Downward spiral.

• Jaiimc
      Jaiimc
      Bronze
      Hello, I'm Jake.

I've already introduced myself here - done the quiz, read the articles I currently can, got my first starting capital at William Hill poker ($10) and began playing.

I entered two PokerStrategy daily freerolls, got next to nowhere with them and in all honesty, felt really disheartened by it - as I don't feel like I am a horrible player.

I've also entered two $0.50 tournaments.
      One I was doing very well in, was in the top 10 for stack size and managed to suckout on a hand - finishing #54 out of 225 or so.
      The second, I done horribly in. I don't feel like I ever really got a playable hand - and when I finally did and felt in position to play it, it didn't hit. It put me at about half the buy in stack due to the blinds chipping at my stack. Eventually went out when I played pockets in an attempt to recover (had to all in because I was pretty much small stack) and lost.

That's $1 down.

I also tried some beginner tables, low stakes, 0.1-02.

Tried to buy in with max buyin and expected to do well, done horribly and lost about $3 on bad calls, I really was just having a horrible play time - I didn't play hands well when I got them, which was very rarely.. Didn't really recover and cashed out with only $2 of my buyin left.

I then bought in with $1.5 on another table, was staying pretty constant, hanging around my buy in value for quite a while, fluctuated up to $2 at some point, but then lost $1 with queens to trip jacks.
      Was sitting on $1 and ended up losing around 5-6 blinds, tried to steal once and got caught out on it, flop didn't connect.
      I was gonna post a hand example of how I lost the last $1, but it seems William Hill is a total bitch to convert the hand history - and I'm not sure I can do it at all. (Tried both from the XML file and the ingame history.)
      AA versus QK. He hits four of a kind queens.

So, I'm down to $4.5. I need some help here guys!

Edit: Just to add in here, does anyone have any sites they know work with William Hill (iPoker Network)? I've seen some that got it to work but I kept getting failed to parse game header.
  • 12 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Jake,
      I suggest you take the NL Beginner's course -- click the logo in my sig.

Don't expect much from the freerolls.
      Variance is huge. There is an article on How to Play a Freeroll in the strategy section.

I play them on Party -- and I cash every so often, but it is mainly for practice. For example, today I played almost 2 hours and got $0.17

I don't play on William Hill, but if the NL 2 tables there are anything like the ones on Poker 770, be a vulture -- wait for an opportunity then pounce. Yes you will lose some of the time.

Be selective about the hands you open raise with -- print the starting hands chart.

Most importantly, if you are feeling discouraged, take a break from play.
      During that break, read the articles, watch some videos.

It is really helpful to post hands in the hand evaluation forums.
      I can't help you with William Hill hands, but if you post a question in the William Hill forum, one of the people that know will be able to tell you.

Good Luck!
    • Jaiimc
      Jaiimc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi, Jake,
      I suggest you take the NL Beginner's course -- click the logo in my sig.
      I've looked at that and followed through a few lessons, plan to continue to work through them eventually.

I don't play on William Hill, but if the NL 2 tables there are anything like the ones on Poker 770, be a vulture -- wait for an opportunity then pounce. Yes you will lose some of the time.

Be selective about the hands you open raise with -- print the starting hands chart.

Most importantly, if you are feeling discouraged, take a break from play.
      During that break, read the articles, watch some videos.
      I'm pretty confident with my preflop, it's just everything that happens after (although I've been reading a few articles on that too and definitely getting more confident.

I'm also pretty confident in avoiding tilting, but it's hard to not feel bad about your play if you get sucked out a few times.

It is really helpful to post hands in the hand evaluation forums.
      I can't help you with William Hill hands, but if you post a question in the William Hill forum, one of the people that know will be able to tell you.

Good Luck!
      I've managed to fix that issue by finding one that works now!

http://weaktight.com/hand/ :)

Thanks for your input, Vorpal!

I've decided to do some SnG at $0.10 buy in to get a bit more confident in the scene.
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      I play on Titan, yesterday I made 20 dollars at NL2, there are alot of fishes, I myself not being a good player either.

As far as I know the majority of the tables are the same tables for every Ipoker skin with few exceptions.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Jaiimc

Thanks for your input, Vorpal!

I've decided to do some SnG at $0.10 buy in to get a bit more confident in the scene.
      That sounds like a good idea.

Another thing to watch for is time of day.

My "evening" is 00:00 - 06:00 Z
      There are few tables active at that time, and most of the players are solid TAGs

To put it another way -- try to select tables that have a few loose players.

Good Luck!
    • Jaiimc
      Jaiimc
      Bronze
      Edit: Won 2 SnGs since posting this post - almost won a third but went all in and had a bad beat. Not won much, about a dollar in total, but it feels good to win some SnGs.

Well, my third SnG at $0.10 - managed to come second finally.

