Various

    • M0na1isa
      M0na1isa
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.02.2012 Posts: 133
      Heya

      There are a few situations I've been having a lot lately. Was wondering what you guys think about them.


      Permission To Donk

      I have bet pre-flop. Caller is behind me. I bet on the flop again. He calls. I bet again on the turn. Villain shoves.
      I have a good hand. Usually top pair top kicker, or a pair and a gutshot draw or something like that.

      I know I'm beat. I'm sure the villain has me. I have about %50 about my stack in the pot. If I fold I'd be crippled badly and fall way behind avg.

      Should I call, maybe he's bluffing? maybe I can hit my outers? Should I try to give the guy a bad beat?

      I know there are a lot of variations. But just consider, he has me on the turn, I still have odds, it's late in MTT so kinda hard to recover and will bleed out soon, but if I get the pot there's a way better chance to move forward.



      3-Way Pot

      There's a caller before me. I make a bet from late position. One of the blinds shoves. Callers calls. I can't make a re-bet. so will just call.

      Villain checks me on the flop. I believe I have him. I bet, he calls. So goes the turn. Then he suddenly shoves on the river.

      There are no over cards, no draws nothing. Thoughts please?

      Then again, I have 50% left on the river.



      Short-Stacked


      I have few blinds left. Antes and blinds are big enough. There's a 3-way or 4-way pot. If I call I would be all-in. I'm holding pure crap. Should I call?

      I can survive another 5-6 hands but after that even if I double up won't be having much chances.




      I know you need to see actual hands, but was wondering if there are some general tips that can help me, as I said, these are really recurring situations for me.

      Cheers
  • 3 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Moderator
      Moderator
      Joined: 22.09.2006 Posts: 8,242
      Originally posted by M0na1isa
      Heya

      There are a few situations I've been having a lot lately. Was wondering what you guys think about them.


      Permission To Donk

      I have bet pre-flop. Caller is behind me. I bet on the flop again. He calls. I bet again on the turn. Villain shoves.
      I have a good hand. Usually top pair top kicker, or a pair and a gutshot draw or something like that.

      I know I'm beat. I'm sure the villain has me. I have about %50 about my stack in the pot. If I fold I'd be crippled badly and fall way behind avg.

      Should I call, maybe he's bluffing? maybe I can hit my outers? Should I try to give the guy a bad beat?

      I know there are a lot of variations. But just consider, he has me on the turn, I still have odds, it's late in MTT so kinda hard to recover and will bleed out soon, but if I get the pot there's a way better chance to move forward.
      You are sure to be behind, but at the same time you think he might be bluffing?
      You should be more careful with your reads ;)

      In the end it's hard to give advice without further informations. There are spots where you can call with bottom pair, no kicker and other spots where you have to fold top two pair. It depends on the exact situation (including opponents stats, your own image, the stacksizes, bubble factors, the other players and their skills etc). Therefore it's not possible to give general advice without further informations.

      Normally you should find an answer if you analyse the spots afterwards. Give your opponent a range including his value range and a few bluffing hands and/or draws. If you get the potodds ((chips to call/chips to call+pot)*100) it might have been a good call (depending on the existing bubble factors it might be a fold though - again it depends on the situation). You may find a good equilation software here.


      Originally posted by M0na1isa
      3-Way Pot

      There's a caller before me. I make a bet from late position. One of the blinds shoves. Callers calls. I can't make a re-bet. so will just call.

      Villain checks me on the flop. I believe I have him. I bet, he calls. So goes the turn. Then he suddenly shoves on the river.

      There are no over cards, no draws nothing. Thoughts please?

      Then again, I have 50% left on the river.
      Smells like a trap. The range of your opponent is very polarized: Nuts (f.e. sets), overpairs or a bluff. The final decision depends on your opponent and the exact situation.


      Originally posted by M0na1isa
      Short-Stacked


      I have few blinds left. Antes and blinds are big enough. There's a 3-way or 4-way pot. If I call I would be all-in. I'm holding pure crap. Should I call?

      I can survive another 5-6 hands but after that even if I double up won't be having much chances.
      If you get the right odds: Yes!
      If not there is no need to call. Shove your hand first in with any two or get it in with some good drawing hand (f.e. 76s). Getting it in 4way with 72o is not the right way to do it ;)


      Originally posted by M0na1isa
      I know you need to see actual hands, but was wondering if there are some general tips that can help me, as I said, these are really recurring situations for me.

      Cheers
      I tried my best - but it's really hard to give general advice. The equilator should help you to analyse these situations as soon as you encountered them. It's one of the most valuable tools to improve your game as a beginner since it gives you a better idea of ranges and your own chances against these. If you have any further questions or need further explanations feel free to ask.

      Regards,
      Asaban
    • M0na1isa
      M0na1isa
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.02.2012 Posts: 133
      Hey mate

      Thanks for the help =)

      You are sure to be behind, but at the same time you think he might be bluffing?
      You should be more careful with your read


      Well what I mean is the bet is really strong. So it's either a bluff the usual top pair top kicker is definitely gonna lose.

      I can cut it down to this. If I fold I would get crippled. Should I be calling with a 9 outer on the turn in this situation?

      It only matters because it is a tournament. If it was a ring game I could fold easily.


      Smells like a trap. The range of your opponent is very polarized: Nuts (f.e. sets), overpairs or a bluff. The final decision depends on your opponent and the exact situation.


      Quite a few times it has happened to me. And every single time the villain had 2 over cards, I had a medium pair. He kept calling and without hitting shoved on the river. Any new comments on that? ;)

      I tried the software it is really helpful. Thanks for the advice mate.

      Cheerio
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Moderator
      Moderator
      Joined: 22.09.2006 Posts: 8,242
      Originally posted by M0na1isa
      Hey mate

      Thanks for the help =)

      You are sure to be behind, but at the same time you think he might be bluffing?
      You should be more careful with your read


      Well what I mean is the bet is really strong. So it's either a bluff the usual top pair top kicker is definitely gonna lose.

      I can cut it down to this. If I fold I would get crippled. Should I be calling with a 9 outer on the turn in this situation?

      It only matters because it is a tournament. If it was a ring game I could fold easily.
      It depends on the odds ;)

      If the pot is at 40BB and you have 20BB left. Your opponent pushes allin and you would have to call 20BB. The total potsize would be 80BB.
      (20/80)*100=25%
      You need 25% equity to make a break even call.
      You can now enter the board structure and a range for your opponent into the equilator and have a look at the results. If you get >25% you should consider a call (if there is a bubble in the near future you might need way more then 25%).
      With 9 clean outs and no possibility of being in front already you should have around ~19,8%. It would be a fold. But since you have to give your opponent some bluffs and maybe a worse kicker for the top pair from time to time you should take this into account and enter a realistic range into the equilator to get a reasonable result. If you need help feel free to post your hands in the hand evaluation forums and ask for some help with the equilation.

      Regarding your second question:
      Overcards are very likely in these spots. Unfortunately Sets and pure bluffs are absolutely reasonable as well.


      Regards,
      Asaban