Of party and Poker: My SnG 100$ to 1000$ goal thingy

• Enni2S
      Enni2S
      Bronze
      HI!

Welcome to yet another person's blog about grinding from one end of the monetary scale to another. I feel like I am starting my own diet progress blog, but then of poker, talking about my ups and downs, milestones and regrets along the way. Even though I am now trying to take poker more seriously in my life, I have never been one of the long analysis talks and math calculations; I'm one of those dreaded 'feeling' fuzzy-women types. Don't fret, I do know the stuff, I just prefer to engage with it as little as possible, in order to keep my sanity.

Lets see. So I started out with depositing 15 of my own hard-earned 'Would you like fries with that' cash, but I soon figured that I wanted a more round and healthy number in my poker account. In order to do this I must admit that I took the lazy route. I passed the pokerstrategy quiz and got 10 of my 50$ starting capital, but instead of carefully grinding up through the limits like I was supposed to, I played on Willliam Hill's roulette table for a few hours. This rewarded me with a whopping 218 dollars (it must have been my lucky day). 85 of which I will add to my humble bankroll on Party Poker, the rest of which I will split between William Hill for when I feel like playing anything non-partypoker related, and my hairdresser, because a girl simply has needs.

A quick calculation tells me that I am starting out with a hundred dollars in my poker account, ready to squander on 2 dollar sit n go's. This is my goal:

Get from 100$ to 1000$ dollars by playing single table SnG's

play 2$ SnG's at a rate of 20 a day (about 4 an hour, I can simply not play more at the same time) with an expected ROI of 20% leaving me with a profit of around 4$ a day. It should take me around 50 days to reach the 300$ mark, at which I will switch to 3$ buy-ins until I reach the 11$ SnG's. Then I will hopefully grind my way up to 1000$ :p I'm hoping it will take me somewhere between 80 and 90 days to accomplish this goal, but since I've never played consitently for so long, I'm just basing my calculations on my cash game and PKR microstakes SnG experience.

I think that most of my blog will involve me waffling about a load of things non-poker related, but that's just who I am so if you can't be bothered with that turn away now :) . If you're not bothered, feel free to listen to my whining of the trials and tribulations that come with my poker experience.

That's it for now. I will start the challenge in a few days, so in the meantime I will just post about things that I have learnt, found, theorised over or whatever goes on in my life.

x

Enni
  • 11 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogging section!

Looking forward to seeing you progress on your journey through the stakes!

Blogs are for one and each to post in what they see fit, so non-poker related stuff is quite fine! I mean, it's not as if the blogs which have over 5000 posts are about poker in each post, right? :D

Regards,
      Richard
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Blogs are for one and each to post in what they see fit, so non-poker related stuff is quite fine! I mean, it's not as if the blogs which have over 5000 posts are about poker in each post, right? :D
      isn't there some kind of theorem that says the more posts in a thread the higher the proportion of offtopic or something?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey nice to see you blogging - will be following.

good luck with your goal thingy :D

Lewis.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      isn't there some kind of theorem that says the more posts in a thread the higher the proportion of offtopic or something?
      Hi Enni2S,
      Those sound like great goals, and what is even better, you have a workable plan to get to them.

As for off-topic stuff, the non-poker parts of the blogs are the best parts!

All the best,
      --VS
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      Hi Enni2S,
      Those sound like great goals, and what is even better, you have a workable plan to get to them.

As for off-topic stuff, the non-poker parts of the blogs are the best parts!

All the best,
      --VS
      Tomaloc, that sounds really really plausible, but it is as Vorpal says though, isn't it? the poker's all good and interesting, but it's the offtopic that really makes a blog memorable!
    • maritsula
      maritsula
      Bronze
      good luck mate
    • Enni2S
      Enni2S
      Bronze
      Revision

Thanks everyone for the encouragement :) It is much appreciated.

Today was quite an eventful day. I have been involved in a tug-of-war with William Hill over the money in my account and pokerstrategy's bonus conditions for two days now. Since both me and William Hill turned out to be misinformed, they mistakenly told me that I could withdraw whatever money I had won on top of my bonus money as long as I deposited. So I did, and after clearing up that misunderstanding, they promptly declare that I cannot withdraw anything, including my ten quid, which, on my wage, is like a week's living allowance. I think I have spoken to about a dozen customer service people, and after being put through to their manager, they have decided that I can at least have my deposit back (hooray for the minor victories in life) and that they hope I have a good day. To be fair to them, they do respond quickly.

