No turbo - less variance?

• ramadas
      ramadas
      Bronze
      After I read this post:

I really dont understand MTT variance.
      I ended up finishing 2nd in the 20$ Rebuy last night for 4.6k, which was great obviously, but it made me do some thinking.

Every time i feel I am playing well, building up big stacks etc, I end up failing. My last 3 big scores (14k in 55 cubed, 5k in 27 turbo, then this 4.6k in 20$ rebuy) have all been extremely lucky. They haven't been lucky as in me just playing awful and suck out after suck out per say, but in each tournament i was really short and ended up coming back.

In the 55 cubed, i was under 5 BBS with 2 tables left, for me to come back and win that, pretty lucky. In the 27 turbo i was down to under 2 BBS and came back from that, again, lucky. In the 20$ rebuy last night, I ended up losing a huge pot with about 50 left which left me with about 7 BBS, and again, I came back.

I feel like i played the 55 cubed FT very very badly, but managed to stay in it due to pure luck + coolers etc for sure. The 27.50 Turbo i played amazing, but I play those kind of FTS (every1 less than 20 bbs) day in day out, so that should be expected. and then last night in the 20$ rebuy, again, like the 55 cubed, it was a hard field, and I felt i got outplayed completely. There is so much I need to learn at the FT in MTTS. I came in 1/9 and I should have been the aggressor, but I let everyone walk all over me. Last night the FT was just super super aggro and I was folding to 4 bets like everytime, and wasn't picking up big hands etc, so i nitted up a ton. Luckily for me though these kids were putting in 30-60 BBS like it was their job and it allowed me to move up pay spot after pay spot. I literally had less chips heads up then when i started the FT with (came in 1/9, but still). I ended up doubling up quick in the HU match with JJ vs A4, and then got it in with A8 vs A6 for the CL, but he spiked a 6 and that was that.

Anyways, all I am saying is that I am hitting my big scores when i shouldn't, and I am not hitting big scores when I should, it is 100% backwards. I am not bitching, Ill obviously take the money, I just dont understand it at all.

I also looked at PS turbo MTT and I see that there is a lot of coin flipping in turbo MTT and it is good for LAGs. If someone is TAG, he should play normal slow MTT and wait for good cards.

What do you think?
  • 5 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Slower mtt's have less variance - that is absolutely true. If you are not used to play LAG-Style I would suggest standard structure instead of turbo structure.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • ramadas
      ramadas
      Bronze
      Thanks!

For example on PStars they offer:

1. turbo MTT for FPPoints from 5 FPP
      2. and standard MTT for money 1-2 USD usually (not many of them) and cheapest one for FPP costs 500 FPP.

Why standard MTT are more expensive to enter than turbo MTT?
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Well - you have to see it from their perspective.
      They don't make much money with players that play micro tournaments. If these people were offered deepstack tournaments the would make even less money because these tournaments last longer. The faster the structure the more you can play - therefore it makes sense to offer many turbo and hyperturbo tournaments in the micro section.

Furthermore there is a big demand for micro mtt's. If you give them a normal structure they would last for a very long time. It makes more sense to give them a faster structure to increase the number of players willing to play them.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • 23devil23
      23devil23
      Bronze
      Thanks!

For example on PStars they offer:

1. turbo MTT for FPPoints from 5 FPP
      2. and standard MTT for money 1-2 USD usually (not many of them) and cheapest one for FPP costs 500 FPP.

Why standard MTT are more expensive to enter than turbo MTT?

There are normal speed 45-man and 90-man MTTs for 25c.
    • pechkin85
      pechkin85
      Gold
      more like its not worth playing 10 hours in a 5 fpp tournament