Hi there everyone- I'm the new Kid!

• elethorisRNMD
      elethorisRNMD
      Basic
      Hello everyone- well, let me introduce myself- I'm a 19 year old finance student who has for better or for worse gotten closely acquainted to online poker.

I played awfully at first, losing hundreds of my own cash (I worked part time during my gap year), treating it mostly as a game of luck, gambling like an idiot. However I soon realized I could not go on the way I was, and started to read all the material pertaining to poker I could put my hands on- from Brunson to Helmuth to Greenstein- and began learning the underlying mathematical and psychological principals of the game.

Despite a somewhat more rigorous approach to the game (I was no longer playing for fun- I was playing to win) alas tilt and idiocy on my part ended up destroying my 3.5 grand bankroll. I feel my game was far better, but I was playing at stakes far greater than I should have- and whether it was bad variance or lack of skill I know not- but the end result stayed the same- I'm broke.

To paraphrase Socrates, I realized I really knew (and still know) nothing. It was an expensive lesson, one which ended up costing me everything I made- and I know some of you guys play with far more than that, but for a guy like me, 3.5 grand is a hell of a lot.

However, the phoenix will rise from the ashes- (hell, even phil Ivey went broke in his younger days)- and I have begun the depressing but necessary journey back up. My personality means I'll never quit (I hate being beaten, and I hate admitting defeat)- so since I've got an addictive personality, the only way to stop myself being financially destroyed is to up my game, and learn to play in such a way which will at the very least have me break even.

I'm willing to put 5 hours a day into studying every aspect of the game, watching others play, and taking notes. I cannot let myself be defeated by the game- and I'll do everything in my power to start winning. I'm not stupid- I've been top of my class for as long as I can remember- so I know I have it in me to become a winner.

Which is why I'm here. To lurk on these forums, learning from the vast wisdom of the real card sharks out there, and perhaps find myself a mentor to help me climb back up.

So I come here cap in hand- as a learner/ loser/ student with great ambition- willing to claw his way to the top, and willing to put any number of hours/ work in achieving this. Now I have the entire summer, an internet connection, and 0.66 cents in my account. Lets see if I can turn things around. If any of you card sharks/ pro's out there are willing to give me advice/ coach me/ advise me/ recommend books/ whatever, please PM and and we'll talk on skype! I want fill my skype/ IM accounts with people I hope to emulate! :)

Best, and cheers for having read all this!

Phil
  • 10 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      Originally posted by elethorisRNMD
      Best, and cheers for having read all this!
      np :f_biggrin:

what kind of game do (or did) you play, cash games/tourneys, which ones?
      i'd recommend you to deposit like $20 or something and trying to go from there, building from nothing is ofc possible but a quite slow affair.
      or if you're not from the USA you could apply for the starting capital, i'm working my way up from it myself. :f_biggrin:
    • elethorisRNMD
      elethorisRNMD
      Basic
      Haha thanks Tom!

Oh well I didn't really have any set game I'd always play- I was really jack of all trades, master of none. The stakes I played at varied depending on my bankroll- sometimes I'd play with over 1000 Euros on the table, other times I'd play 1c/2c games. (terrible, awful bankroll management as you can see). 11 euro buyin MTT's seemed to be the tourneys I was best at (I remember getting to the final table twice in a row once). The tragic thing is overall (I should check my stats though) I think I was profitable at most tourneys, however I'd just blow it all away on cash games.

I was awful at cash games- I remember winning a 500 man MTT once (2nd place)- and then blowing everything on a high stakes cash game

Now I just play freerolls (just won one- 26 euros oh joy!) Building myself back up. Am working on sorting out my low stakes cash games strategy so I can grind it up from there. From now onwards I'll stick to the lowest MTT tourney I can find, and grind it out using proper bankroll management, slowly, but surely- buying in at stakes I can afford, and rigorously analyzing my game. I won't stop until I succeed :p And I won't stop after I succeed either :D And I'll stick to maximum two types of games.

I know now I'm a fish, however evolutionary pressures will one day turn me into a barracuda, and then hopefully a shark.

Oo, luckily I'm from the UK so I'll definitely get a slice of that starting capital!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by elethorisRNMD
      I know now I'm a fish, however evolutionary pressures will one day turn me into a barracuda, and then hopefully a shark.

Oo, luckily I'm from the UK so I'll definitely get a slice of that starting capital!
      Well, as you know, fish travel in schools, and this is a school, after all.

Glad to hear that you're going for the starting capital.

Once that is done, my first recommendation would be the NL Beginner's Course

Welcome aboard!
      --VS
    • elethorisRNMD
      elethorisRNMD
      Basic
      Haha this is a school indeed! Thank you Vorpal! I'll definately be signing up! See you around the forums!
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      You sound ....... addicted. I hope you can stop.
    • elethorisRNMD
      elethorisRNMD
      Basic
      Haha it's a pride thing more than an actual addiction- I've been addicted to stuff before, but this is nothing like smoking or whatnot- more a ''shit, I'm smart, I should be able to do well at this''. My narcissism makes me do shit like that.

Well, over the past week I've grown my BR back to 162 euros playing only freerolls- which is nice. And stop? No, definately not- I'm only starting!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Do I detect a blog coming on? Oh go on, you know you want to!

Regards and have fun,

Mal.
    • elethorisRNMD
      elethorisRNMD
      Basic
      Haha well Gadget perhaps later- once I've built my bankroll to a sometihng bigger than just a couple hundred people might care, but for now I'm just someone grinding it out at low stakes and who wants to hear about that! :D But definately once I've actually accomplished something I think is worth bragging about! :)
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      Blogs are annoying to update, I suggest you just read others. That is easier.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum
      Blogs are annoying to update, I suggest you just read others. That is easier.
      you are a wise, wise man