Looking at the small picture = Bad?

• midgetjay
      midgetjay
      Bronze
      I'm the type of person who always checks on his bankroll like every 10 minutes and I feel that it hurts my game. I see every little profit and every little loss and quite frankly, it stresses me out. When I first started out, I made it my goal to NOT look at my bankroll for an entire week. It sounded risky to me, but I went through with it. At the end of the week, I peeked at it and voila: it jumped from $45 to $70! I think that it helped me to see the whole picture, rather than every individual peak and valley. (I didn't give myself the chance to see all of the small losses here and there; and those small badbeats/suckouts would really get to me! SERIOUSLY!!!)

Would it be a good idea to not keep track of your BR so frequently? I mean, of course you have to check on it every now and then for BR management purposes, but would it be alright to check on it every couple of days or so? The way I look at it, if you're playing great poker and making all the right moves, correct plays, and sharp calls, then you shouldn't have to worry about the money.. right? Sure you'll get sucked out sometimes while you're on your 'A' game, but won't you come out at the end on top?

I don't know, let me know what you guys think. I was just pondering at that idea. And when I take the money out of the equation, I can have fun and see what poker is truly about. Most importantly, I learn a lot better when I don't have money, money, money in the back of my mind. For that's what this is all about right? Learning...

Anyways, bored you guys enough.. you can stop drooling now.
  • 5 replies