[NL20-NL50] SH50 55 set

• circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 7 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $56.19 (112.4 bb)
      BTN: $87.29 (174.6 bb)
      SB: $30.15 (60.3 bb)
      Hero (BB): $79.15 (158.3 bb)
      MP1: $55.82 (111.6 bb)
      MP2: $50.44 (100.9 bb)
      MP3: $41.52 (83 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 5
      4 folds, BTN raises to $2, SB folds, Hero calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.25) 5 J 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $4, Hero raises to $10, BTN raises to $22.25, Hero calls $12.25

Turn: ($48.75) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $25, Hero folds

Table got short from FR. Villain is fish, SH stats 30/17/5.6, usually passive post, AF 1.8. Less aggressive preflop for FR.

He raises big on the BU and I immediately put him on a big hand. When he re-raises the flop, my biggest problem was how to get all his stack, and I was really affraid he may fold to a shove. If he has JJ that's it, I'm going broke anyway, but I really thought he had an overpair and simply overplaying it. When I called his reraise, my plan was to donk half pot on the turn, which I know he would call and he wouldn't realize that will commit him for the river to give me the rest. The only thing I was really affraid was an A on the turn, that would kill my action for KK-QQ or put me behind. I check and when he bets I was sick.... thought long and folded.

Is this too weak? Can I give him AJ, 22 or a bluff and still go broke? I'm almost never folding sets, but this seemed one of those spots that seemed right.
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello circoflax,

Guess I'd just get it in on the flop. He is definitely capable of overplaying a lot of overpairs there, doubt that he is folding them.

As played kinda ugly card for us while I assume now that AA is in his range and which even completes. QQ-KK most likely wouldn't even betting for value anymore cause they would rather pick passive approach and Check behind, not that many draws from he needs to protect what called on the flop. So only hope is that the guy has 22. We just beat bluff.

AJ most likely would have just called the flop unless you assume that he is capable of oveprlaying TPTK like that.

Best Regards.