Switching to BSS (+Hand Evaluation)

• metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Yo, newb fish here switching to BSS, got a few questions :f_biggrin:

1) The starting hand chart for BSS doesn't say anything on 3betting/4betting, I'll for the most part 3bet TT+/AKo, 4bet shove QQ+/AKo and call a 4bet shove with KK+/AKs, is this an ok range against unknown opponents?

2) How do you deal with preflop minraises? Especially with medium pocket pairs? I really dislike the 2bb raise, as it virtually accomplishes nothing, if you have a good hand you create a small pot and if you have a crappy hand it is not a big enough bet to dissuade people coming in the pot with you. But as I've seen people do it with KK and I've seen them do it with 84 it makes it quite a touchy situation for me as to how to play with marginal hands as you'll see from my hand with 88 below.

Now to some hands, this session I only made 0.42 but was slightly card dead preflop, about 300 hands highest pocket pair was 88. This was made up for by some very friendly flops over the session :f_biggrin: :

HAND1: The only big loss of the session, AK vs TT. I feel like flat calling a 3bet OOP is very weird play, maybe I should have been a bit more cautious of AA, but his two calls make me think he has something like 77. I try to represent JJ but he's not letting go of his tens. PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $1.65
      SB: $1.00
      BB: $1.10
      UTG: $2.03
      UTG+1: $1.41
      MP: $2.76
      MP+1: $4.68
      LP: $2.35
      Hero (CO): $2.01

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has K:club: A:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.08, fold, MP+1 calls $0.08, fold, Hero raises to $0.32, fold, fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls $0.24

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) 3:diamond: 9:diamond: Q:club:
      MP+1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.75, 2 players) 2:club:
      MP+1 checks, Hero bets $0.42, MP+1 calls $0.42

River: ($1.59, 2 players) 6:spade:
      MP+1 checks, Hero checks

MP+1 shows T:diamond: T:club: (One Pair, Tens) (Pre 57%, Flop 74%, Turn 86%)
      Hero mucks K:club: A:diamond: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 43%, Flop 26%, Turn 14%)
      MP+1 wins $1.53
  • 9 replies
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      HAND2: This hand was weird, opponent 3bet shoved from BB, and posts "AA" in the chatbox. I genuinely believe he had aces (but would still never fold KK here) and was trying to double-bluff me into calling. What I want to know from this is, chatbox info aside, what is the BSS range for calling a resteal shove against unknown opponent?
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players

BTN: $2.24
      Hero (SB): $2.11
      BB: $0.82
      UTG: $1.93
      UTG+1: $1.91
      MP: $3.76
      MP+1: $2.00
      LP: $2.00
      CO: $2.00

Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has 8:club: 8:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.08, BB raises to $0.82 and is all-in, fold

BB wins $0.16
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      HAND3: This here is probably the hand I would like the most feedback on, was I too passive here? I figure he is folding a worse hand no doubt, yet reraising me with one of the many hands that had me beat. His call made me suspicious, so I was happy to just keep the pot small IP.
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players

Hero (BTN): $2.00
      SB: $1.33
      BB: $2.00
      UTG: $1.80
      UTG+1: $1.57
      MP: $3.32
      MP+1: $3.40
      LP: $0.86
      CO: $3.16

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has K:heart: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.08, SB calls $0.07, fold

Flop: ($0.18, 2 players) 3:diamond: Q:club: K:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.12, SB calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.42, 2 players) Q:spade:
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.42, 2 players) 7:club:
      SB checks, Hero checks

SB shows J:club: T:heart: (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 36%, Flop 28%, Turn 16%)
      Hero shows K:heart: A:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens) (Pre 64%, Flop 72%, Turn 84%)
      Hero wins $0.41
    • ClimaxingWalrus
      ClimaxingWalrus
      Bronze
      Hand 3 keep betting and if he raises on the turn just fold. It's NL2 and he doesn't have a full stack so chances are he has almost every suited king and at least K9o+, as well as flush draws, open ender and maybe even any gutshot. If he has the Q he will almost always let you know, BELIEVE HIM WHEN HE DOES. Bet the river too if he just calls the turn and it's a brick istead of the 7c he'll see all the draws the missed, find a way to put you on one of them and call you with 88 or smth stupid.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I thought the shorter the stack the less hands you play because you're not getting the implied odds for suited connectors etc. so he shouldn't have those hands in his range.

Or are you just thinking along the lines of he had $2 and lost $0.70 and is still playing so probably doesn't know what's going on? Cos he could also be playing min buy in and be up $0.33
    • suitedaces1701
      suitedaces1701
      Platinum
      I won't really give advice with FR because I had a couple beers and I don't play it lol. For the min raise thing, there's a 20 rule for pocket pairs (or something like that) where you get the right odds to hit a set if your stack covers the bet 20 times (i.e. he raises to $0.04, you should have at least $0.80 in your stack to call). Personally if I'm in late enough position, I think I'd 3-bet a min-raise with 66+ because I would think that ZOOM NL2 FR players are pretty much hit or fold/nitty? I DUNNO six max is better :s_cool:
    • ClimaxingWalrus
      ClimaxingWalrus
      Bronze
      What's his VPIP/PFR, I bet it's something like 30+ VPIP / 5 PFR. Yes sometimes he shouldn't have those hands but most likely he still does. If people didn't how do you think poker would be profitable? Not nearly everyone does what you think they "should do".

I mean if he had a clue he would have 100bb or 40bb, if he doesn't there's a high likelihood he's a fish.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Hand 1 dont 3b so big. 3x is fine. As played just check it down. the turn is a blank so really bad spot to bet - rather than doing that just cbet the flop you'll have a lot more fold equity.

Hand 2 I just ignore the chat box especially in zoom your not going to pick up any information. Bet/folding is fine. It's hard to say what range to call with as its very oppponet specific.

Hand 3 like walrus said just keep betting. You need to protect your hand and get value.

For 3b/4b you need to look at the opponent and their position. For example say a 14/10 TAG opens utg. You have AK and 3b. His range is about 44+, AK, AQ and he calls with TT+, AK. So boards you miss your behind against TT+. If you do hit an A or K he's not going to give you much action with TT-QQ(KK), you split with AK and your way behind against KK/AA. So a 3b here you've got huge reverse implied odds.

Against a min raise just take the odds and call with pocket pairs. Make a note if the guy shows KK or 84... If villain shows 84 type hands then you can start 3betting with a wider range for value.

(Don't play fullring so could be wrong)
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holmeboy
      Hand 1 dont 3b so big. 3x is fine. As played just check it down. the turn is a blank so really bad spot to bet - rather than doing that just cbet the flop you'll have a lot more fold equity.
      Thanks for the input.

Usually I do 3bet 3x the initial raise but in this case there was one caller to the raise as well. If I only raise to 0.24 I am laying 2.5 to 1 odds to call, which are almost the odds of hitting a pair on the flop with any two unpaired cards. Obviously my NL2 opponent is most likely unaware of this, but I want to create a situation where he is making a mistake to call.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Ah sorry didn't see the caller! Your betsizing is fine then