When to stop

• hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      When should i stop play?
      Should i stop play after i earned 1, 2 or 3 buy ins?
      Because when i earn like 4-6 buy ins. I begin to call too many bets and
      raise at the wrong times just because i have money and have the big stack.
      And i do it unconsciously. So.. Is it any rule on this topic?
      I have began to stop play after i earned 2 buy ins and then start over again at a new table and earn my way up to 2 buy ins agin and again etc.
      So what do you think of my system?
  • 19 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      you have to find your own way. :f_biggrin:

my play changes subtly after i win too much, and not-so-subtly after i lose too much :f_confused:
      i'm getting better at recognizing when these come. then if i take a break (20~60 min) i'm mostly able to continue well :f_biggrin:
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      alright! I haven't tried that one before
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by hvard92
      Because when i earn like 4-6 buy ins. I begin to call too many bets and
      raise at the wrong times just because i have money and have the big stack.
      As you get used to playing each hand individually, this will become less of a problem.

When you get to silver status, there is a strategy article on playing deep stacked that might help, too.

Like you, I usually rat-hole my money when I get a big stack, but I usually do that at 2.5 BI

--VS
    • JJSimpson
      JJSimpson
      Bronze
      I definitely wouldn't stop playing after you earn a couple of buy-ins, might be best to join a new table fresh though if you find yourself calling too much but if you're running good and still making +EV decisions I wouldn't stop playing. :)
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      alright, thanks! Regarding to the silver status. I have an account on betfair, but i have serious problem depositing. Can i change to another software or is my bonus rooted to the software i chose on Pokerstrategy?
    • Vito992
      Vito992
      Bronze
      Try using the MSS. It's an ABC poker, but it's profitable.

PS in the last 3 days (574min of play) I made 12,03$ by playing on NL2 ($0.01/$0.02) at 3-4 tables at a time
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      alright, thanks! Regarding to the silver status. I have an account on betfair, but i have serious problem depositing. Can i change to another software or is my bonus rooted to the software i chose on Pokerstrategy?
      Hey hvard92,

You can only get the $50 starting capital once and at one room, unless you are randomly selected for a 2nd starting capital but this is pretty rare. However you can have as many of Our partner poker rooms linked to your PokerStrategy.com account as you please. The only rules are it must be a brand new account on the poker room and you need to follow the sign up instructions carefully to make sure you track the account properly to us. So have a look through the poker rooms see what you like the look of you can see all the first deposit bonuses on that page too and before you know it you will be silver status ;)

Have a nice day
      Carl
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Ok, so i can pick several pokersoftwares trough pokerstrategy?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Yep. Lets say you had never played poker online before. You could come along here and download all our partner rooms and create accounts on them all tracked to us and everytime you play on one of them you will generate Strategy Points :)
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Ok got it now. Thanks!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Ok, so i can pick several pokersoftwares trough pokerstrategy?
      Did you mean "Poker Rooms" ?

If so, you can join as many Poker Rooms through us as you wish, join them all if you really want! :D
      If you're not sure about which Poker Room to sign up to, you can check out our dedicated thread Choosing the right Poker Room for you! . One of our Team will work out which room would suit you best and post a response telling you their findings :)

As for your original question, If you're winning you should continue to play as long as you're not sleepy, hungry or thirsty, as these could effect your game with you even knowing it. IF you are beginner to call too many bets because you have changed your mindset, or example "I can afford to call this, I just won $10" then you're no longer playing your A-Game and you should Stop, take the winnings and finish the session a happy man.
      When you're losing, this can cause some minor or even major tilt and cause you to even more $, so as before, if you're not playing your A-Game, STOP! Don't stay on trying to win back loses, that not poker, its gambling ;) Take a break and come back stronger.
      You may also wish to check out our strategy article on Stop - Loss. I use this myself and has saved me sooooo much $, hopefully it can for you also.

Anything else you need help with, give us a shout.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      No problem, don't hesitate to ask if you have any more problems, thats what were here for
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Thanks man. Really helped
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi hvard92

It's a common leak that ppl start to spew once they reach a certain stack on a table. I try not to look at the money I have at the tables. I look at the villains stack but not at mine. If villain is a bit deeper then I'll have to look at mine though. But I guess on the micro's ppl won't be that deep that often.

If you can't stop looking at your stack try putting something over it? Maybe a HUD or stick something to your screen? :f_biggrin:

Your play shouldn't change when playing vs 100bb stacks thats the most important thing here!

RasTweet
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tip. Great idea.
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      I never stop. Whatever happens happens.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      I never stop. Whatever happens happens.
      Well I would "+1" this but it's not completely true. I keep going until I realize I'm losing to much on a table. Sometimes I'm sitting on a table on which I really can't make a profit no matter how many fish.

Then I just close the table and find me another fishy one.

RasTweet
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Ras :D OP is talking about winning. I am never walking away from a paying out table. So whatever happens happens. I could leave that table and be raped somewhere else. :f_o:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Ras :D OP is talking about winning. I am never walking away from a paying out table. So whatever happens happens. I could leave that table and be raped somewhere else. :f_o:
      +1 :f_biggrin: