Pokerstars: A case of mistaken identity?

• Paddii
      Paddii
      Bronze
      Hey i am a recreational player and play on Pokerstars maybe once a month. Recently i received an email after trying to deposit stating the following:

Deposit and Cashout Transactions are currently disabled in your account as it has come to our attention that your account is associated with a player with whom we have an outstanding issue.

In order to assist you in clearing your account, we kindly request an explanation of your association to 'Vasya_Bratik'.

It is standard procedure to request an explanation when this type of situation occurs. Since we have to make sure that you are not the same person as the above player, we would like to ask you to email or fax us a clear photocopy of your driver's license, front and back, or other government issued photo ID.

I have already provided the requested documentation for my account. I have no idea who this Vasya_Bratik is?

I haven't received any feed back after 3 days, every response to the emails i send are as follows:

We are very sorry, but at this time there are no further news to report to you. As much as we would like to answer our player's questions straight away, this is not always possible due to peak periods and high volumes of queries.

We have verified that your previous email had been forwarded to the person responsible for handling that matter. Please allow him the necessary time to contact you back.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?
  • 5 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hi Paddii,

I've moved your thread to our PokerStars board.

I've never had this problem personally but I believe PokerStars are just doing what they feel is necessary. It may prove to be something innocuous but at this point I suggest that you remain patient until you hear back from them.

Being the worlds largest online poker site they must have a lot of requests and work on so they will deal with each case in turn.

Keep us up to speed with any developments and I hope you get your account back very soon.

Kind regards,
      Gary
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Hi Paddii

I don't know the details but it is probably a case that requires further investigation from their part anyway, and until it is done you will just have to wait.

and I guess it will be unique to your situation.

Please keep us informed of any development

regards

Thazar
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      something similar happened to me, also got my account related to some russian or whatever when i tried to deposit but got it fixed in under a day after sending dox. :f_biggrin: unlucky you, maybe
    • Paddii
      Paddii
      Bronze
      Hey guys

Got some good news, my account has been cleared for all real money transactions :)

I asked for some feedback as to how the issue even transpired in the first place considering how infrequently i play i still felt confused about the situation and i got the following response:

PokerStars routinely conducts reviews on accounts to determine if any association exists with other players on the site. This may result in you being asked to explain your relation with a related player. In this case, we have determined your association to the player in question and confirmed that it was a light relation.

In one way i was a little pissed that it took so long to figure out that there was no wrongdoing on my part, but in another sense quite relieved that such reviews are conducted. Because even at the micro limits its nice to know that things are taken seriously (from a security perspective) and missing 5 days of poker is better than getting cheated in my book.

So guess i can finally hit up a few tourneys :P wish me luck guys!!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Good luck and glad to hear that you've got your account back :)