Im losing money!

• Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      Im losing in cash game and I want to know why.

At 0.1/0.2 im down reason being I have no patience with this limt and I try to bluff to much and play to many hands, at least in my opinion, maybe you see something different from my stats.

0.1/0.2 stats

Total Hands Net won bb/100 vpip pfr 3bet wtsd% w$sd% agg agg%

2255 -9.71 -21.53 43.5 19.2 8.6 33.8 41.6 1.77 32.2

At 0.2/0.5 I was up over $60 and over the past few weeks or so ive hit a big downswing

0.2/0.5 stats

16128 -101.09 -12.54 34 16.2 6 33.8 42.9 1.56 29.4

Can anybody give me advice on want i need to do as you can clearly see i need some help, i know I let tilt get the better of me at times but im sure I have a lot of leaks and I want to figure them out before I hit the table again and I also plan on doing a lot of studying of the pokerstrategy articles as well

so can anyone help?
  • 15 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Hi Maloco87

i doubt anyone can offer any constructive criticism for you since your sample sizes are simply too small. you should aim to have at least 30k hands if you want to start evaluating. with that said, you look too loose preflop, too passive postflop and you aren't folding enough. but even saying that is pushing it really. just try to keep playing and get some more volume.

it's good to see you are interested in improving your game so check out the videos and strategy articles, but i also recommend the NL Beginner's course.

good luck!
      Lewis.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Your mind set sounds pretty weak which suggests you shouldn't be playing NL20 or NL50 any way. Start at the bottom with NL2 and work your way up. When you can beat softer games you'll be able to move up anyway, also mistakes and tilt will be less expensive.

Other that whats been said you really haven't produced enough info for anyone to give you much help. Get some tracking software and post some hands in the forum or something would be my added advice.
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply I thought the sample size would be too small but i would try anyway

i can't imagine ill ever play 30k hands at 0.1/0.2 as it really does my head in I think if i turn that minus figure into a positive one i would be happy to just focus on 0.2/0.5 untill i was ready to move up to 0.5/010 and so on

Maybe i should just study the articles and keep playing for now, while after i get all this uni work done as I have feel behind due to personal stuff
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      Im not playing NL20 or 50 and I use HM2

I am fairly good with my BRM as well
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Maloco87
      Im not playing NL20 or 50 and I use HM2

I am fairly good with my BRM as well
      Sorry my mistake. Although without been fussy it should be written 0.01/0.02 & 0.02/0.05 not 0.1/0.2 & 0.2/0.5.

Well how about posting a screen shot of your positional stats etc? More people might be able to help you then :)

Be sure not to play to loose at these limits, something that's easy to do if impatience gets the better of you. You wanna play tight and take them to value town.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Yeah I'm playing NL2 and after a downswing of bad beats, using a weird strategy between MSS/SSS and just generally not playing very well, I changed to BSS and play very ABC it is essentially formulaic, and you bluff almost never (only cbets when the flop calls for it) and never bluff for big pots. There are enough people who are willing to pay you off with a pair and mid kicker, or less that you just bet your TPTK and let it go to a reraise, and I've found that for NL2 being prepared to stack off with overpair or better is generally good (of course there are some flops where this is just not the case and you have to use judgement).

Just play your hands only for value, because of munters like the one below, you will get value a great amount of the time (I think I played this hand terrible, but my gut feeling was he had something like QT, was wrong but in a good way):

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $2.08
      SB: $1.78
      BB: $8.06
      Hero (UTG): $2.71
      UTG+1: $1.93
      MP: $2.33
      MP+1: $1.05
      LP: $1.22
      CO: $2.66

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has K:heart: K:spade:

Hero raises to $0.08, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $0.08, fold, SB calls $0.07, BB calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.32, 4 players) 5:spade: 9:diamond: Q:spade:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $0.18, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.68, 2 players) 7:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.36, Hero calls $0.36

River: ($1.40, 2 players) A:heart:
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

CO shows 3:diamond: 2:diamond: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 19%, Flop 9%, Turn 0%)
      Hero shows K:heart: K:spade: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 81%, Flop 91%, Turn 100%)
      Hero wins $2.70
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      move up to where they respect your raises
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      looks like a huge gap between vpip and pfr, even for your sample. :f_biggrin: idk, calling too many speculative hands in bad spots?
      the low aggression may be a consequence of these rather passive preflop tendencies.
    • fastliketiger
      fastliketiger
      Bronze
      I am going to be honest and tell you not to attempt to get a significant sample size with your current game as you will just be igniting money.

