Aatjeeee

• Aatjeeee
      Aatjeeee
      Bronze
      Hi coaches and other members,

On my search for study materials I read about this course and decided to give it a shot. I think this is a good way to start with poker and hopefully helps me to become a good player.

As opening somethings about myself:

I’m Aatjeeee (not my real name :D ) and living in the Netherlands. I just start playing poker a couple of days ago when I registered to PokerStrategy. I used to play with playmoney but that’s not poker. It’s more donking the chips in and reset your stack if you lose.

When I discovered PokerStrategy I tought “wow, just get money if I register and get some good studymaterials to succeed.” So I registered, made the quiz and got my starting capital on William Hill. Read some documents, played a couple of hunderd hands and last weekend I got my 2nd and 3th part of the starting capital.

In the beginning I want to make one lesson a week. If things become difficult I need some more time between the lessons. It’s also summer (a bad one here, much rain) thus maybe I can’t make the volume I want to make if the weather improves.

Enough for the fist post. Expect the first homework later on this day!!!
  • 2 replies
    • Aatjeeee
      Aatjeeee
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

I don’t have a good motivation. Perhaps I play only for fun? Yeah making money but that’s not the biggest motivation for me. I like to play cardgames and I often win. Played poker with play chips online and live. But as mentioned above this is not the real thing. I played 2 cardgames “toepen” and “rikken” (sorry I know only the Dutch names) for some small cashamounts. I love the thrill if you actually play for something, cash!!! I really like the feeling that you can win (or lose) a lot of money with one hand. That’s the fun part for me. Maybe if I’m in a downswing it’s not funny anymore but I will study hard so I don’t get in a downswing. :D (yes I know it’s a part of poker.)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Because I’m new in poker I don’t know my weaknesses. If I look to me as a person I can say that I’m a relaxed person that always looks things from the bright site of life. Maybe this will prevent me to go on tilt. One weakness could be that I switch to early from game to game as things don’t go as they should must (FR<->SH<->SnG) but to avoid this I prommised to myself to play at least 20k hands on FR. Another weak point is that I often know that I’m beat but don’t want to believe it. For example JJ on a AK2 board with a villain that bets into me. I often call this and see what I allready know……I’m beat. Also in the same context I overplay my hand sometimes.
      Hmmm seems I got more weaknesses than I thought. Hope these things improve as I follow this course!!!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

TAG means that you pick good starting hands preflop and play them aggresively post-flop. Keeping presure on the other players that they make mistakes. If another player makes a mistake this makes money for me. And I must know when I must fold!!! Using agression on the wright time is essential.

Hope the fist homework is good. I will go to lesson 2!!!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Hehe, I remember my first time when I discovered PokerStrategy, I was surprised that some site gives out $50 for free. :D Was even kinda unsure either to join with it or not but decided to for. Now I am even a Coach on PokerStragey which feels great and poker adds nice extra income into my life which has allowed to buy me a lot of nice things. :)

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.