Won a little under 2 buy ins for the SnG stakes I'm playing ($0.18)

Felt like I shoulda come first really - the dude limped in on nothing.

Looking back at it, I did bet VERY weak, allowing him to chase - but with a J high, I wouldn't have even called 200.

No Limit Holdem Tournament
      iPoker
      2 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      SB Jaiimc (4,560) 46bb
      BB GJHDEYFXFCNB (4,440) 44bb

Blinds: 50/100

Pre-Flop: (150, 2 players) Jaiimc is SB A: K:
      GJHDEYFXFCNB calls 100

Flop: :4h: :5d: A: (100, 2 players)
      GJHDEYFXFCNB checks, Jaiimc bets 200, GJHDEYFXFCNB calls 200

Turn: :6d: (500, 2 players)
      GJHDEYFXFCNB checks, Jaiimc bets 4,160, GJHDEYFXFCNB goes all-in 4,040

River: :8s: (8,580, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: 8,580
      GJHDEYFXFCNB shows Flush
      :3d: J:
      Jaiimc shows Pair
      A: K:

GJHDEYFXFCNB wins 9,030 (net +4,590)

Jaiimc collects 240 (net -4,170)
    • martinemem
      martinemem
      Bronze
      May i suggest only playing nl2 or don until u get a br that can handle mtt :club:

Variance is too high to on mtt and sngs (unless u play like freerolls 0.1$ or 0,01 ;D)

Don can be hurtfull too, but not as much as mtt and reg sng's.

Only my cents ;D
    • Jaiimc
      Jaiimc
      Bronze
      I got told to try double up, seems the lowest buy in is $1 - came 4th, which was just out of the money.

There goes all my profit for the day :p

Played 3 now, came 4th twice in a row and then finished 6th - on my first hand. Got KK versus J6 and the dude hit trips on flop.

My BR is about to go bust - got some really sucky loses too.

Down to $1.16 - which isn't even enough to join a $1 double up due to rake :P

I've cleared above the $0.50 rake I needed to, to unlock my next $10 - but I'll be waiting 6 days for that - live and learn I guess.

Edit: Played a 4th, lost with KK to 67... God, my luck with kings is sucking. Bust BR now.

Time to take a week out and wait for my next $10 bonus - read more and get some perspective on what to do when getting really sucked out.
    • Jaiimc
      Jaiimc
      Bronze
      I was down to $0.03 in my BR, there was some SnG which was $0.02 buyin... So, I decided I've got nothing to lose - it's 2 cents, why not.

Didn't pay attention to the rules of prize, just wanted a laugh.

Turns out it was a Single Hand and the prize was a seat to a stage 2...

If I come 10th or above in that, I win a seat to ANOTHER tournament - which I have to come first in to win anything at all - but it's $165... Long or very short day of poker tomorrow!
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      Just play freerolls or even better you deposit money, there's a higher chance you'll play a better game because they are your money on the line and you'll have a better motivation to learn the game of poker.

If you play freerolls, be prepared to stay 6 hours to be in final 3. Also remember that means to stay awake 'till 2AM.

And many times you'll just get some cents since only the final table really worths something, well that's how it was for me.

If I were you I'd deposit and not waste time on freerolls and use that time to play the type of game I WOULD WANT and learn that type of game. Finally if you deposit you'll also clear the first debosit bonus!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by ninuu
      ... there's a higher chance you'll play a better game because they are your money on the line and you'll have a better motivation to learn the game of poker.
      Your comments about freerolls are spot on.
      It takes a long time to get anywhere, but the risk is 0.

One of the fascinating things about poker is that you can only win a hand if you put chips at risk. The amount you can win is proportional (usually) to the amount you risk.

the skill of poker comes from assessing the risk.

For some people -- me for example -- the fact that it is my own money makes it harder to risk it. I worked hard for that money.

As you build a bankroll, you will eventually be risking other people's money. Money that you have won. For some it is easier to risk other people's money.

Poker is strange because in order to win, you must really want to win -- but at the same time, not care if you lose.

--VS
    • Jaiimc
      Jaiimc
      Bronze
      Wasn't doing too bad in the tournament - was up to 15k chips at some point and was ready to continue but sadly something irl cropped up with my little brother, so I had to drop out for a bit.

Came back to around 3k chips, proper small stack play this late in to the tournament. Blinds had just turned to 250/500.

Managed to double up on AQ - but then went bust on 9s.

Little aggravated that I had to drop out when doing so well, but sometimes things happen in life. Ah well!

Always the freeroll later on tonight.

Thanks for the feedback by the way guys.

Edit: Forgot to mention - finished 38/141. Not too bad if you ask me.
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      deposit more than $10

There isnt much you can do with that unless your gonna grind the freerolls and that is liable to make you go crazy.