Back to Poker , Need some advice

• igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I'm back to Poker.
      I wasn't anything good at it , but i decided to start reading all the strategies once again to improve my game.

can you please give me advice, which strategy to play, as i will be strictly following them and which poker room suits best for me.

My starting bankroll will be something between 30 to 50 USD.

Thanks for advice and wish you constant win
  • 23 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey igika07,

Welcome back to the Poker world :)

Advice on which strategy to play? I'll take it that you mean Gametype such as Cash, MTT or SnG's ? This is completely your choice, each of them are have their Positive and Negatives.
      For your bankroll I don't think MTT would be a good choice as if you're a learning you may go several MTT's without any results and it will drop your confidence a little, so this leaves us with SnG's. There is nothing between these two so it completely up to you, we have plenty of Material on all gametypes so which path you choose doesn't matter.

Give us a shout when you choose what you wish to play and we'll do out best to point you in the right direction with your choice!
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Thanks.

to be honest i was talking about cash games. I think starting with MTT or SNG is not the best idea for me right now.

I think i will start with cash games.

What's the best way to start:
      Fixed, Pot or No Limit?

And which poker room is the best for beggingers?

Thank you very much
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hello there igika07 and welcome back!

Ok, so to try to help you, you can click on this link and ask the experts where they might think you should play. Try it, see if it helps:

Choosing the right Poker Room for you!

Best regards,

Mal.
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Thanks

i will ask them right now
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey again :)

So, cash it is! Fixed, Pot or No Limit, I'd personally say NL, only because we have a NL Beginners Course here which would be perfect for you.

Here is quick summary of our NL Beginners course for you !
      The course will help you grasp the basics on Poker using the BSS(Big Stack Strategy) where you join the table with 100Big Blinds.
      You will start of by creating your own "Locker Room" thread where you introduce yourself to the School & Coach, this is also used to post your future homework tasks into, for marking.
      You can also use the Locker Room thread for any questions you wish to ask the schools Coach, such as:
      :diamond: 3 Players have limped/called, I have 6 :heart: 7 :heart: , what should I do and why?
      :diamond: How can I avoid Tilting so much?
      :diamond: How do you define a "Loose" Player
      Ask absolutely anything! There is no such thing as a stupid question :)

Once you have your Locker Room thread created, you can begin the learning! We have 8 Lessons for you to study, along with a Homework task with each. You will start out learning "An Introduction to Texas Holdem" & "Your Poker Mindset", you'll then move on to various subjects as you progress through the course such as "Postflop Play" and "Odds".
      There is no rush to complete each lesson, you can take as long as you wish, or even as fast as you like! :]

The course will point you in the right direction, aiming you towards the most appropriate Articles & Videos suitable for a Beginner, you'll also be able to attend our Live Coaching Sessions, in this you'll be able to watch the Coach Play Micro Limits in Real Time, see how he plays, ask him why he plays specific hands in different ways.

If you have any questions, or anything your unsure about, feel free to ask us! :)
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      The NL Course will be great i'm sure, but i really don't own the money to play BSS i think.

I am going to start with 50 USD and it seems like it's not enough
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there again igika07,

Quote: '...and it seems like it's not enough.' Unquote.

No no no non no no! Naughty naughty naughty!

There are lots of people here who started with the $50 and look where they are now!?

I have never made a deposit and I've done ok so far.

However, MattDenness is totally correct, the beginners course is the nuts, believe me, I have done it. I really do wish it was around when I started, I would be crushing huge stakes by now. If in any doubt whatsoever about your knowledgbe or ability, even slight, join it, you will not regret it! More importantly, neither will your $50!
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      gadget51

Thank you dude.

i registered to the course, let's see what can i get.

i am playing second free 100$ tourney on partypoker. Managed to win 0.14 USd in the first one.

I hope the begginer course will help me a lot and hel me create a good bankroll management and so on.

cheers,
      igika07
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Guys, when do i get up from the table?

when i lose X numbers of BB, or win X numbers of BB.

What do you say?
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by igika07

What do you say?
      Hey igika07,

Another user posted a very similar thread just a few days ago, there are alot of useful posts in the that will help you also, I'd advise you take a quick read :)

When to stop
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MattDenness

What do you say?
      Hey igika07,

Another user posted a very similar thread just a few days ago, there are alot of useful posts in the that will help you also, I'd advise you take a quick read :)

When to stop

thanks Matt,

It was really helpfull. So now i know that i have to play every hand like a single hand. So if i win i stay , and if i notice that i'm starting to do silly bets, i better get up.

Thanks
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey igika07

It's really good to see that you are serious this time about improving your game and it looks like you really are ready to work hard and improve yourself :)

Have you picked a room yet?

As long as you keep on working to improve all the time we should see you building your bankroll before you know it. I have a couple of interesting threads for you that that are just as useful as the strategy articles and videos here:

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++ - "The mastermind behind the book "The Mental Game of Poker" will be answering questions on all things concerning the poker mindset and anything else that you can throw at him. Author of the book, Barry Carter will also be available to answer questions about how he found working with Jared." One of the worlds leading experts answering all your mental game questions. Doesn't get much better than this :)

The quick guide to skyrocketing your (poker) productivity - Here is a quote from the opening post of this amazing thread "This guide is for people, who are sick of being average. It is for people who want to improve and be better than others by gaining an edge. It is for people who are willing to take immediate action in order to get results. It is for people who seek to learn and improve in their lives. It is for people who want to get more done, stop wasting time on facebook and surfing the net, improve their poker game and have more time to spend with friends and family and doing the things they love." There's not much i can say about this thread except it is a MUST read. If you ever wanted to improve anything in your life not just poker, then this thread is a pretty good starting point.

