beginners question?

• Graceseven
      Graceseven
      Basic
      If I have put this in the wrong area apologize please ship it to the right department, maybe in the beginners section?

Ok here I go! Relating to 6max turbo.

1. I raised pot, facing a small rr! I look to it this way! .....>If the raise is small I call. If the rr is by example 40 or 50 more! to my ideas that is inducing but I can flop good also and than take his or her stack.

2. Implied odds/ set value. when to call a raise 3x/4x during the first two levels. This is the way I look to it!.....> If the raise is early and I am in early position I mostly fold cause we can get rr and than you need to fold! BUT.. implied odds suggest in sng's that you can call up to 15x the amount of the raise if that is smaller or equal your own stack?! If I am up against a single player do I have to use the 15x thing here or shall I say," well I need two callers making it profitable call, if not I fold!

I think about point 2 my problem is. How do I have to look to it? number of players in the pot or just a math 15x the raise value equal or smaller than stack to make the call profitable.

Hope I am clear! Thanks very much. Graceseven! =)
  • 3 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Graceseven!

You can call a raise if both you and your opponent have at least 20 * the amount in your stacks (Call20 rule).

Small pocket pairs are very easy to play after the flop: If you don't hit three-of-a-kind, you don't invest any more chips.

The odds of being dealt a small pocket pair are 2.2%. The odds of hitting three-of-a-kind or better on the flop are 12.7%.

These 3 sentences are all taken from one of our strategy article that is about"how to play speculative hands". We also have a lot of valuable material in here, so I hope you will enjoy it once you reach higher status. You are also right, you can call if you and your opponent have AT LEAST 15x the amount of the raise remaining in your stack, but that will be the absolute minimum. Don't forget that we won't be able to stack our opponent everytime we flop a set + having a position is in a very big help + the more opponents they are in the hand, the better implied we have as we can win more chips + there is a higher chance somebody pays us off when we hit. Don't limp small pairs in 6-max SNG, I wouldn't limp behind either, although it's possible. Call them for set value when eff. stack depth allows it and fold otherwise. You can also re-steal with small pairs on late position raises later in the tournament, but that's another topic.

Should u have any other questions, please, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!
    • Graceseven
      Graceseven
      Basic
      Thanks for your answer! You said...

You can call a raise if both you and your opponent have at least 20 * the amount in your stacks (Call20 rule).
      You are also right, you can call if you and your opponent have AT LEAST 15x the amount of the raise remaining in your stack, but that will be the absolute minimum....

Does that mean you are saying, the 20call rule is for the time you get reraised an initial raise and the 15x is the rule for the time you can call with having given a pair?

Thanks

:spade:
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi again, Graceseven!

call20 rule is the same thing as call15 rule(if it existed). It's not about calling a re-raise, but calling a raise. The difference is that the article suggest 20x times while a lot of pros and other player will tell you 15x is also fine, just the absolute minimum.

Cheers!