DON Long run Break even

• kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      I found this in the DON SNG strategy article.
      Rake can mean losing money in the long run, even when you break even in play!
      I didn't get it clearly.
      So, does this mean that you lose money in the long run playing DON if you are break even?
  • 10 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Yes, basically take 100 DON, you win 50 and lose 50, what happens? Let's say the DON buy in is 1.10$ you play those 100, you have in total spent 110$, those 10$ are gone that's it, you lose 50$ as you lost half the DON, but you won 50 of them so you are up 100$, but in the end you are still in the hole for 10$ that were paid in rake, so you need to be better that break even or rake will eat you alive.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      DoN's are such an ugly format of poker, consider playing ANY other format of poker imo. DoN's are prob bottom of the barrel when it comes to poker.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyjm
      DoN's are such an ugly format of poker, consider playing ANY other format of poker imo. DoN's are prob bottom of the barrel when it comes to poker.
      Why exactly? Just curious.
      I don't actually play DONs.
    • acetbfish
      acetbfish
      Bronze
      DON's are the most boring format of poker. You're just going to hate poker if you are playing only don's. Also,you're not evolving as a poker player playing this format.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Bronze
      because the rake will kill you as posted above. unless of course you have a very high rakeback then playing breakeven will not be a problem
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kruger32
      Originally posted by jonnyjm
      Why exactly? Just curious.
      I don't actually play DONs.
      1) There boring as hell.

2) There barley profitable which makes them a waste of time when you could be playing another format.

3) They don't really teach you anything about poker, essentially all your doing is folding and occasionally shoving. You are playing a survival game rather than a value game so are protecting your stack rather than accumulating one.

4) There a dead end and don't offer any poker growth.

I could go on...

If your good at poker you'll make more money else where. If your not good at poker your better off learning to become good at a game that offers some profit potential.
    • kruger32
      kruger32
      Bronze
      I get your point.
      Very true.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by kruger32
      I found this in the DON SNG strategy article.
      Rake can mean losing money in the long run, even when you break even in play!
      I didn't get it clearly.
      So, does this mean that you lose money in the long run playing DON if you are break even?
      I agree that DoNs are boring, however they do have some positive aspects.

For example, on Party Poker, the $6 DoNs have only 1/11th rake, (5.50 + 0.50)
      whereas the normal SnGs have a 1/9th rake (5.40 + .60)

Using that example, you need to be in the top 5 of 10 players 55% of the time in order to be almost exactly break-even in dollars.

If you play exactly 100 $6.00 DoNs, you spend $600 in Buy-Ins
      If you win 55 of them, you win $605.
      However, if you only win 50, you have lost $50.

If you play carefully, you can easily achieve this winrate, as long as you have the bankroll to afford that level.

In contrast, in a standard SnG, you get nothing for 4th and 5th.
      Assuming equal #s of 1st, 2nd and 3rd finishes, you still need to be ITM a little over a third of the time to break even.

Last November, PokerStrategy.com offered a "Go for Gold" promotion, and I played double or nothings to achieve that, and clear a bonus at the same time.
      This is the result: The swordsman takes a swing at Gold

I stretched my BRM to do this, but it was fun, and I got gold and the bonus.
      --VS
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      hum a good don win rate is like 4%. And you probably need like a years sample to make epected value unless your a sicko like me. Anyway you play dons for rake not for profit...
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      Anyway I raked like 50k in a month playing dons their so dumb Id rather shovel donkey shit then a sng rakeback pro