• 6 replies
    • JoeRichy
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

First and foremost to make money obviously but at this moment in time my motivation is to get good fundamentals down and to know the plays I am making are +EV and I will win longterm.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Ego,BRM and Stop Loss.

Each of these I will get under control during the course I am sure.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Selecting good starting hands and to always be the bettor or the raiser and very rarely calling unless the situation is right ofcourse as I learnt in the article of pot control.
    • JoeRichy
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Open my range more against tight opponents when stealing i.e J9s,K9s,Q9s are all possibilities which could be +EV providing the blinds fold often enough to make the steal profitable as far as the rest of the chart I believe the rest is fine.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

In the hand below the reason for the raise size is someone posted a blind to sit in faster.

PartyGaming - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 9 players

Hero (UTG+2): $2.33
      MP: $2.10
      MP+1: $2.00
      CO: $1.94
      BB: $0.60
      BTN: $2.00
      SB: $3.57
      BB: $0.53
      UTG+1: $5.44

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.05) Hero has J:heart: J:spade:

fold, Hero raises to $0.10, fold, fold, CO calls $0.10, BB raises to $0.24, fold, SB calls $0.23, fold, Hero calls $0.14, CO calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.98, 4 players) 2:spade: A:club: 6:diamond:
      SB bets $0.70, fold, CO raises to $1.70 and is all-in, BB calls $0.36 and is all-in, SB calls $1.00

Turn: ($4.74, 3 players) 5:heart:

River: ($4.74, 3 players) 4:club:

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

AKo - 46.32%
      Top 5% - 53.68%
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

BRM is very important aspect of poker, which is kind of must to follow. If you ain't following it it will lead you just gambling money away. During tilt phase it could also be the case that you are more moody and which means that you are going to lose more money away. If you don't have a proper BRM then it will lead you to the losses. Therefore try to follow strictly to BRM and set up the buy-in rule for yourself what is a must need. Standard would be ~25BIs at least which for some is even aggressive BRM.

Seems like you are tilting but against tilt at some point too much, against tilt for example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Ego problems is common in poker, you are trying to be too much the sheriff on the table and trying to prove that you are the best. Although is is really on the tables about proving to others who is the best? Ain't we there to make money, so act like that and don't start spewing and trying to be over aggressive which will just cause you lose money.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

About the hands I'd advice to post them into Hand Evaluation forums, you can get there from here: link.

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position. Although overall it's not always a must to open tight from the late position when you are stealing, especially when you have even very tight opponents sitting on the blinds, you can easily loosen up accordingly to them.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • JoeRichy
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.

Question 1: You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:diamond: 3:club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:club: ?

1a:Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.72% 50.35% 0.38% KsQs
      MP3 49.28% 48.90% 0.38% 3d3c

1b:Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.44% 26.44% 0.00% KsQs
      MP3 73.56% 73.56% 0.00% 3d3c

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

When we raise and we get called we can assume that villains range is all small pairs, suited connectors and broadway cards. When we check the turn and he checks behind we can assume that he doesn't have a set or two pair because he would want to get max value and the straight and flush possibilities are out there. When we bet and are min raised we can assume we are behind to a straight so we look at the pot odds: The total pot is $0.91 and the price is $0.22 and this gives us 4.13 to 1 odds to call we can see that it is a close call so a call and give up on any river that isn't a club.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Will post some after session
    • veriz
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!