large tournaments

• sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      I have a question about the large freeze-out tournament strategies. What do you think is the best aprose of the tournaments.

I mostly stay close to the sng stategie which is to only play the good hands early in the tournament and try to steal the blind when the blind get higher.

I'm very intrested in other people strategies on large tournaments.

I mostly play them cause I like to play them. my best result is a 6th place finish at a $1 dollar tournament and got a ticket to the sunday warm-up on pokerstars in a $3 rebuy tournament so not that much succes yet. but he it was fun.
  • 8 replies
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      for ages I used to play very tight and only premium cards and like to keep close to average chip stack but this wont work & most time you will get blinded away and now in early stages of MTT like to be close to chip leader in early stages and know this will give me getter chances later on in the tournament

Just remember you and everyone else in a MTT will be card dead at some time of a MTT and thats why you need to build chips early and the players that handle this well be stealing in position , finding weak players to steal against will have better chances in this tourney

The game will tighten up around just before the bubble and this gives you a chance to attack weaker players , after the bubble players will play a lot looser range of cards but you can win a lot of chips in this period by picking the right spots

Close to the final table you should know a lot about the other player and ranges of hands they play , pick your spots and sometimes you going to make difficult calls , if you have played a lot of sng the final table can be played in much the same way

Play MTT size you are happy with , like on Pokerstars there are good sng with 27/45/180/360 players and play these and freee few freerolls first , the donkfest like the 100K on stars with 20,000 players give it a miss and play tourneys where you got a chance to make the top 3
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      What for ranges do you play and how big are you're bets. bur trying to steal 30 or 45 on blind don't seen real usefull.
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sirilidion
      What for ranges do you play and how big are you're bets. bur trying to steal 30 or 45 on blind don't seen real usefull.
      the simple answer is dont , but there is always a chance to build a big pot in first few levels

Playing NL Holdem can change very quick and only takes a few hands to build a big stack

The first few levels play hands that if you hit the pot big you will get paid off like suited A but dont put to much in preflop

Play big pairs hard and mid pairs only play for set value and play connectors in position and only start stealing pots when levels are higher and are worth it , in the first few levels raises wont have much respect but with As & Ks you dont want to lose them all but be up against no more than two players

You can wait a bit for hands to come to you but as soon as you get close to 10 big blinds left you need to open up your range of starting hands while you still got some fold equity

MTT are good fun but remember bankroll management where you only use 100th of your bankroll for any MTT , so even if you are busted out early in one there is always another you can play
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      generally i would limp behind a lot more lateposition with marginal hands, and extract maximum value from decent hits.

and of course protect your good hands pre.
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      one thing on here is that there is not a good guide to playing big MTT on PokerStrategy and know there is some very good MTT players on here like swissmoumout and maybe they could ask him or someone to help get a good guide up
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      yes that is one of the reasons I have to ask it here there aren't any article on the tournaments. While there are also many variants on the tournaments so as the freeze-out, shoot out, rebuy, deepstack and there is also a difference if it is a normal tournament which the blinds increase once in the 15 minites, or a turbo where the blinds increase every 5 minites there and there are also toyrnaments where the blinds increase every 10 minutes.

I think the different tournament mostly take on different aprose and a different bankrollmanagement may be needed. It maybe will take some time so get so al the articles ready. is this the reason why pokerstrategie doesn't have any articles on them or do you just don't like tournament :(
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi sirilidion

Don't worry, we are working on such articles. Until then just use the forum and ask the more experienced players, they might help you to find the right approach.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Early game you can wait for decent hands as the blind levels are pretty slow to increase, like in sng's the most important thing is survival, as the blind levels increase you have to take more risks.

I think its important to steal pots more when the ante's kick in, and not to limp in then coz a lot of players will try to steal. Play more hands in the SB if there are limpers as your pot odd's increase ALOT then, if no one else called preflop you should raise pretty much any 2 SB vs BB (suited connectors, JT+/any PP, but be prepared to fold marginal hands if they push.

I don't really like raising 4xBB when the blinds get so big, 3 is usually ok then imo.

Don't let other players push you around. If theres a player that pushes/steals a lot (usually a big stack maniac) it might be a good idea to resteal with cards like AQ+ or 99+ for a double up.