Good luck with your poker keep us updated on how its going

Regards
      Carl
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Hey igika07

It's really good to see that you are serious this time about improving your game and it looks like you really are ready to work hard and improve yourself :)

Have you picked a room yet?

As long as you keep on working to improve all the time we should see you building your bankroll before you know it. I have a couple of interesting threads for you that that are just as useful as the strategy articles and videos here:

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++ - "The mastermind behind the book "The Mental Game of Poker" will be answering questions on all things concerning the poker mindset and anything else that you can throw at him. Author of the book, Barry Carter will also be available to answer questions about how he found working with Jared." One of the worlds leading experts answering all your mental game questions. Doesn't get much better than this :)

The quick guide to skyrocketing your (poker) productivity - Here is a quote from the opening post of this amazing thread "This guide is for people, who are sick of being average. It is for people who want to improve and be better than others by gaining an edge. It is for people who are willing to take immediate action in order to get results. It is for people who seek to learn and improve in their lives. It is for people who want to get more done, stop wasting time on facebook and surfing the net, improve their poker game and have more time to spend with friends and family and doing the things they love." There's not much i can say about this thread except it is a MUST read. If you ever wanted to improve anything in your life not just poker, then this thread is a pretty good starting point.

Good luck with your poker keep us updated on how its going

Regards
      Carl
      Hello ExternalUseOnly,

The first link you gave me, is new for me
      About the second link, i am already trying to follow some of his advices, as it;s really impossible to follow it all together. So i'm creating a habit for myself for some stuff.

About the poker room, i haven't chosen yet. I used to play on PartyPoker and to be honest i seem to be comfortable there.

I really don't know which room to choose.

What do you think for the best poker room to start?
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Can anyone kindly link me the Elephant download link?

I can't find it anymore :-s
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey again igika,

Unfortunately PokerStrategy.com's Elephant was discontinued earlier this year. We want our members to be the best equipped they can be to go out and crush those tables and we came to the tough decision that we could no longer keep up with the big boys in the same field such as Holdem Manager.

They offer a free trial for a month before you commit yourself to buying anything, here is a link that gives you more information on Holdem Manager and why it is great for you and your game :)

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/12/

Hope this helps you out today
      Carl
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Hey again igika,

Unfortunately PokerStrategy.com's Elephant was discontinued earlier this year. We want our members to be the best equipped they can be to go out and crush those tables and we came to the tough decision that we could no longer keep up with the big boys in the same field such as Holdem Manager.

They offer a free trial for a month before you commit yourself to buying anything, here is a link that gives you more information on Holdem Manager and why it is great for you and your game :)

Carl
      Yes, HM2 is great, i saw it, but i can't really afford that. And i don't want to start playing without any statistics gathering software, where i can find my mistakes and my advantages.
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Hey again igika,

Carl
      Yes, HM2 is great, i saw it, but i can't really afford that. And i don't want to start playing without any statistics gathering software, where i can find my mistakes and my advantages.

try poker tracker 4, it's free while on beta
    • William340
      William340
      Bronze
      The NL Course will be great i'm sure, but i really don't own the money to play BSS i think.

you can play BSS w/ a small starking bankroll, providing you play at the micro-stakes.
      "big stack" doesn't mean "big money", it means playing with 100BB for the game you are in.

so, if you play .01/.02 NL on Stars, a $2 stack is a "big stack".
      if you are playing .02/.04 on Merge, $4 is a big stack.

$50 is 25 buy-ins for "big stack" play at .01/.02 on Stars (or anywhere else that has .01/.02)

as far as choosing "the best" poker room, it depends what you mean by "best" ?
      best software, easiest deposit/withdrawal, best bonus, biggest player pool, most fish ?

if it's the fish you are looking for, don't worry. there are always plenty at the microstakes.
      the important thing is that you read the strategy articles here (starting hand chart!!) so that YOU are not one of the fish.
      start off on a nice tight solid foundation and build from there.
      until you KNOW the basics (by heart, every time, without hesitation) you cannot profitably deviate from the basic strategy.

start off playing solid hands, in position for value and let the fish give you their money.
      :s_biggrin:
    • igika07
      igika07
      Bronze
      Originally posted by William340

you can play BSS w/ a small starking bankroll, providing you play at the micro-stakes.
      "big stack" doesn't mean "big money", it means playing with 100BB for the game you are in.

so, if you play .01/.02 NL on Stars, a $2 stack is a "big stack".
      if you are playing .02/.04 on Merge, $4 is a big stack.

$50 is 25 buy-ins for "big stack" play at .01/.02 on Stars (or anywhere else that has .01/.02)

as far as choosing "the best" poker room, it depends what you mean by "best" ?
      best software, easiest deposit/withdrawal, best bonus, biggest player pool, most fish ?

if it's the fish you are looking for, don't worry. there are always plenty at the microstakes.
      the important thing is that you read the strategy articles here (starting hand chart!!) so that YOU are not one of the fish.
      start off on a nice tight solid foundation and build from there.
      until you KNOW the basics (by heart, every time, without hesitation) you cannot profitably deviate from the basic strategy.

start off playing solid hands, in position for value and let the fish give you their money.
      :s_biggrin:

Hey William340,

You are so great, thank you very much.

And about a poker room, i mean the best:

- Easy Withdrawal (hope i will be able to do that :) )
      - Fishes (Yeah, i seem to be one of them right now , but i hope i will learn quite fast)

For Example, PartyPoker seems to be comfortable for me.
      I haven't tried Pokerstars and i'm not sure if it's a good place to start. How do you think?