Medium pairs at the end

• M0na1isa
      Deep in the bubble, + - 20% of avg. sack. Medium pairs.

If there are any articles regarding this matter link please.

Not talking about the situations which put you all-in. I mean when you got someone else covered, you're holding a medium pair, you limped/bet/waiting for action doesn't matter, someone with less chips shove.

You have don't a lot of chips, but you have enough so you won't be bleeding out soon.

1. Do you even play them at early positions? If so, limp or open?
      2. With what % of your stack you would call a shove?
      3. If a shorter stack bets (someone with 40%-60%), you would put him all-in or see the flop first?
      4. Do you open at MP ?
      5. Should just go for 1-20 and wait for a set against equal/higher stacks for a chance to double, or should completely avoid and save chips? Rather hard to get a 1-20 that late in a tournament facing any raise.
  • 3 replies
    • Asaban
      Hi monalisa and welcome back :)

1. Yes - I play them! Since I never open limp I will open raise them as long as my stack is >30BB.

2. The odds are important. I try to give my opponent a range. Afterwards I look at the amount that I have to call as well as the potsize. Add the amount you have to call to the potsize. Now you can do the maths:
      (amount you have to call/(amount you have to call+existing pot))*100
      The result indicates the equity you will need to make a break even call chip-wise. If you get more equity against his range you should call in most cases. You can evaluate the equity of your hand against his range by using the equilab. You might need a few percentages more for ICM reasons - but the result should at least give you a good indication if a call is possible. You will learn to give your opponents appropriate ranges after some practise.

3. Depends on his stacksize. If he is short I will most likely put him allin.

4. See 1.

5. As soon as both of you have 20 times the amount that you would have to call left in your stack you should always call to see a flop. You have the odds :)

• M0na1isa
      hey asaban :)

thanks for your welcome and advice. always the best stuff <3
    • amanofhisword

lets say you have 55 and you are utg+1 and lets say...
      1. you limp...

he raises, if you have to make a call and you think he is gonna be his stack on a lot of boards then it's probably worth making the call if you hit your set.

2. you raise and get shoved on.

depends on much you have to call but in most cases it's an easy fold.

Since your stack is somewhat healthy, I wouldn't open limp or open raise.
      If there is a limper before you then it is definitely worth limping behind and see how the action unfolds IMO.

good luck at the tables