So now I have to adjust my plan a little. I have been playing 4 tables at a time cash games today, to prepare me for the imminent SnG grind, and I ended up making around 2 dollars in my hour long session, but I was involved in some panic moments, where all four tables were screaming at me at the same time and I had trouble keeping up. I think half of it is the fact that my monitor is so small, that I pretty much have to be pushed up against it to make out anything (especially with Pokertracker running!) and my eyesight was never gonna win a gold medal in the first place, so this might cause some issues over time. The other half of the problem is that I usually play two tables at a time. Two mini-tables on one side of my monitor, and some random EPT event playing on youtube in the other. I have a short attention span, so watching something ensures that I don't play too many hands and end up busting myself out of a game.

Although the irony. As I shoved with AJ on the button in order to do something about my near non-existent chip stack in a random freeroll tournament, I got called by 88, (trips on the turn) and ended up being kicked out of my seat. Meanwhile, I was forced to watch Benny Spindler play the exact same hand in the exact same position with the exact same pocket eight's calling him down, and guess what?

Back to my revise of plan. I now have to do with my much smaller BR of around 30 dollars (with pending bonus money of another 30), so I will have to play my way through the 1$ SnG's first. I know that my bankroll is too small for even that, but I have no choice really, since my bankroll is pretty much too small for anything anyway. I will either go completely bust or make it to 100$ from which I can then try my hand at my original goal again. As for timescale, lets just say that I'm glad that I have a dayjob, even if that job involves asking people whether they want fries with that.

x

Enni
    • Enni2S
      Enni2S
      Bronze
      quick update

Woohoo I cashed out in a tournament. Granted, it was only 1.25, but entry was free and its a start :p I think 37th place might be my highest finish in a freeroll MTT so far. ahh, bring on the big guns. ^^

I'm pretty sure that I played this hand very wrong :p any advice?

PartyGaming - $0+$0|100/200 NL - Holdem - 10 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG+1: 6,580.00
      MP: 4,210.00
      MP+1: 7,330.00
      MP+2: 2,230.00
      LP: 2,190.00
      CO: 9,750.00
      BTN: 2,160.00
      SB: 6,820.00
      Hero (BB): 16,050.00
      UTG: 4,660.00

SB posts SB 100.00, Hero posts BB 200.00

Pre Flop: (300.00) Hero has 9:heart: 9:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 400.00, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB calls 300.00, Hero calls 200.00

Flop: (1200.00, 3 players) T:heart: 7:heart: 9:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets 800.00, UTG+1 calls 800.00, SB calls 800.00

Turn: (3600.00, 3 players) 6:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets 1,800.00, UTG+1 calls 1,800.00, SB calls 1,800.00

River: (9000.00, 3 players) K:heart:
      SB checks, Hero bets 5,800.00, UTG+1 calls 3,580.00 and is all-in, SB calls 3,820.00 and is all-in

Hero shows 9:heart: 9:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Nines) (Pre 40%, Flop 70%, Turn 81%)
      UTG+1 shows A:heart: Q:heart: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 42%, Flop 21%, Turn 12%)
      SB shows 5:heart: J:heart: (Flush, King High) (Pre 18%, Flop 9%, Turn 7%)
      SB wins 480.00
      UTG+1 wins 19,740.00

Everyone's number one burger joint is not giving me any more shifts next week, so it looks like I'll be playing poker for a lot more to come. Maybe I should just man up and deposit one shifts worth of cash on my account. It would mean that I could just start my challenge as usual. But something inside me is hesitant when it comes to depositing much of my own money. It's like a little bit of you is being ripped away and tortured somewhere in a dark tunnel. Or perhaps I have too much of an imagination. Or attachment. I don't know. Lets just call it a day and watch 28 days later ^^ Zombie apocalypses never let me down.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      awesome film! about that hand you could probably bet bigger like closer to the pot. on the flop you almost give him good odds to call on a flush/straight draw so it's best to protect and bet big! other than that i think you played it okay and he probably wasnt folding anyways.

reading this makes me want a cheese burger :megusta:
    • Enni2S
      Enni2S
      Bronze
      double cheeseburger! I still love them :D

Yeah, probs. Hmm, I don't really know with the whole study your own hands thing though, there's so many hands! How do you possibly go through them all? :p

I also didn't manage to finish 28 days later due to 'girly pains'

awesome >.<
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Enni2S
      Yeah, probs. Hmm, I don't really know with the whole study your own hands thing though, there's so many hands! How do you possibly go through them all? :p
      well life is made much easier if you have tracking software like holdem manager or pokertracker - that way you can just select the hand that you played and it will replay it. you can also copy and paste any hand you played and post it in the hand evaluation for feedback! i doubt anybody goes through them all though, best to just pick out certain types of hands that you felt you had trouble with and look over them :)