The biggest leak you need to fix that I can almost guarantee you have is to stop cold calling raises (especially out of position) with garbage. In a shorthanded micro stakes game considering your playing with statistics you want to use them to your advantage. You should never be super psyched to call AJo oop vs a 16/11/3 nit grinder and you would be happy to 3bet for value the same hand against a fishy 50+ VPIP player.

There are no magic words to start winning unfortunately but the truth and simple fact is players who are losing at micro stakes call too much. Doesn't matter if its pre, turn or river your aim is to make the least mistakes as you learn the game and folding in marginal spots is NEVER going to be a mistake.

The more tables your playing the less marginal spots you want to be in really; if your multitabling then cold calling oop with junk is an insane leak that adds up. Even if you cut some of these cold calling hands and start 3betting the rest it would probably show more profit.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza

Just play your hands only for value, because of munters like the one below, you will get value a great amount of the time (I think I played this hand terrible, but my gut feeling was he had something like QT, was wrong but in a good way):

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

BTN: $2.08
      SB: $1.78
      BB: $8.06
      Hero (UTG): $2.71
      UTG+1: $1.93
      MP: $2.33
      MP+1: $1.05
      LP: $1.22
      CO: $2.66

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has K:heart: K:spade:

Hero raises to $0.08, fold, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $0.08, fold, SB calls $0.07, BB calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.32, 4 players) 5:spade: 9:diamond: Q:spade:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $0.18, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.68, 2 players) 7:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.36, Hero calls $0.36

River: ($1.40, 2 players) A:heart:
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

CO shows 3:diamond: 2:diamond: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 19%, Flop 9%, Turn 0%)
      Hero shows K:heart: K:spade: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 81%, Flop 91%, Turn 100%)
      Hero wins $2.70
      Why only check call flop and turn? You need to do two things:

1) Bet for value
      2) Protect your hand

So really you should be betting out yourself. The way you played it though Check raising is way better then check calling. I mean though if you think he has some kind of queen there really isn't much reasson not to bet. Do you not agree it better for you to bet then to have him raise you? This allows you to get another raise in = more value, you don't get this with a check call & with a check raise you lose 1 potential raise of value.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyjm
      Hero wins $2.70
      Why only check call flop and turn? You need to do two things:

1) Bet for value
      2) Protect your hand

So really you should be betting out yourself. The way you played it though Check raising is way better then check calling. I mean though if you think he has some kind of queen there really isn't much reasson not to bet. Do you not agree it better for you to bet then to have him raise you? This allows you to get another raise in = more value, you don't get this with a check call & with a check raise you lose 1 potential raise of value.[/quote]No, I thought he had medium to weak queen or air so check raise is too strong and will only scare him away (which it would have of course done with 32s) so I figure check-call is the best way to get value with Qx. He's not gonna call a reraise with a weak queen, but he is gonna put in more money if he thinks I'm on a draw and needs to protect his hand. I was planning to check-raise the river, but the Ace made that a bad idea.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      No, I thought he had medium to weak queen or air so check raise is too strong and will only scare him away (which it would have of course done with 32s) so I figure check-call is the best way to get value with Qx. He's not gonna call a reraise with a weak queen, but he is gonna put in more money if he thinks I'm on a draw and needs to protect his hand. I was planning to check-raise the river, but the Ace made that a bad idea.
      Let them raise, let them bet the flop, let 'em bet the turn, and then let them bet the river then FINALLY, POP 'EM ON THE RIVER!
    • ferdy81
      ferdy81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zobupasts
      Let them raise, let them bet the flop, let 'em bet the turn, and then let them bet the river then FINALLY, POP 'EM ON THE RIVER!
      It just depends how you see your opponent. If he is supper aggressive, yes do just that (although, I wouldn't want to do it here, since A or another spade on a board will give me some problems). Pick up a flop that allows you that kind of play.
    • yankomania
      yankomania
      Bronze
      Your VPIP, PFR, 3BET, WTSD are WAAAAY TOO HIGH for full-ring :f_biggrin:

You need to play more nitty, try maybe to play more tables (that maybe will help with patience) :f_biggrin:

Best of luck at the tables,

yankomania :f_biggrin:
    • londonjazz
      londonjazz
      Global
      may be try to play only in evening hours. more fish this time