turn into big winners. To make that amount of money you lost, you need to play pretty high limits, and if you can't even beat the low limits, then I'm sorry, but nothing will help. If you really want to play on, then take the losses on the chin, and start over with ~50 bucks, and read articles, post hands, play micro's. This won't be for winning money, this would be for fun. If you don't like playing micro's/developing your game on low limits, then my advice would be: quit.
      That was harsh man. If some palyers win some lose isn't that logical?

Play low limits again. I am newbie and i am trying everything :D I suck at turnaments. Or i push wrong time(like with AQ against AK) or i ran out of luck like losing with QQ against 88(preflop all-in). But at NL i am doing fine. Not winning big tiem but still winning a bit.
      Maybe if you don't play well at NL try SNGs. Maybe you'll do great there i don't know.
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      I think that if this was to come from someone, it had to be you. :evil:

If I can prove you wrong, will you take it back? I belive I can do it.
      Most of the money I lost was before I read any strategy and two months before I even found this site. Money lost is money lost. You can't win back anything. If you earn or win money, thats new money. Not the ones youve lost.

Thanks for the new signature by the way. :tongue:
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      I don't think it's harsh, it's just honest. I just think 1200$ is a LOT of money. I wouldn't want to lose that much on something lame as gambling. I wouldn't buy lottery tickets for such an amount of money either, over 3 months time. I just wouldn't be to hopefull if I find a site with good articles, which can make anyone with just a lil' bit of talent win on micro's, and I lose 50$ free cash.

If you want to prove me wrong? Be my guest, I hope you'll turn into a winning player! But then I advice you to deposit 25-50 BI for the lowest possible limit out there, and work my way up from there. I wouldn't deposit the amounts you have deposited before.

btw: the thread title was "should I quit?", then it's not that weird that I say "yes, seems like a good idea". I have asked myself the same questions a couple of times before, but that was different, since Im already a winning player.

and this:

Should I stop or just keep on pushing untill i start cashing large?
      Will the abovementioned happen? rotes Gesicht

doesn't seem to me like the right attitude towards online poker. You shouldn't play for money, esp. @ the start. Play for fun, and try to be a winning player (which is the fun for me, I wouldn't play if I were a losing player).
    • thienimon
      thienimon
      Bronze
      I reckon once you started playing for real money you can't go back to play money. Not much excitement as playing for real money.

Vargan, I've been in your shoes man you lost $1200 , I did almost -$8K xD which most of the money from grinding.

You should really take break from poker, but if you wishes to play , play small limits just to be entertain. If you still have a BR, enjoy it, rather than having nothing left to play which lead you to keep getting the feeling you need to gamble (bad road for poker players - here you have serious gambling issues).

Regrets of losing big will never get you the $1.2K, if you can make $1.2K in the beginning i believe you can do it again but just take time.

Even if you say you read books here and there...doesn't mean thats the reason to put more money to gamble...you just be more disappointed in yourself if you lost it.

Best recommendation from me is to play for enjoy on small limits(small cash game and tournament)...when you feel your doing bad turn off computer and go outside to relax. =]

Note:"I reckon most players play poker just to make them [feel good] by the number in their cashier"

Cheers mate,
      Thien
    • Deflowerer
      Deflowerer
      Bronze
      Try live poker,c-games and tournaments.

Longer I play more suspicious I get on net poker.
      Every time I'm up more than 500e i get the hands I can't fold.It really pisses me off.

Last one was hillarious. QQ on raibow flop K,Q,6
      Of course,I landed on KK.Same old story over and over again,lol.

Bad beat j-pot was very nice thou,at least it was close :)