This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] flopping set oop without initiative

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $31.69
      CO:
      $45.05

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.106 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2:diamond: , 2:club:
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.60) A:heart: , J:diamond: , 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, CO calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.60) T:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.56, Hero raises to $6.00, CO folds.

Final Pot: $12.16

I'm never sure what to do in this situation. Entertaining a lot of thoughts to do with protecting my hand against a flush draw while still getting the maximum amount of value possible out of this hand.In hindsight i realise that maybe i should have check/called or check/raised this flop because it is a good flop to contibet for my opponent.i opted to lead the flop then check/raise the turn. Would love some help on this one
  • 6 replies
    • Vice1
      Vice1
      Bronze
      There are quite some draws possible on the flop. Also villain could have two pair or TPTK. So raising on the flop is a good play I think. You will gain initiative of the hand and make it more expensive for draws.

Also because you are OOP choose for the c/r option quicker. It doesn't give villain the chance to check behind on the turn.
    • prugo
      prugo
      Bronze
      If you're going to donk, just 3-barrel-donk. Donking and check-raising looks insanely strong for anything worse than your hand to call you.

Against a thinking opponent I don't agree in that it's a good flop to c/r on because you wouldn't really be raising a FD or a GS on a flop that hits so good a PFR range. Raising the turn definitely isolates you against better when QK completes.

Donk, donk, donk, or c/c three times or even c/c, c/c and crai otr to represent a missed FD are better imo.
    • Vice1
      Vice1
      Bronze
      I think donk donk donk or donk donk c/r is an interesting option against many thinking opponents. Only I'm wondering with what kind of hands would you balance this?
    • prugo
      prugo
      Bronze
      No real need to balance much this spot on NL25. Hopefully OP will move on stakes soon :D
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      draws come to mind. :f_biggrin:

against more unsuspecting opponents we may even vary the sizing, they're too busy multitabling/will only consider donk% anyway. :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello legand73,

Preflop: Do you think you can even set-mine vs CO range?

As played
      Postflop: Don't like the donk & Check/Raise line at all. Rather Check/Raise the flop while we have a lot of draws in our Check/Raising range. Or if you you decide to donk the flop then do it bigger and continue betting on the turn yourself.

Best Regards.