[NL2-NL10] nl4 AK

• DrDunne
      hi veriz i would like to discuss lines to take with AK (or even just TPTK).

Poker Stars $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $6.47
      BB: $2.77
      CO: $1.93
      Hero (BTN): $8.91

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BTN with K:heart: A:spade:
      CO calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.20, 1 fold, BB calls $0.15, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.47) 8:heart: K:club: Q:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.07) 2:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($1.87) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

i find myself in this sort of a spot quite often. i remember seeing you in a similar situation in one of the coachings and i remember what you said about the flop - you don't want to raise because you are isolating against better hands. if the board had only a K on it and no Q, are we in the same situation?

can we EVER raise with AK on an A high or K high flop with TPTK? i feel like i might be losing lots of value here against weaker Ax or Kx hands. i never raise with TPTK because i always think i'm isolating. i know it's player dependent but i need some more information about this. i just go into WA/WB and never get to play for stacks with TPTK. i guess it would be ok to raise vs a passive fish with a high WTSD but what else should i know about this? i'll probably ask for an elaboration in tomorrow's coaching so i'll post a couple more similar hands in the coaching thread if i can find them :)
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Hello DrDunne,

if the board had only a K on it and no Q, are we in the same situation?

Depends also on the opponent we are against, vs some shorties I'd be happy to raise it up and play for the stacks. If rather reasonable opponent then of course rather a way ahead/behind situation and maybe even bluff-induce.

So I guess this also answers your 2nd question if we can ever raise, yes we can. :P Depends a lot on specific situation.

Like for example this guy where we assume he is loose according his stack we could even raise for value on the flop and just ship da money cause he has a lot of worse Kx hands in his range and maybe even worse.

Best Regards.