Jaeden23

• jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      Hey, I'm jaeden, I'm 23 years old and have been playing poker on and off for years, I'm currently pretty confident with the basics although I do still need some improvement, I'm looking to make my fundamentals as solid as possible so I can start improving and making some money, (hopefullly :) ).
  • 2 replies
    • jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My dream would be to play poker and make a good living solely from it, I've never been cut out for a normal 9-5 job. I love the game, I love winning and I love money :) I've always wanted to devote my time to study and get really good at something and I think poker fits the bill for me.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My main weakness in life is laziness and a short attention span, it also transfers to poker sadly, I really have to improve these two things to make me sucessful I think. When at the tables overconfidence and tilt are my two worst enemies, (and also that guy that calls or raises everything you do grrr!)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To me tight aggressive gives you the best chance of having the best hand pre-flop, post-flop decision making is also made easier as a result. Playing aggressive applies pressure to your opponents forcing mistakes and making your own decisions easier again.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

About laziness I'd say that it's not only with poker but wherever you want to become good at something you have to invest a lot of time. Being lazy is usually some excuse to get out of it. In poker it's going to cost you even money if you at some point are taking it not seriously, so therefore try to force yourself not being lazy. Write even on paper and read it before the game and remind to yourself what you are there to do.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.