motivation & self-development

• HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      Welcome

At first please keep in mind that I am no native English speaker, so please don´t be too harsh with me :D

This blog won´t be about Poker in particular, but about some of the most important aspects of it: motivation and self-development.

Since this blog isn´t associated directly with Poker future posts will be posted on an external site. But I will update this thread when a new post is out.

If you notice any mistakes in the blog please let me know in form of a comment or a post in this thread.
      Feedback is highly appreciated as are topic suggestions!

Further information can be found in my first two blog-posts (Introduction, What is motivation? Where does it come from?), next post will be: 5 tips to motivate yourself.

I hope you enjoy reading it!
  • 27 replies
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      New post is out: 5 tips on how to motivate yourself (part 1).

You can find a link to it in my signature or in the first post of this thread ;) .

I hope you enjoy it!
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Ok, first point, NO procrastination. Yeah, I don't feel like reading it, I'm just gonna bookmark it for later.
      I have a problem!

Anyway, you could write about yourself at first, have you ever had procrastination problems, were you lacking motivation, have you been the person that you blog is aimed at and if you were how did you change it?

P.S Your English is fine, you have nothing to worry about (could be your next topic, why would you care if people pointed out your language skill, it feels like you are not comfortable with it so you have to point it out so people wouldn't jump at your throat for some spelling mistakes, this is not reddit you know)
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      Ok, first point, NO procrastination. Yeah, I don't feel like reading it, I'm just gonna bookmark it for later.
      I have a problem!

Anyway, you could write about yourself at first, have you ever had procrastination problems, were you lacking motivation, have you been the person that you blog is aimed at and if you were how did you change it?

P.S Your English is fine, you have nothing to worry about (could be your next topic, why would you care if people pointed out your language skill, it feels like you are not comfortable with it so you have to point it out so people wouldn't jump at your throat for some spelling mistakes, this is not reddit you know)

Yes, I used to be one of the persons the blog aims for and procrastination was a big problem. But I basicly started writing this blog one month ago (all articles for this month are already written) to help myself with my lack of motivation and it worked great.

And why don´t you want to read it now? You got better things to do?
      Or is getting confronted with your problems to much? If so, ask yourself why?
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      New post is out: What to do if nothing helps?

You can find a link to it in my signature or in the first post of this thread.

I hope you enjoy it!

Would be great if you guys could give me more feedback ;)
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      New post is out: 5 tips on how to motivate yourself (part 2)

This time I digged deeper and tryed to show more direct ways to improve.

I hope you enjoy it!

Feedback is highly appreciated!
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Write about organizing, how do you remember to do everything, do you just have a to do list, do you write things down in a calendar, do you prefer the good old paper or software like evernote?
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      Write about organizing, how do you remember to do everything, do you just have a to do list, do you write things down in a calendar, do you prefer the good old paper or software like evernote?
      Ok, I will do that. But it may take till next month, because I already wrote everything for the first month (having examinations at the university right now).

Btw. fixed my signature

thx for the feedback
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      New post is out!
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      New post is out: Creating a time table to avoid stress and discouragement

I hope you enjoy it!

• Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      I really need to create a time table, I end up wasting so much time through out the day.
      How do you keep track of your time table? Do you just have it written on a paper and you just look at it through out the day to remember the times or do you have some kind of reminders set on your phone or PC? I think I'm gonna try google calendar with Thunderbird to get notifications as I easily get distracted and lose sense of time.
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      I really need to create a time table, I end up wasting so much time through out the day.
      How do you keep track of your time table? Do you just have it written on a paper and you just look at it through out the day to remember the times or do you have some kind of reminders set on your phone or PC? I think I'm gonna try google calendar with Thunderbird to get notifications as I easily get distracted and lose sense of time.
      Sounds like a good idea! Personaly I have only written it down, after 1 to 2 weeks there will be no reminders needed.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogging section!

Blogs here don't have to be about poker content really, you should see some of the bigger ones, there's some poker being discussed, but it's far from the majority.

Regards,
      Richard
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      New post is out: 5 tips to boost your intelligence

My first post on self development!

I hope you enjoy it!

• fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Hi again.

Please either begin to make proper blog posts here, or stick to blogging only on your external blog and not just update here that you've made a new post elsewhere.

That is not the purpose of our blogging section.

While you are free to blog about absolutely anything you want, what you are doing now isn't going to work and we would have to just close it down.

Regards,
      Richard
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Hi again.

