What's Your Strategy for Note Taking?

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

What's your optimal strategy for note taking?

For me if I'm not in the hand, I'll use the replay editor and see what type of bets the person made on the flop, turn and river. I'll add if they bet 1/3, 1/4, or 1/2 the pot and if they do donk bets if overcards are on the board.

I'll add things like if they bet 2nd pairs or do they play their draws aggressively or passively? and if they're loose, passive or a tight player based on my observation.

I also use hold em manager too and that helps a lot in determining what type of player I am up against.

The thing is, this method requires a lot of typing for me and I know later on in the future I won't have enough time to observe everything when I'm multi-tabling.

What recommendations/tips are you willing to share to make my note taking more effective?

Thanks!

MB
  • 9 replies
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      I use colour coding - I have around 20 different pre-set colour codes supplied with the explanatory information. If the specific player warrants more in-depth notes, then I can always add it later, if I do not have the time to do it while playing him.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I thought that there was a bronze article on note taking, but the only one I can find is silver. http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1587/1/

Depending on the room, I take notes in either HM or in the room's own note tool.

I also keep a pad of paper beside me to jot down things.

Finally, if things are really hectic, I use HM's hand viewer to mark the hand for review, then make more detailed notes during the review.

Like Styr, I also use colour codes.
      The three stop-light colours mean the same thing:
      Stop, caution, go for red, yellow green.
      Purple means I have a specific steal note,
      Blue means a general zoom note
      Orange is a 5-CD note.

The big problem for me is that my colour scheme it totally different from what it was a year ago :(
      And I'll probably change it again.

--VS
    • Solidius
      Solidius
      Bronze
      Well, when a hands ends and i feel that i should right something about my villain (or the players that played the hand) i hit the replay button and take my notes. I take as many notes as i can. I take notes on bet sizing combined with hand strenght combined with the street that they made the bet. Also on their preflop calling/3bing range and from what position they took that action. Generally, if i find something odd i write it down so that i can have an edge against them next time.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Styr
      I use colour coding - I have around 20 different pre-set colour codes supplied with the explanatory information. If the specific player warrants more in-depth notes, then I can always add it later, if I do not have the time to do it while playing him.
      That's a lot of colors! I never would have thought that someone is using that many.
    • sileekhunt
      sileekhunt
      Bronze
      Yeh its dependant on room.

But Say on stars I will immediately colour-code people based on my first perceptions of them so that I can see them in the lobby - obv table selection is important. These initial assumptions can change.

I also have Hold em manager auto-rate them with my colours....at least I did in version 1, I think i can sort it in v2, havn't done yet.

Yellow=fish
      Light blue=nit/tight reg
      dark blue=reg
      orange=short stack reg

I also mark any hand in hold em manager thats got my attention, or whether one of my own hands/spots needs pokerstoving.

tbh iv got a bit lazy with all this as I feel my spots are quite standard in the main.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zobupasts
      That's a lot of colors! I never would have thought that someone is using that many.
      Needs to be done. :)

For example:
      Dark green 1 - limps monsters.
      Dark green 2 - limps SB, calls ALL IN.
      Blue - limp folds.
      Red - Thief, capable with stealing any two cards.
      Black - Early riser thief: capable with stealing with almost any two cards from EP (with enough Big Blinds left)
      Purple - Vulgaris stupidus - limps crap, calls ALL IN.
      Purple 2 - Steals with any two cards, calls ALL IN.
      Yellow - Generic notes.

There are many more, but I am not going to write down everything here. :)

Some of those stats I can see fairly easily from HEM display. But in reality, they complement each other. And any notes I make specify the villains behaviour even further.
    • prugo
      prugo
      Bronze
      My notation is the following:

[Name of the street (PF, F, T, R)]: [Action] in [Board], [Action in following streets] with [Hand (if we got to showdown)]

Other times I use this other one (positionwise notation):

[Villain's positon]vs[My position (or other player's)]: [Action]...

Examples:

SBvsBU: 3bet Ax, c/c Axx, c/f turn blank;

or

F: donk/fold 1/2 (1/2 pot, that is) Kxx board;

xx means rags and rainbow. If there's a FD, would use xxss.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      For example:
      Blue - limp folds.
      Black - Early riser thief: capable with stealing with almost any two cards from EP (with enough Big Blinds left)
      Yellow - Generic notes.
      How do you choose which color to assign? I mean one player could have more tendencies, which one do you assign then? Is it yellow for generic notes?
      I have 7 colors they are basically nit, TAG, loose aggressive, loose passive and so on to describe the player overall.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Krishjanis
      For example:
      Blue - limp folds.
      Yellow - Generic notes.
      How do you choose which color to assign? I mean one player could have more tendencies, which one do you assign then? Is it yellow for generic notes?
      I have 7 colors they are basically nit, TAG, loose aggressive, loose passive and so on to describe the player overall.
      Yes, that can be a problem. But it is something I specify in the notes. If, for example a player is limping with aces, and doing the same in the small blind (calling a push), then I will make a note of that and colour him with dark green 2. i.e, that is a player against whom I must play more cautiously. Once I get a better sample size I can, and will if needs be, change the colouring.