Multitasking,donking out

• 23devil23
      23devil23
      Bronze
      I have recently lost 23 dollars of my 30 on pokerstars donking out.Basically I was a winning player, friend sent me 5 dollars I made 30 of it but yesterday I was playing some zoom poker 2 tables at time(really plenty of hands per minute) and after some time doing that I got in like confused state and started doing terrible decisions.-Like moving all in pre flop on A9 suited and after loosing like 5 dollars(playing NL5 zoom half stacked) I totally donked out and went on NL25 zoom table( with 17 dollars) and lost it there on one hand(called all in 3 bet pre flop with AQ).I felt totally dumb for doing that but I was in such a sick state after that multitasking that I couldnt help myself.I got so frustrated that I self excluded myself from playing on ps for 7 days after that happened and I think it would be good for me to stop playing poker in general.(will be able to play at 1. of july)Has this ever happened to any of you guys?Also I wanted to ask how do you deal with multitasking? Does it require training or constant breaks?I got really respect for anyone able to do more than 4 tables at time after this has happened to me.
      Thank you in advance
  • 5 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Erm, you mean multitasking as in playing more tables at a time, right? You get used to it with time... it might be easier to start getting used to playing multiple tables on normal tables than on zoom though, as the game is slower there in general.

I think that you might not be aware of the variance, etc... You are talking about turning $5 into $30 in a day, that proves nothing - anyone can win that. A good sample size to determine whether you're a winning player or not would be about 100k hands, and even then you can't be completely sure. Reading some psychology articles could help you here.

I suggest that you also read up on some articles on bankroll management (there are plenty of them in our strategy section).

I would suggest two more things:

1. Read articles, watch videos, attend live coachings, post hands in our hand evaluation sections. There are so many free resources on this site that you can take advantage of, use them! Joining a study group or finding a poker buddy will be very beneficial too (check the poker strategy sections of the forums).

2. Pokerstars has a nice feature that you can use, it's under Requests -> Responsible gaming -> Restrict table limits. Once you read up on the Bankroll management articles, you can easily restrict the limits that you are able to play and therefore make sure that you obey it :) .

Best of luck at the tables, and feel free to ask some more questions!

-SF
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      well, people can multitable effectively because they have a "standard" gameplan for a lot of spots. then it's just go ahead and clickbot :f_biggrin:
      sometimes (all the time actually) your standard gameplan has some bad flaws. these are the "leaks" :f_biggrin:

also, nl5 <<<< nl25. in any case i'll say that it's definitely not standard there to stack off preflop with AQ
    • 23devil23
      23devil23
      Bronze
      I think that you might not be aware of the variance, etc... You are talking about turning $5 into $30 in a day, that proves nothing - anyone can win that. A good sample size to determine whether you're a winning player or not would be about 100k hands, and even then you can't be completely sure.

It took me like 10 days of playing to make that 30.:P I know that I should watch my br but I felt like I was gonna pass out after 1 hour of playing that two tables and after I lost there I was too frustrated and thats why I donked out I guess. I have played poker for some time now I know I am not gonna win with AA pre flop every time, also I am pretty good at tournaments and sngs(only type of game I played till zoom)Thank you for the help I will definitely look up more articles.And about the table limit restriction, can I set a time of limitation or the %tage of my bankroll which I wish to not exceed there? My last question is quite simple.Doesnt playing cash game poker make you less intelligent if you do it for longer amount of time?Like my talking abilities and also concentration were really limited after 6 hours of zoom...Does it go away with time?I am really a beginner even tho I played tournament poker for like 1 month now with free br on poker 770(got to 90 dollars was stuck at that amount for 2 weeks and then I gave it up and purposeably wasted it basically as I though there is no point wasting time there-had already restrictions removed :P ) thats why I am asking you these stupid newbie questions.Thank you for help again I see you are a great poker player damm.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 23devil23
      Doesnt playing cash game poker make you less intelligent if you do it for longer amount of time?Like my talking abilities and also concentration were really limited after 6 hours of zoom...Does it go away with time?
      I have never noticed that I would be getting dumber after playing poker.

If you are playing more tables than you are used to and are really concentrating on what's going on at the tables than I would think that talking about other stuff becomes more difficult. But after you turn off poker you should be fine again. That is, if you are not tilting or anything like that.
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      multitabling poker (especially zoom) most certainly places a heavy load on the attentional resources of your brain. e.g. its very hard to hold an indepth convo with somone in the room while playing 4 tables zoom.

some people have better working memory than others, and are better able to widen their attention to process multiple things faster than others can.

not to say you arent one of these people, but if you are relatively new to poker, you can make things alot easier on yourself by playing less tables... maybe 1 table of zoom. at least until you are more comfortable and experienced and can come to what you think are correct decisions faster.

oh, and playing poker is very unlikely to make you less intelligent. maybe you have less concentration span after playing poker for hours because it was stressful or you had to concentrate alot. but in general, since poker is quite demanding on your cognitive resources, it is more likely that playing poker over time would expand your attentional abilities, thereby making you smarter. this is similar to somone playing something like sudoku often