Please either begin to make proper blog posts here, or stick to blogging only on your external blog and not just update here that you've made a new post elsewhere.

That is not the purpose of our blogging section.

While you are free to blog about absolutely anything you want, what you are doing now isn't going to work and we would have to just close it down.

Regards,
      Richard
      And with what reason? copy&pasting it in here wouldn´t help anybody :rolleyes:

Furthermore ask korn if he wants motivated players who rake in a lot of money for him or lazy ones not making him money, I think he will give you the right anwser ;) (just think about this and ask korn!)

Also on the german forums there hasn´t been a problem yet.

regards
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      5 tips to boost your intelligence

Here I present you my first post on self development I hope you enjoy it! Some may ask if it is even possible to increase someone’s intelligence, if you are one of them I recommend to take a look at the Jaeggi study (which proves it).

1. Read

Reading will not only stimulate your brain and help you gather some new knowledge it will also improve your thinking and writing abilities. Furthermore studies have shown that there is a direct correlation between your intelligence, success and reading. The people who read a lot are usually more intelligent and have therefore a greater success in their life!

2. Proper nutrition (going to write more on this in the future)

Here are some foods that will increase your brain power:

1. Omega 3 oils (like in salmon and Linseed oils)

They play a huge part in neuron activity and also reduce the risk of a heart disease.

2. Bananas

They are enabling the production of neurotransmitters like Serotonin and GABA (Gamma-amino butyric acid).

3. Cocoa (my favorite :) )

Not only has it a lot of magnesium, it is also accounted for anti-stress and anti-depressant effects.
      Furthermore it includes free radicals who attribute to brain activity (also they may prevent cancer, but this hasn´t been proven yet)

3. Sleep enough

I know I have wrote about this before but this point can´t be overstated!
      To quote myself:

"Only a few things have a more devastating effect on the human body then sleep deprivation. This is one of the reasons why nearly nothing feels worse than the sound of the clock in the morning. Sleep deprivation for example can lower your IQ up to 15%. Furthermore your glucose metabolism is lowered by as much as 40% and Human Growth Hormone production is lowered, too. It will also make you lethargic. To sum it up not sleeping enough will make you dumb and fat!So sleeping enough is a crucial aspect of motivation! Usually sleeping 8-9 hours a day is considered optimal."
      As you can see sleep is of utmost importance!

4. Challenge your brain

You should try and challenge your brain at least once a day, for example you could learn a poem, do some math or just read a book. Also there is software available to increase your brain performance, which you could use. My personal favorite stays reading since you are not only increasing your brains performance but you may also acquire new knowledge and information.

5. Discuss

If you do it on the internet, with strangers, your family or friends doesn´t matter. Discussing will keep you mind (and your tongue) sharp like a razor blade. It is highly recommended not to always take the position you favor, because taking a look at problems or arguments from a different point of view will help you to know arguments against your position in future discussions in advance, that will make it very difficult to argue against your position.
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      I think it looks just fine :)

I also think that you should at least respect our forum rules and take it as a positive initiative so that other players could interact with you here rather than direct them to an external website and don't interact at all. I believe motivation doesn't work this way, what would you say?
    • HeadsUp88
      HeadsUp88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IngridN
      I think it looks just fine :)

I also think that you should at least respect our forum rules and take it as a positive initiative so that other players could interact with you here rather than direct them to an external website and don't interact at all. I believe motivation doesn't work this way, what would you say?
      plz reread my post on this topic and take it in consideration....
      instead of just copying something i wrote...

also i interact with people who post in this thread, but copy&pasting is pointless.

I actually don´t know what you mean with your last sentence... the blog is about self-development, too.

Furthermore i am respecting the forum rules as long as i am not pointing people to another poker affiliate site or something like that... have you asked korn already?
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      No, I won't be disturbing our CEO because I believe this is a simple misunderstanding here. Also, I think he trusts in my decision making which is why he gave me this job. :)

I'm not asking you to copy paste your external blog entries but to blog here properly like other users. The point is with the blogs section to stay within the community and not directing users to an external site.

The problem is that I don't see any comment in your external blog nor in this blog. Don't you think it would encourage users to read your blog entries if you were write the actual content here and start discussions? I fail to see how this motivates anyone because I don't see any activity going on.

Do you have a blog in the German community as well?

Again, we're here to get a positive initiative and I hope you understand how a forum should work, which is to interact/help in this community and not outside of it.

Ingrid