[NL20-NL50] Middle pairs in 3-Bet pots

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Poker Stars, $0.08/$0.16 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $17.97 (112.3 bb)
      Hero (BB): $16.56 (103.5 bb) 11/11/2.0/7.7/0/62
      UTG: $15.20 (95 bb)
      MP: $12.22 (76.4 bb)
      CO: $25.63 (160.2 bb)
      BTN: $16.88 (105.5 bb) 28/23/1.4/12.5/50/131 Fold to 3-Bet 50%(4)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q Q
      UTG calls $0.16, 2 folds, BTN raises to $0.48, SB folds, Hero raises to $2.08, UTG folds, BTN calls $1.60

Flop: ($4.40) K 7 T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.92, Hero folds

I find these spots very difficult OOP. Should I C-Bet flop? If he calls should I C-Bet turn too if no draw completes?

Results:
      $4.40 pot ($0.20 rake)
      Final Board: K 7 T
      Hero mucked Q Q and lost (-$2.08 net)
      BTN mucked and won $4.20 ($2.12 net)
  • 6 replies
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Indeed not a very nice spot but you should be ahead of his range on the flop so I'd cbet

nl.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: Kh7hTs
      Equity Winst Split
      MP2 41.46% 41.21% 0.25% { JJ-99, AQs-ATs, KJs+, QJs, JTs, T9s, AQo-AJo, KQo, AhKd, AsKd, AsKh, AcKd, AcKh, AcKs }
      MP3 58.54% 58.28% 0.25% { QdQs }

I think this range is realistic. I expect him to go broke with AK most of the time but to be sure I let in half of AKo combo's.

60%pot cbet should work 40% of the times. It's close actually but I think he'll continue with this range:
      TT,JdJh,JdJs,JhJs,ATs,KJs+,QJs,JTs,T9s,AhQh,AhJh,KQo,AhKd,AsKd,AsKh,AcKd,AcKh,AcKs
      That's about 50% of his preflop callingrange.

When the turn comes I don't think you let him fold a lot so I'd check/fold there.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello maheepsangari,

Check/Folding is still kind of weak vs his whole range there which will contain a lot worse hands even and not just Kx. So if you even go for Check line then I'd Call it off and let him bluff with some weaker hands and reevaluate the turn.

CBetting in those spots isn't always a must cause it's difficult to play the hand on the turn and just Check/Folding ain't going to work out.

Best Regards.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      So veriz you don't agree with me?

And again I don't understand why the line betflop -> ch/fturn is bad. If we do bet the turn it's a pure bluff and he will fold allmost never.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Farmarchist

And again I don't understand why the line betflop -> ch/fturn is bad. If we do bet the turn it's a pure bluff and he will fold allmost never.
      Cause you can easily just fold the best hand and your line will be in long run super easily exploitable. I have tons of those regs similar to you and I am abusing them everyday cause of the same reason. You are rarely Checking Kx hand on the turn nor any strong hand.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz

Cause you can easily just fold the best hand and your line will be in long run super easily exploitable. I have tons of those regs similar to you and I am abusing them everyday cause of the same reason. You are rarely Checking Kx hand on the turn nor any strong hand.
      Okay I try to learn it :) .

What part of his range are we attacking on the turn? Do you think we do have the best hand much?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by veriz

Okay I try to learn it :) .

What part of his range are we attacking on the turn? Do you think we do have the best hand much?
      That's again dependent on the opponent, table dynamics, our image. BTN seems to be pretty loose so his range can be pretty wide there even towards just GS.