[NL2-NL10] Did I Play This Hand Right?

• RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Hi All,
      I"m still don't know if I merely suck or am just the unluckiest Knobend about.... either way I think I played this hand ok, but as usual things didn't go my way..... What are you thoughts? Unlucky or Knob? either way it amounts to the same thing!
      Best,
      RKBB

Hero 9 7 os in BB
      Villian J J Mid Pos

Villian min raises and I call.

Flp is 10 9 7

I shove all in for around 30 quid

He thinks for ages then calls - turns over his Jacks... I've since looked at the odds and he was 42% and I was 57% at this point.....

Turn is a J giving him a set and causing me to use a very bad word!

River is meaningless 4

So.... was my shove on the flop the right move? :f_confused:
  • 5 replies
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Don't know stacks, don't know reads, don't know villain's perception of you, don't know blind sizes, don't know bet sizes, don't know pot size on flop so it's impossible to say whether shoving flop was correct. Obviously it was correct if you could see his cards and predict his response, since you got it in while ahead.

Generally I would fold that hand preflop because calling with junk out of position is a losing play.
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Thanks for your thoughts mrbeer,
      I know what you're saying about 7 9 being pretty crappy, but being in the BB I was already partly in there, and plus this guy had been raising far too often and I didn't want to keep folding. I thought he may have had Kings when he first raised or at best AK given he was playing like a text book most of the time when he went to showdown.... so that's why I thought if I could call with something he may not expect and hit he wouldn't be able to put me on a hand easily, and I think he wouldn't have put me on two pair.... plus I thought my massive overbet would either make him think it was a bluff, and I thought I was ahead, or more importantly I thought it would mean he'd lay the hand down then and there and I'd win a resonable pot and more importantly send the message that I'd be capable of calling with any two cards..... its ironic if he had Aces or Kings I'd be looking a lot better with my call then lamenting losing!
      R
    • ferdy81
      ferdy81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RKBB65
      So.... was my shove on the flop the right move? :f_confused:
      Whenever you are favorite it is a +EV move! So, in a long term you will be a winning player, but the graph could have bigger swings.

Now based on your table image and hand history, for some opponents this can look like a bluff, for some value bet, etc. Based on all this info and stack sizes, they respond with call of fold.

To be short, use hands evaluation forum here regularly to analyze your tough spots:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1412
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello RKBB65,

Welcome to the English NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Here is some help for you how to post hands: link.

That kind of hand is really difficult to read without any information as which is pointed earlier, especially not even stack sizes nor blinds.

I could just say that fold preflop and why do you shove the flop? :)

Best Regards.
    • mrbeer9999
      mrbeer9999
      Basic
      Originally posted by RKBB65
      Thanks for your thoughts mrbeer,
      I know what you're saying about 7 9 being pretty crappy, but being in the BB I was already partly in there, and plus this guy had been raising far too often and I didn't want to keep folding.
      If you think he's trying to steal and will fold to aggression, you are better off 3-betting than calling because it's hard to exert pressure on him when you call out of position with junk hands.

Saying you are partly in there is not a good enough reason to call. If you tried to steal someone's blinds with 72o and they shoved, would you call because you are partly there?